Does your Golf Travel?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Nope it doesn't travel as I am rubbish at Woodhall and rubbish away :p

Plus when I go away its rush rush rush and cram in 36 a day so I feel wrecked anyway, that's what I am blaming my crap golf on anyway :)
At least it is not lack of talent then.:whistle:

I generally play better away from my club, as after 12 years I know where all the trouble is, and consistently find it. Won my fair share of away days, but never won a major singles event at my club.:(

sunshine

Visit site
I always seem to play better abroad, don't know why, maybe it's the style of course, or just the enjoyment of playing with the sun on my back

My tour mates insist my golf is solar powered

This for me too.

I think it's partly down to the courses, modern championship courses in Spain etc are all wide open off the tee with quick true greens, seems to suit me.
Partly the preparation, I'll get down the range a few evenings in the week before.
Partly the focus, I'm there to play golf, no work, no kids, nothing to worry about except for club selection.
Partly the relaxation, the sun, banter with mates, usually a slow round so plenty of time to think about the strategy of each shot. It all adds up.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes and no....just come back from a week in Scotland. 10 of us played 5 times, so 50 rounds. None of us bettered 36 points until the last day when 3 of us did, on the same course we played on day 1. I think generally, the issue with new courses is the ball that's offline. At home you have a pretty good idea where your misses go, on a new track you may be 5 or 10 yards out looking in the clag, which is then a lost ball. A couple of those and life starts to get tough.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes and no....just come back from a week in Scotland. 10 of us played 5 times, so 50 rounds. None of us bettered 36 points until the last day when 3 of us did, on the same course we played on day 1. I think generally, the issue with new courses is the ball that's offline. At home you have a pretty good idea where your misses go, on a new track you may be 5 or 10 yards out looking in the clag, which is then a lost ball. A couple of those and life starts to get tough.
depending on where you were 36 points would have shot the lights out in many a comp this weekend, in fact 36 would win the sunday stableford at ours most weeks

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Travels fairly well. Three reasons.

Home course requires a bit of thinking off the tee. So not always blasting with a driver. I have learned to play more conservative and tactical tee shots.

My driving is generally good and steady and I seem to be able to transfer that to new courses fairly well - so I usually get the ball well enough in play off the tee.

The other might be a very counter-intuitive one. As I don't use any form of distance measuring device I can only rely on my eyesight, course planner, and on-course distances and as a result my distance calcs will be in error. But because I know that I don't really know any exact distances I tend to choose a club and a shot and just trust that I've got it about right. And because I have lower expectations of myself I tend to hit the ball pretty well - and get there or thereabouts.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before changing my swing, adding some triggers and reference points to know I'm getting into reasonable positions, absolutely not. It would start okay at the start of a holiday and steadily get worse and worse as the holiday went on. Developed the shanks in Mauritius for example and the last week of golf was miserable. However with changes to my swing in early 2018 my trip to Gran Canaria last year my golf just got better and better and by the end of the holiday I was shooting in the 70s round Salobre and felt I had the ball on a string with my driver. So yeah, now it does now that I know my swing a bit better, but previously it would be an utter disaster.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think mine travels reasonably well. There's nothing overly to worry about when you travel. 150yds on your own course is the same as 150yds on an away course. Just play the yardages and play sensibly.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
my golf does not travel well. it's either riding the bogey train and could not buy any pars or a reasonable number of pars (7-9) but far too many blobs. fact is that my up-and-down rate away from my home courses is awful.
i have no real explanation for this and your contributions don't enlighten me either but at least i am not alone with this phenomenon

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
my golf does not travel well. it's either riding the bogey train and could not buy any pars or a reasonable number of pars (7-9) but far too many blobs. fact is that my up-and-down rate away from my home courses is awful.
i have no real explanation for this and your contributions don't enlighten me either but at least i am not alone with this phenomenon

I think chipping and putting is always going to be a bit of a struggle playing a course you don't know, as you won't know the cunning borrows on the green and the speed of it.

I think we underestimate how well we know the greens of the course we play regularly. I played with a new member last weekend - his first as a member and only the second time ever - previous being 4 weeks before. An OK player - he really struggled judging the obvious slopes and the less obvious borrows - and three-putted quite a few times by simply not reading the green.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Changes in grass is the main factor for me. Grain on greens can be mind blowing, watching a putt turn uphill due to grain is crazy.
Rough that balls are impossible to get out of is mental.
Perfect fairways are nice but how the club interacts with the change in grass is odd. I always start hitting down on the ball more. Never ends well for me.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Society goes abroad every year. Does the golf travel too? There's always one or 2 each day (out of 16-20) who have good scores; a few that have shockers and the rest probably below average. Beers before, during and after combined with 4am nights out are all contributory factors so no major surprise!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve never played abroad but I think mine travels pretty well in the uk. I’ve had some of my best comp rounds in opens, and 3 different times had a cut to my lowest ever hc at the time.

The thing I do find difficult on away courses is turning a bad round into an ok one. On my home course I’ve turned a horrible start into a respectable score plenty of times, but if I start bad on an away day it usually doesn’t get any better!

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just sent my game an email as I don't know where it is at the moment.the email said could you please turn up at the same course I do in future ,starting with Tandridge next monday