Donald Trump, man of many faces!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Trump should've built a world class course on the South Coast. Somewhere between Southampton/Bournemouth. Near to London, nice weather, good access and even airport.
he really is a banana, seeing as his course isn't near a city, never has decent weather, and isn't near an airport.

Good grief

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
he really is a banana, seeing as his course isn't near a city, never has decent weather, and isn't near an airport.

Good grief

Last time I checked Aberdeen is a city, is actually not that far away from the airport. Also being the east cost it's much drier than the west coast but a bit colder.Last week the North east was the warmest part of the uk!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

Good grief

10 miles from Aberdeen airport, with no traffic to speak of so a 15 minute drive and less than 15 miles from Aberdeen CITY Centre. As for the weather, the East Coast of Scotland from the Tay Estuary northwards has less annual rainfall than Kent!

Jezzer777

Hacker
Visit site
Your children/grand children will not thank us for building 20000 to 30000 wind turbines but no nuclear stations; but enough coal/gas ones standing by to operate when the wind does not blow or blows to hard. Even worse there will be no coal stations ( they are being phased out, an EU directive) . We will be relying on imported gas from countries who might not be as friendly 20/30/40 years hence. In short we have/are sleepwalking into an unmitigated disaster.

The Govts energy policy is to replace like for like nuclear but that 40 year old coal plants are being replaced by renewables and some new gas plants, due to the carbon dioxide generated. The UK standby generation has to be sufficient to cover the largest baseload generator which is Sellafield so that comment is a myth. If coal were to be replaced there'd need to be a network of pipes extending from the point of generation to the north sea gas and oil fields to put the carbon dioxide into the voids created. This could be done but the Govt has shied away, the cost is massive and business has no certainty so won't invest. Wonder what people will do when the lights go out?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
10 miles from Aberdeen airport, with no traffic to speak of so a 15 minute drive and less than 15 miles from Aberdeen CITY Centre. As for the weather, the East Coast of Scotland from the Tay Estuary northwards has less annual rainfall than Kent!

Wooooooosh....Hugh's comments have gone right over the top of the head!!:rofl:

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Last time I checked Aberdeen is a city, is actually not that far away from the airport. Also being the east cost it's much drier than the west coast but a bit colder.Last week the North east was the warmest part of the uk!

Wooooooosh....Hugh's comments have gone right over the top of the head!!:rofl:
^^^^erm this, I was responding (sarcastically) to A1ex's ignorant comments.

T

thecraw

So many numpties on here that spout half baked nonsense without backing up facts or figures.

Firstly. (COSTS)

Wind energy is one of the cheapest of the renewable energy technologies. It is competitive with new clean coal fired power stations and cheaper than new nuclear power. The cost of wind energy varies according to many factors. An average for a new onshore wind farm in a good location is 3-4 pence per unit, competitive with new coal (2.5-4.5p) and cheaper than new nuclear (4-7p). Electricity from smaller wind farms can be more expensive.

Secondly. (MANUFACTURE)

The average wind farm in the UK will pay back the energy used in its manufacture within six to eight months, this compares favourably with coal or nuclear power stations, which take about six months.

Thirdly. ( OUTPUT)

A modern wind turbine produces electricity 70-85% of the time, but it generates different outputs dependent on wind speed. Over the course of a year, it will generate about 30% of the theoretical maximum output. This is known as its load factor. The load factor of conventional power stations is on average 50%. (this can only improve as harnessing technology increases)

People listen to idiots like James May too often. There are plenty of real facts and hard evidence to be found on the subjects of wind farms.

Also Salmond is not trying to gain public favour, its all down to the fact that we (Britain) must reduce our essissions and also have a target of creating a minimum of 15% of our energy by greener renewable sources by 2020. If this is delivered properly and efficiently we (Britain) can actually achieve a target of 30-35%. We are lucky (maybe unlucky golf wise) to live in the windiest country in Europe.

