Does your club require a minimum number of Acceptable Scores before winning prizes in a Competition.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our club just brought in that u must submit 9 cards this season to qualify for nexts years knockouts and major board comps so seems like this is gathering pace across the board
As our requirement is six cards over the previous 12months at time of entry, and entry for board comps is phased across 3 to 4 months, in essence we will have a requirement of something like nine, maybe more, WHS qualifying cards in a competition year if you want to enter the earliest and the latest board comps.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Two drivers here, though I dont know which has the greater force. 1) The increase of the handicap limit from 28. When that came in, while we allowed people have that handicap, we limited them to 28 in competitions. But I think did away with it two years ago. Didnt hear a rationale. 2) The WHS. It certainly sees handicaps swing faster, and increase faster. So even without any deliberate manipulation, I do see how people who take their focus off the game for a few months or a season, could rise, then knuckle down, and jump a few shots better very quickly, and put in a big score before the HC caught up with them.

Where are the big score coming from, high handicaps (I dont see it), or players whose hc has gone up 3-4-5 shots in a few months (maybe) ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two drivers here, though I dont know which has the greater force. 1) The increase of the handicap limit from 28. When that came in, while we allowed people have that handicap, we limited them to 28 in competitions. But I think did away with it two years ago. Didnt hear a rationale. 2) The WHS. It certainly sees handicaps swing faster, and increase faster. So even without any deliberate manipulation, I do see how people who take their focus off the game for a few months or a season, could rise, then knuckle down, and jump a few shots better very quickly, and put in a big score before the HC caught up with them.

Where are the big score coming from, high handicaps (I dont see it), or players whose hc has gone up 3-4-5 shots in a few months (maybe) ?
Big scores at ours have come from 16 / 32 caps.
No single figure golfer has shot 58 nett /yet.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Big scores at ours have come from 16 / 32 caps.
No single figure golfer has shot 58 nett /yet.
I wouldnt be expecting the single figure hc to do it. My second point was more the 10 hc who can today move to a 15 in a year. That took many years in the past - he would shoot the occasion game-of-old score, enough to reign in the rise - but today is happening. But he then focuses, practices a little, and almost just by switching back in, can be back to his 10hc form again. Enabling him to score 45 points or whatever.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldnt be expecting the single figure hc to do it. My second point was more the 10 hc who can today move to a 15 in a year. That took many years in the past - he would shoot the occasion game-of-old score, enough to reign in the rise - but today is happening. But he then focuses, practices a little, and almost just by switching back in, can be back to his 10hc form again. Enabling him to score 45 points or whatever.
Yes that’s exactly what has happened!
Single figure was tounge in cheek :oops:

RRidges

Visit site
I chair our Handicap and Competitions Committee and I think we are quite active In this area. Beside the mandatory annual handicap review we carry out two further reviews each year and amongst our ‘data collections’ we keep specific records of team game winners and their Handicap Submissions records at the time of winning. It is this team game area that is really concerning us.

This year there are 28 teams in this record. Obviously their scores are not acceptable for Handicap. If we applied a 6 previous acceptable score rule, then 7 of these teams would have been DQ’d. One member, with only 14 scores in his record, has only submitted one score in 2022 and he has won two 4BB comps! There are other similar, but perhaps not as extreme, wins.

On reflection, it is the team competitions that are our current concern and the 6 previous rule would go a long way to equalising the field. But we feel that the rule should be a blanket rule for all competitions and not merely applied to team games.

But ……how common is this type of rule?
You may be getting too involved!

IanMcC

Visit site
Our club just brought in that u must submit 9 cards this season to qualify for nexts years knockouts and major board comps so seems like this is gathering pace across the board
Comp cards or general play? Before retirement, I worked offshore on an equal time rota. If I got 9 competition cards in a season I was lucky. If you limit this to comp cards only it is discriminatory. If its general play, then it is just harsh.

RRidges

Visit site
Comp cards or general play? Before retirement, I worked offshore on an equal time rota. If I got 9 competition cards in a season I was lucky. If you limit this to comp cards only it is discriminatory. If its general play, then it is just harsh.
With WHS it's not restricted to comp cards. So any objection is moot/out of date these days. If you only play 9 rounds/year, you are not getting vfm for your sub!
Anyway, I'm off to get beaten up by a top course in seriously hot weather - 95+ degrees F. I won't be registering a score!

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We currently require 5 Comp cards in the last 12 months
There are still people who appear to be 'working it' so may easily go to 12. That could eliminate some new members but why exactly should they expect to join a Club, get a H/cap & then expect to win an Honours Board Comp??

D

Deleted member 3432

We currently require 5 Comp cards in the last 12 months
There are still people who appear to be 'working it' so may easily go to 12. That could eliminate some new members but why exactly should they expect to join a Club, get a H/cap & then expect to win an Honours Board Comp??

Are new members cleaning up?

These 'boards' seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Both clubs I have been a member of as an adult only have a board for Club Champion and Captain.

Trophies are played for every week to get your name on but its not your name up in bright lights for winning, rightly so in my opinion as people put too much importance on it which is half the problem. Prize money is the other.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are new members cleaning up?

These 'boards' seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Both clubs I have been a member of as an adult only have a board for Club Champion and Captain.

Trophies are played for every week to get your name on but its not your name up in bright lights for winning, rightly so in my opinion as people put too much importance on it which is half the problem. Prize money is the other.
Not totally new members now but others who are definitely seen to he working the system even with our requirements. Greater requirements may discourage them more. It's very hard if folk are really wanting to cheat. All you can do is put obstacles in the way that expose them.

Dannyc

Visit site
When I read the email I thought it was harsh but it’s both comps or general play but 9 qualifying scores required

sunshine

Visit site

How is it harsh? Surely every member is capable of submitting 9 cards in 12 months. If you can’t make the weekend comps there must be midweek comps and of course the opportunity to submit general play rounds from casual play. I think it’s fair that people who don’t submit any cards are not able to win competitions.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That might have been an acceptable argument before WHS - still midweek comps though. But since WHS, if you can't put sufficient GP cards in, then you are simply not getting good value from your club subscription imo!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That might have been an acceptable argument before WHS - still midweek comps though. But since WHS, if you can't put sufficient GP cards in, then you are simply not getting good value from your club subscription imo!
A ltof people play golf in a format that is incompatible with putting in cards like matchplay.

I virtually never put in general play cards and I play quite a bit of golf but when I'm playing with my mates I have no interest in a card and virtually never put in general play scores.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A ltof people play golf in a format that is incompatible with putting in cards like matchplay.

I virtually never put in general play cards and I play quite a bit of golf but when I'm playing with my mates I have no interest in a card and virtually never put in general play scores.
There's a distinct difference between the word "can't" and the word "don't! The fact that you don't put GP scores is by choice, not lack of the ability to do so!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How is it harsh? Surely every member is capable of submitting 9 cards in 12 months. If you can’t make the weekend comps there must be midweek comps and of course the opportunity to submit general play rounds from casual play. I think it’s fair that people who don’t submit any cards are not able to win competitions.
Not just win competitions, at my place not able to enter board competitions (we have a board of one form or another for all club comps) if at the time of going to enter you don’t have 6 whs qualifying scores recorded in the rolling previous 12 months.