Drinking on Public Course

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am hosting a long lost friend visiting us from the States. He is a avg golfer. I asked him how serious he was about his golf, to which the response was.. 'I am relaxed, just social golf. We can wander around the course drinking beers and hitting a few balls'. Now having played stateside, I know it is fairly common for the drinks cart to come around and be bit stiff by the time you reach the 16th hole. So he was very surprised that you cannot drink here.

Question>
1) Considering most of our courses are public land, can you bring your own and drink on the course (moderate not pissing)
2) Would you call the Marshal if you see the group in front of you sipping from brown paper bags?

D

Deleted member 18588

Maybe you can on muni's and pay and play courses but most members clubs that I know of would take a dim view of drinking on the course.

Afraid I don't understand the reference to public land. After all many towns and cities now ban drinking in public in large parts of their centres.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Really? I play a members course, and we have a drinks buggy, and, shock, horror, call the press, it sells beer.

I often take a beer out onto the course, esp in the late summer evenings. Why not?

Jeez, we are not professionals. Our livelihoods dont depend on our scores.

Golf is meant to be fun.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
No harm in having a few sherbets on the course, wire in. Hardest thing is keeping them cold or just drink them quickly 😁

D

Deleted member 18588

Really? I play a members course, and we have a drinks buggy, and, shock, horror, call the press, it sells beer.

I often take a beer out onto the course, esp in the late summer evenings. Why not?

Jeez, we are not professionals. Our livelihoods dont depend on our scores.

Golf is meant to be fun.

Sorry to hear that you have to have a drink for it to be fun!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t see any prob if you want a drink.
My bags heavy enough without a load of beer bottles/cans in it.
Just be careful if you drive home.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry to hear that you have to have a drink for it to be fun!

I dont think within Murphs post he ever said he needed to "have" a drink for it to be fun

I also think you are wrong in regards the most members clubs would take dim view

Most members clubs i have played either serve alcohol in the halfway house or on a drink buggy as you go round. In fact a good deal of them even have it on draft.

That includes some of the biggest most prestigious clubs in the country.

I dont expect any of them to take a dim view when they server it in the first place.

What i would expect them to take a dim view too is drunken behaviour on the golf course the likes you would see in a pub or on a street but then thats doesnt really happen on the whole.

As with anything whether it be a members cliub or a muni pay and play it will always be about respecting where you are and the company you are in

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am hosting a long lost friend visiting us from the States. He is a avg golfer. I asked him how serious he was about his golf, to which the response was.. 'I am relaxed, just social golf. We can wander around the course drinking beers and hitting a few balls'. Now having played stateside, I know it is fairly common for the drinks cart to come around and be bit stiff by the time you reach the 16th hole. So he was very surprised that you cannot drink here.

Question>
1) Considering most of our courses are public land, can you bring your own and drink on the course (moderate not pissing)
2) Would you call the Marshal if you see the group in front of you sipping from brown paper bags?

Well public courses might be...and I am not sure that public courses are the majority of courses (not that I see any difference when it comes to imbibing alcohol during a round)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Judging by the number of beer bottles you see in the bins (and elsewhere) on some courses I think it's quite common here...
Exactly what I was going to say. I never seem to see anyone drinking on the course but I see used cans and bottles in every bin on the way round. I don't usually have a drink until the end of the round, but in summer we have had one on the way once or twice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not take a dim view of players drinking from cans on the course.

I take a very dim view of the players that then throw the empty can in to the bushes. You carried a full can all the way out surely it is not too much trouble to carry an empty one to the next rubbish bin.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I do not take a dim view of players drinking from cans on the course.

I take a very dim view of the players that then throw the empty can in to the bushes. You carried a full can all the way out surely it is not too much trouble to carry an empty one to the next rubbish bin.

Same applies with soft drinks though, not just beer. The woods are full of cans and drinks bottles. I have never seen anyone do it, but they must do or they would not be there. Most of the guys I play with would go nuts if someone they were playing with did this.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a wee hip flask of JD Honey in my bag at all times just in case my PPs or I want to have a swig to drown our sorrows over a particularly bad hole or toast a wee birdie every now and again :D

cs1986

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a friend who would sometimes take 1 or 2 bottles round with him. He would say it was to 'help with the nerves and to settle him' but I think he just liked a beer in the sun.

It never bothered me and it didn't affect his conduct on the course