I cant be bothered going back through the thread but whoever said our children won't thank us for windmills all over the country really needs to really think what they are saying. Maybe its best we just exhaust our already limited resources!!!!!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi theCraw!

Some interesting figures there. Asking out of genuine interest rather than to be argumentative - can you provide a link to your source, I'd like to read further.

Still think they're an eyesore!

Cheers!

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So many numpties on here that spout half baked nonsense without backing up facts or figures.

Firstly. (COSTS)

Wind energy is one of the cheapest of the renewable energy technologies. It is competitive with new clean coal fired power stations and cheaper than new nuclear power. The cost of wind energy varies according to many factors. An average for a new onshore wind farm in a good location is 3-4 pence per unit, competitive with new coal (2.5-4.5p) and cheaper than new nuclear (4-7p). Electricity from smaller wind farms can be more expensive.

Secondly. (MANUFACTURE)

The average wind farm in the UK will pay back the energy used in its manufacture within six to eight months, this compares favourably with coal or nuclear power stations, which take about six months.

Thirdly. ( OUTPUT)

A modern wind turbine produces electricity 70-85% of the time, but it generates different outputs dependent on wind speed. Over the course of a year, it will generate about 30% of the theoretical maximum output. This is known as its load factor. The load factor of conventional power stations is on average 50%. (this can only improve as harnessing technology increases)

People listen to idiots like James May too often. There are plenty of real facts and hard evidence to be found on the subjects of wind farms.

Also Salmond is not trying to gain public favour, its all down to the fact that we (Britain) must reduce our essissions and also have a target of creating a minimum of 15% of our energy by greener renewable sources by 2020. If this is delivered properly and efficiently we (Britain) can actually achieve a target of 30-35%. We are lucky (maybe unlucky golf wise) to live in the windiest country in Europe.

I cant be bothered going back through the thread but whoever said our children won't thank us for windmills all over the country really needs to really think what they are saying. Maybe its best we just exhaust our already limited resources!!!!!

It feels wrong, but I like and agree with all the above (imagine if we were independent, with wind/tidal/wave, we'd be sorted ;) )

I reckon Trump is planning an exit strategy.The golf course is irrelevant, a by-product of planning for the houses, a misty-eyed romantic cover for money making.Then the worlds economy went Pete Tong and he can't take a risk on building the houses and needs an 'out' whereby he's not the baddie.Blame the local farmer, blame the wind farms, blame the wee fat jambo,blame anyone except himself.
He's taken The Archerfield model, enhanced it but timed it badly.

I hope he punts it, maybe Kingsbarns/Castle Stuart would like a third course?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again you are flawed Mr Craw, I suggest you check your facts and figures again.
Having previously worked in a gas fired power station (albiet for 6 months) I can tell you the output from a few silly windfarms will not come anywhere near the power demand from Scotland let alone the UK. It would take thousands of them and it would not be near enough. In the age where we are using more and more gadgets the average houshold consumption has trebled and as technology advances this demand per household will in all honesty increase.
So on behalf of all us numpties lets be sensible and build some nuclear stations because we all know that gas in the North Sea is running out ans due to the silly tax regime of the government drilling for new fields is unlikely to happpen anytime soon. Also if you want clean power then harness what Scotland has plenty of Rain! Hydro power is a clean source of energy and plentifull as well.

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the only way to go is nuclear forget wind or waves as this power cant be stored or solar pv make it that every new home must be aligned and fitted with this sytem could produce as much as 3 power stations but only good during the day so nuclear back up.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It feels wrong, but I like and agree with all the above (imagine if we were independent, with wind/tidal/wave, we'd be sorted ;) )

I reckon Trump is planning an exit strategy.The golf course is irrelevant, a by-product of planning for the houses, a misty-eyed romantic cover for money making.Then the worlds economy went Pete Tong and he can't take a risk on building the houses and needs an 'out' whereby he's not the baddie.Blame the local farmer, blame the wind farms, blame the wee fat jambo,blame anyone except himself.
He's taken The Archerfield model, enhanced it but timed it badly.

