Trump Aberdeen offer

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, financially they care massively about the Open.

That was a huge factor in Troon members reversing the vote on female membership as their membership fees were going to go up if they didn’t have an Open every 10 years or so.

Troon is a members club. Turnberry isn't it's a resort course where dollar is King!

D

Deleted member 17920

£95 isn’t exactly top price, even in April.
Start of the growing season if you are lucky, it’s good value at £95.

It’s not worth £200 to play it then.

Also no tourists around in April or November so the courses are so much quieter hence a few deals to be had.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Both are Jewels for Scottish golf and are more likely to attract golfers from all over the world more than any other UK courses including Open Rota courses

Nonsense. I bet St.Andrews draws at least 10 times more people than both of those put together.

Other open venues (R.Troon & Muirfield, maybe not Carnoustie) are private clubs that only take visitors on 2 days per week.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So you think Turnberry needs an Open?

When they shut the course for months to prepare, they lose visitor income, guest income, merchandise income, food and beverage income?

Do you honestly think financially they care about an Open when the course isn't compensated by the R&A for hosting it?

I thought the R&A paid the host club handsomely.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's a offer not the normal price Grant85 my point is people will pay the full price to play the courses even if it's £300 per round

Nobody I know would pay £300 but I do know people who pay about £100 for Turnberry via Golf in Scotland or for the open at Trump Aberdeen.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure what your point is here Grant85, both his courses will survive without the help of the Open.
Trump craves the Open though - he wanted it for Aberdeen but was never going to get it and it’s why he bought Turnberry , but it won’t get there as well

They are no doubt stunning courses but it wouldn’t surprise me if they both run at losses - rightly or wrongly there are people who won’t play at a course owned by him

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought the R&A paid the host club handsomely.

You may be correct but I was under the impression that the host club got "compensation" for disruption only.

Basically return the course to the condition it was in, help repair walkways, tented village areas where grass is damaged.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Trump craves the Open though - he wanted it for Aberdeen but was never going to get it and it’s why he bought Turnberry , but it won’t get there as well

They are no doubt stunning courses but it wouldn’t surprise me if they both run at losses - rightly or wrongly there are people who won’t play at a course owned by him

Trump Aberdeen wee wee's all over Royal Liverpool. Fabulous track and if the R&A are insular enough to discriminate against a course due to the owner I wouldn't be surprised if good old Uncle Donald was the man to take them to task.

D

Deleted member 15344

Trump Aberdeen wee wee's all over Royal Liverpool. Fabulous track and if the R&A are insular enough to discriminate against a course due to the owner I wouldn't be surprised if good old Uncle Donald was the man to take them to task.

There is nothing Trump can do about it- it’s up to the R&A where they take the Open and they won’t go near a course owned by him - their choice and it’s one a lot will support.

D

Deleted member 17920

You may be correct but I was under the impression that the host club got "compensation" for disruption only.

Basically return the course to the condition it was in, help repair walkways, tented village areas where grass is damaged.
I think they get way more than disruption money it’s very lucrative to host host an open, even having regional qualifying is very profitable.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think they get way more than disruption money it’s very lucrative to host host an open, even having regional qualifying is very profitable.

Cheers wasn't aware of that, maybe I misheard or was misinformed when I spoke to a member of Royal Troon. They were in dispute with the R&A over damage caused by the tented village.