Trump Aberdeen offer

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No - the guy's brand is toxic. Must be a lot of people, both European and American, will stay away from his resorts.

From a marketing point of view he would probably make more money if they just took the Trump name and branding off the resorts.

Obviously there were reports that Turnberry made a big loss a few years ago, but I believe it took into account a period where they were doing a big refurb.

This is off course just your opinion ?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Each to their own of course.

And while the courses are no doubt incredible, especially the fact he had the Aberdeen course commissioned and it will likely outlive him and be a legacy in the area for decades, I'm not sure his brand is all that helpful to Scottish golf tourism.

Even if Turnberry and Trump Aberdeen closed tomorrow, I doubt it would really make a dent in the Scottish golf tourism. There is still huge attraction to play other courses and there are many who will travel and happily avoid Trump venues.

If these venues continue to lose 8 or 9 figure sums a year, then it is inevitable they will be sold and when that time comes it will likely be a boost for these venues in terms of visitor numbers and revenue.

What a load of crap both Turnberry and Aberdeen will generate thousands to the local economy and are most likely to be in every golfers wish list

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What a load of crap both Turnberry and Aberdeen will generate thousands to the local economy and are most likely to be in every golfers wish list

Yip I agree, Trump Turnberry is the jewel in Ayrshires golfing crown and likewise, Trump Aberdeen is the jewel in Aberdeenshires golfing crown.

Both in their own right are huge draws that bring extra tourism and revenue to other courses on their doorstep.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yip I agree, Trump Turnberry is the jewel in Ayrshires golfing crown and likewise, Trump Aberdeen is the jewel in Aberdeenshires golfing crown.

Both in their own right are huge draws that bring extra tourism and revenue to other courses on their doorstep.

Both are Jewels for Scottish golf and are more likely to attract golfers from all over the world more than any other UK courses including Open Rota courses

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

But my point was without the Trump brand they would likely be even bigger draws.

Certainly the evidence is;
* Turnberry lost £3.38M for last posted result
* lost £17.6M the previous year when they did the refurb
* posted losses 4 years in a row
* Aberdeen offering a £300 course for £95

Like I said, would not be surprised if these are sold within the next decade. Even the Trumps are t daft enough to keep businesses going without making some profit.

Perhaps the R&A should do a deal and offer to buy them, if they give him one Open at Turnberry and a Scottish Open at Aberdeen.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But my point was without the Trump brand they would likely be even bigger draws.

Like I said, would not be surprised if these are sold within the next decade. Even the Trumps are t daft enough to keep businesses going without making some profit.

Perhaps the R&A should do a deal and offer to buy them, if they give him one Open at Turnberry and a Scottish Open at Aberdeen.

The R&A buy his courses what planet are you living on..........

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

So cutting a loss by over £14 million isn't progress????

Trump Aberdeen has always done deals for Scottish residents and all golf courses do twilight deals so that is also a mute point.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The R&A buy his courses what planet are you living on..........

Well via St Andrews Trust, or more likely some other Scottish golf trust / special purpose vehicle.

They are obviously not happy with the situation at Turnberry and is well overdue an Open having hosted in 2009 and my guess is they’ll continue to avoid, especially while he is president. This is obviously unhelpful to Ayrshire.

They are due to announce 2022 soon and I’d guess it will be Lythm, Muirfield, Liverpool, St. Andrews through to 2025.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well via St Andrews Trust, or more likely some other Scottish golf trust / special purpose vehicle.

They are obviously not happy with the situation at Turnberry and is well overdue an Open having hosted in 2009 and my guess is they’ll continue to avoid, especially while he is president. This is obviously unhelpful to Ayrshire.

They are due to announce 2022 soon and I’d guess it will be Lythm, Muirfield, Liverpool, St. Andrews through to 2025.

Not sure what your point is here Grant85, both his courses will survive without the help of the Open.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure what your point is here Grant85, both his courses will survive without the help of the Open.

The R&A are obviously avoiding Turnberry with him as owner.

Ok, so it’s no disaster, but I’d imagine if he was no longer involved they would have the Open back there right away.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Ok, so it’s no disaster, but I’d imagine if he was no longer involved they would have the Open back there right away.

So you think Turnberry needs an Open?

When they shut the course for months to prepare, they lose visitor income, guest income, merchandise income, food and beverage income?

Do you honestly think financially they care about an Open when the course isn't compensated by the R&A for hosting it?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Yep it's no disaster because both courses are world class and people will always want to play them and pay top price

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
So you think Turnberry needs an Open?

When they shut the course for months to prepare, they lose visitor income, guest income, merchandise income, food and beverage income?

Do you honestly think financially they care about an Open when the course isn't compensated by the R&A for hosting it?

Yes, financially they care massively about the Open.

That was a huge factor in Troon members reversing the vote on female membership as their membership fees were going to go up if they didn’t have an Open every 10 years or so.