Dress Code - Most Unusual Inclusions/Exclusions

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just reading that a (famous) drummer was told he had to cover up his tattoos on the course and clubhouse of a particular members club (the wording in the club code is "Prominent tattoos must be covered at all times") And made me wonder, what's the more unusual items allowed/not allowed in dress codes that you've come across? (so we're not talking about colour/length of sock here)

Checking the clubs website another couple of items caught my notice:
For women: "Shorts and skirts must be no more than 13cms above the knee" (what intrigues me is how they came up with that exact measurement!)
For men/women: In several areas of the clubhouse (excluding dinning rooms) "Appropriate shoes are essential and may be worn without socks" (which seems pretty forward thinking given its a club with J&T rule in dinning rooms... but it is also located in hotter climbs)

Not making any judgment about the above club or its rules, just interested in the rules that struck me as unusual

At my local course it's ok not to wear socks anywhere in clubhouse during the day (can even wear flip flops) But no 'beachwear' allowed

What other (unusual) things have you seen listed that you can/can't do ?

carldudley

Visit site
"It is a local rule that all golfers on Wimbledon Common must wear plain pillar-box red coloured tops, to make them more visible to other users of this public land. We can provide these for sale, or for hire..."

I don't know of any other clubs that have a Local rule regarding the colour of their shirt/top.

Although some of the 'old boys' are still wearing the same polo from when they joined and now a more pinkish hue given several washes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"It is a local rule that all golfers on Wimbledon Common must wear plain pillar-box red coloured tops, to make them more visible to other users of this public land. We can provide these for sale, or for hire..."

I don't know of any other clubs that have a Local rule regarding the colour of their shirt/top.

Although some of the 'old boys' are still wearing the same polo from when they joined and now a more pinkish hue given several washes.
That's hilarious. Red really isn't my colour, and I don't know what I'd do with my 25-or-so non-red polos. That would be a deal-breaker against joining there. :LOL:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not golf related, but I passed a pub yesterday which had a sign in the window saying "no tracksuits after 7pm". I thought that was a bit bizarre.

RichA

Visit site

Chingford certainly used to stipulate something red being worn. Not sure if it was because the course is on common land - somebody told me it was some old by-law due to it being owned by the City of London Corporation.
Covering up visible tattoos would cause problems for half of our members.
Literally no dress code rules at our place, which I guess is unusual.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Chingford certainly used to stipulate something red being worn. Not sure if it was because the course is on common land - somebody told me it was some old by-law due to it being owned by the City of London Corporation.
Covering up visible tattoos would cause problems for half of our members.
Literally no dress code rules at our place, which I guess is unusual.

Don't know about Chingford but it's to do with the Wimbledon & Putney Commons Conservators in the case of Wimbledon Common & London Scottish Golf clubs.

https://www.londonscottishgolfclub.com/dress-code

Interestingly the dress code above bans hoodies. :)(y)

There is an act relating to them & if you live within 3/4's of a mile of them you are, or were when I lived there, liable to an additional rates demand for their upkeep;

https://www.wpcc.org.uk/about-us/the-commons-levy

Apparently red makes golfers more visible to the members of the public who seem to think the greens make perfect picnic areas. Quite ironic as the most common colour vision deficiency is red/green... :unsure::rolleyes:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our dress code at one time was so long that I doubt anybody really read it.

More importantly there was no one who enforced it. I play with some guys who regularly break it as it incudes no combat style trousers or shorts

Many years ago the secretary's office overlooked the first tee and he would be out like a shot if he saw a player wearing unacceptable clothing. These days the manager cannot even see the course from his new office.

I had one mate who had a dedicated golfing top from a 'high end company' he wore it regularly for about 20 years.

I think the things that irks me the most is that it is one rule for men and another for ladies.

D

Deleted member 25172

I'll give it 2-3 more posts, tops, before the discussion turns into how stupid the rule is that you cannot wear what color socks you want. Obviously countered with "their club, their rules".

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The Wimbledon actually makes lots of sense, so I don't think it is fair to throw it in with the length of socks nonsense.

The tattoo rule is properly barmy. I know a guy who has his army tattoos on both of his forearms, so I'm guessing he would have to wear a long sleeved polo down there :D

carldudley

Visit site
The bit about 'hiring' a polo shirt makes me cringe a little though, just can't imagine doing that o_O

I don't think LSGC hire the Polo's anymore - i think you have to buy one (probably for this reason).

I remember when Erik Anders Lang came to play and video for Skratch e he bought one (though if you watch the video it looks like the club gave it to him).

WCGC definitely hire out waterproofs and i think hire the polo's too

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The red top at Wimbledon is so walkers on the Common can see there are golfers about. Good idea too. Thankfully they didn't go for fluorescent hi viz!

I remember feeling slightly out of place at Rye as all the members seemed to wear salmon pink shorts with gaudy long socks.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
quite a common one, but only one place where anyone got a bit snooty about it was shirt tucked in.

I generally do tuck my shirt in, but with a few practice swings etc it had come untucked and was told in no uncertain terms that shirts must be tucked in at all times

AAC

Visit site

Chingford/Epping Forest used to have the same rule, I think it was because it's on common land

Dingy

Visit site
Not a golf club, but my bowling club had a rule about covering certain "religious" tattoos that one of the old boys got round by telling the committee his tattoo of King Billy on his white horse was actually Sir Gordon Richards. Only worked because it was summer and the white horse was brown.