Doing your own grips

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is it worth doing your own grips?

I'm looking at golf pride multi compounds. I can pick them up at around £6/£6.50 a grip on ebay. But i've never done a grip before.

Or is it best to get them off the pro at £9 or £10 a grip and assuring the job is done correctly.

I'm looking at doing 9 grips. So I could be saving up to £40. Probably £30.

Any feedback from positive/negative attempts you've had?

Cheers

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
It certainly is! it is so simple to do and you will get immense satisfaction from doing it. Do not be afraid of it as it is a simple process, once you have put your first grip on you will fly through the others.
Google golf pride and check out the how to do it video. Do not worry about having to use a vice I do mine and have never used one and it has not made a bit of difference.
Give it a go.

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Do not worry about having to use a vice I do mine and have never used one and it has not made a bit of difference.
Give it a go.

Not sure if that's good advice. I've put on thousands of grips and wouldn't do without a vice. I like to have the club secure, with the leading edge vertical, so i can align the grip perfectly.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ordinarily Id say get your pro to do it, however grips really are quite easy though as long as you have the tape, white spirits and a sharp stanley knife. Mistakes can be fixed with more white spirits.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I reckon is what i'll do tomorrow is have a bit of a hagggle with the pro. Tell him i'll think about it and see how much money i'll save online.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you like doing things yourslef and get satisfaction then yes it is worth it I will be doing mine soon enough then have ago at doing some paint filling on the clubs to match the new colour :eek:

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've put my fair share on and stand by my statement you do not need a vise, I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy but if you are doing 9, you'll manage without, oh and i've seen some shocking so called pro jobs as well.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like doing it. You definitely get a sense of satisfaction. I've found you really need a vice,

Also a tip I picked up from here is put the club shaft with the tape on in the bottle of solvent/ white spirit. Pouring the stuff over the tape doesn't really soak it enough.

T

thecraw

No vice reqired at all, just put the toe up against the skirting board/wall with the face square and put push the grip on, make any minor adjustments and bobs yer uncle.

Its ever so easy and satisfying.

Also look at Gamola, they do grips and free fitting advice.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is not too bad, I have done it a few times and quite enjoy it, great satisfaction. I dont use a vice and have not found it a miss, but if you have one I guess it would be a help. Try a cheap grip on a older club first maybe to see how it goes.

have fun

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I've put my fair share on and stand by my statement you do not need a vise, I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy but if you are doing 9, you'll manage without, oh and i've seen some shocking so called pro jobs as well.

Would you really recommend someone that has never put a grip on before to try on their first attempt to do it without a vice?????
Over the years i will have put on as many grips as anyone, and i wouldn't do it without a vice. I need both hands to get grip on fully and lined up perfectly.
It is easy to do when you know what you're doing, would strongly recommend using a vice and a rubber vice clamp, just don't tighten it too much when gripping a club with a graphite shaft.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site

Would you really recommend someone that has never put a grip on before to try on their first attempt to do it without a vice?????
Over the years i will have put on as many grips as anyone, and i wouldn't do it without a vice. I need both hands to get grip on fully and lined up perfectly.
It is easy to do when you know what you're doing, would strongly recommend using a vice and a rubber vice clamp, just don't tighten it too much when gripping a club with a graphite shaft.
OH I give in......Do not ever try and regrip a club without a vise under any circumstances ;)