I hope he punts it, maybe Kingsbarns/Castle Stuart would like a third course?
Then how do you explain building the course when the recession was already in full swing? How do you explain him offering to come over for parliamentary debate on the matter? How do you explain him making a large donation to a local anti-windfarm campaign?

None show signs of an exit strategy, more someone who is raging at his perfect course being spoiled.

A1ex

Head Pro
Visit site
^^^^erm this, I was responding (sarcastically) to A1ex's ignorant comments.

If you're going to insult me at least have a valid reason you ???????

How are my comments ignorant? Please explain.

I never even gave an opinion on Trump's venture in Scotland. Go back and read them before you have the cheek to call me ignorant. My comments were about building a world class resort on the South Coast. It would appear you've taken my comments about a seperate resort and somehow seen them as a slight on his Scottish plans. You've then called me ignorant :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Wind turbines are a blot on the land scape but then i might be bias As i work at a nuclear power plant there are lots of pros and cons with both. Nuclear is the waste it produces and wind turbines is that they dont work if no wind and turn them off with too much wind.But the main issue is Trump he didnt give a toss about the locals when he wanted to build the course so this is pay back What goes around comes around.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you're going to insult me at least have a valid reason you ????.

How are my comments ignorant? Please explain.

I never even gave an opinion on Trump's venture in Scotland.

As this is a thread about Menie, you clearly implied that he was building in the wrong place with this comment - "Near to London, nice weather, good access and even airport."

As has been pointed out, Aberdeen gets less rainfall than Kent, in fact one of the driest parts of the UK, is the oil capital of Europe, has good access, and an airport. Your ill informed post was obviously implying that none of these applied, and if you go back, you'll see I was not the only one that thought this. If you didn't mean this, I'd be astonished.

Also, there's a reason he's not building "near to London", because he's building for the golf tourist market, specifically the Japs and the Yanks, so funnily enough, that means Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But the main issue is Trump he didnt give a toss about the locals when he wanted to build the course so this is pay back What goes around comes around.
Except that the locals largely backed his course, and largely agree with him on the turbines.

The ones who didn't give a toss about 'locals', were the likes of Martin Ford & Debra Stoor (who are not local) who drummed up a rent a mob from across the country against the golf resort, local opinion was very much behind Trump.

T

thecraw

Again you are flawed Mr Craw, I suggest you check your facts and figures again.
Having previously worked in a gas fired power station (albiet for 6 months) I can tell you the output from a few silly windfarms will not come anywhere near the power demand from Scotland let alone the UK. It would take thousands of them and it would not be near enough. In the age where we are using more and more gadgets the average houshold consumption has trebled and as technology advances this demand per household will in all honesty increase.
So on behalf of all us numpties lets be sensible and build some nuclear stations because we all know that gas in the North Sea is running out ans due to the silly tax regime of the government drilling for new fields is unlikely to happpen anytime soon. Also if you want clean power then harness what Scotland has plenty of Rain! Hydro power is a clean source of energy and plentifull as well.

Actually I'm not flawed in the slightest. Having sat on a local community council with regards to the implications of a proposed wind farm on the Clyde Muirshiel area which overlooks the village I live in I have been privy to a lot of information and debate on this issue. I have been to seminars on the topic and had access to a lot of facts and figures as well as tours of local wind farms.

Instead of being brainwashed by your former employers who are only trying to save their jobs research the real facts and figures.

Wind, tidal flow and wave energy will become the future with back up coming from either coal or nuclear power stations.

Also what is also false is everyones claims that wind turbines don't work when its too windy. The turbines will work in winds up to 50 mph. The turbines simples increase the resistance when the winds rise. Over 50mph then they are shut down.

Again Hydro is a decent system however the financial costs and landscape inpact are actually greater than wind farming.

Status
Not open for further replies.