Does your Golf Travel?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just returned from our annual boys trip, where once again, my golf failed miserably. Have worked really hard on my game this year, both with lessons and practice, and the week before travelling, was comfortably shooting below handicap on our track, and really looking forward to the trip. As soon as we rocked up in Spain, all semblance of any golfing ability disappeared..... well mostly. Could drive the ball like a demon, and pretty straight, but the irons were awful, couldn't hit any distance at all, was taking two clubs more for the same distance I would at home, and still not make it. Day two I had at least 20 sh***s, pretty much destroyed the round, day 3 was putting, cost me at least 7 points with puts lipping out or stopping looking in. All in all, a dismal performance, and becoming a little repetitive when travelling away. Rocked back up at my home club last night for a quick 9, and blitzed round in 4 over gross, with a birdie, sandy par and a couple of up and downs, just don't get why I couldn't play like that on the trip..... so do any of you suffer in the same way? Does your gof travel?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does my golf travel? Sadly, yes. I play no better away than I do at home. :)

On the more informative side - generally, going away is not cause for a meltdown, and meltdown is not a regular occurrence. My game is still variable, but some of my best games have been away, sometimes even on "first visit" courses.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not really noticed much difference when playing with the family and when playing new courses. It all depends if I turn up to play or some Russian seal clubber turns up and percentage wise it doesn't vary if at home or away courses.

However I(and wife/son) have really noticed I concentrate less and take it less serious, if playing in a comp or society day, when compared to playing matchplay against them socially. I just do not focus on the hole and tend to switch off, so tend to shot poorly. Still not quite sure why but have to say I don't really care, rather just relax and enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 17920

Nope it doesn't travel as I am rubbish at Woodhall and rubbish away :p

Plus when I go away its rush rush rush and cram in 36 a day so I feel wrecked anyway, that's what I am blaming my crap golf on anyway :)

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Just returned from our annual boys trip, where once again, my golf failed miserably. Have worked really hard on my game this year, both with lessons and practice, and the week before travelling, was comfortably shooting below handicap on our track, and really looking forward to the trip. As soon as we rocked up in Spain, all semblance of any golfing ability disappeared..... well mostly. Could drive the ball like a demon, and pretty straight, but the irons were awful, couldn't hit any distance at all, was taking two clubs more for the same distance I would at home, and still not make it. Day two I had at least 20 sh***s, pretty much destroyed the round, day 3 was putting, cost me at least 7 points with puts lipping out or stopping looking in. All in all, a dismal performance, and becoming a little repetitive when travelling away. Rocked back up at my home club last night for a quick 9, and blitzed round in 4 over gross, with a birdie, sandy par and a couple of up and downs, just don't get why I couldn't play like that on the trip..... so do any of you suffer in the same way? Does your gof travel?

I can’t drive the ball in Spain normally hit about 3 then the 4 iron or 3 wood comes out ... and I get really tense if I’ve never played the course before

Tension kills speed in a golf swing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had a lot of rounds where I'm much better on a new course than I am on my own. If I don't know the course I'm focusing more on plotting my way round it, whereas on my own course the only thing to focus on is my own game - which is a bad thing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tend to play okay on new courses as I think more about what I am doing. I wont burn it up but I will play to my handicap or just over it, not a mile over though. At your home course you are relaxed more, you will have played the shot you are about to play 100/1000 times and so you have more confidence in playing it. I should add, my h/c is quite high so I have a little more room to play with than better golfers :cry:

I think on a trip there can be a desperation to play well and when the odd shot goes wrong you get tenser, force it more. Start well and you relax quickly, start badly and the wheels come off at the same rate.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've had a lot of rounds where I'm much better on a new course than I am on my own. If I don't know the course I'm focusing more on plotting my way round it, whereas on my own course the only thing to focus on is my own game - which is a bad thing.
I'm the same. If I don't know the course I think more about where I'm going to put the ball, maybe take a club less and think more about the game.
On my home course, I know it more well that I know where to aim and put the ball, not that it often goes there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My golf travels well.

It is just the adjustment to a different layout and different types of grass that gets in the way.

Knowing my yardages is one thing knowing what the ball is going to do when it lands is another.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always seem to play better abroad, don't know why, maybe it's the style of course, or just the enjoyment of playing with the sun on my back

My tour mates insist my golf is solar powered

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Mine travels reasonably well. Maybe I am slightly more focused when I play a course for the first time, or I am a bit more conservative/careful in my shot selection, but I tend to do slightly better than on my home track. I think, I cut myself a bit more slack as well, emotionally, so I don't get so annoyed with myself if I do hit it into a hazard or oob or something like that after misjudging a shot. The only thing I can't handle very well is when the course has a lot of severe slopes and elevation changes, because that is something that I don't have much practice with. So when you put me on a course in the hills or mountains, I struggle more.

I am a relatively short hitter, though. So I normally can see my target area quite well. It is very rare that I could cut the corner of a dogleg for example. I guess it is a lot harder to play an unknown course if you hit it longer and can't see your landing area.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
My golf travels really very well ,it's just a shame it arrives at a different course to the one I'm trying to play.it has been known to turn up when I have and the lights are shot out but unfortunately the Twain very rarely meet .
It would be nice if it turned up at Tandridge in a couple of weeks

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Up to a point. Tend not to play new courses too well on the first visit but seem to play better on a second or third trip. I wonder if there is a degree of apathy coming from playing my own course most weeks and knowing where the danger is, what clubs to hit on most shots etc. With new courses I tend to be more respectful of the hazards, and more conscious of trying to plot a route around the course

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say it travels fairly well. In the two opens I played last year away from my home course, I had cuts at both. For it is just the relaxing at a different course, I tend not to over think my game and just enjoy the playing of a different course for a change. I just need to adjust my scoring compared to my home course. With CSS always being low at my home course, then I need to realise I can play to a higher score else where and still play to handicap.

D

Deleted member 25172

I've only played 5 away courses this year, so the data isn't really that extensive.

Princes - played crap for 36 holes in a one day competition, but during the practice round the day before I started off with 7 straight pars.
Addington - Played well, bar the first 3-4 holes or so.
Sunningdale new and old - Played better than well most of the time.
Vidbynäs (Sweden) - crap for half the round - decent on the second half.

I think the conclusion is that my golfing abilities and inconsistency is the bigger influence rather than the new course I'm playing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

Last edited by a moderator: