Do your clubs fit in your car boot?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I go in the little car I throw the clubs on the back seat and trolly in the boot

The juggernaut just throw them in the boot, with room to spare

Next year the little car goes back to the lease company and I'm hoping the Kia I replace it with will fit them nicer in the boot .. can't be any worse boot wise and to be fair it looks to have uncovered wheel arches which is the key .. don't get why companies box them in ... Just cover them and leave the space around them free for useful storage / golf clubs

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My Jag XF ( The Frag Jag ) has a huge boot, takes trolley and full bag including driver.

It is long and low, so if taking 2 bags / trolleys, the rear seats go down and then you really have loads of room for overnight bags etc

Not the most environmentally friendly vehicle in the world, but it’s lovely 🥰

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got an xc90 these days so I can fit everyone on the forum’s bag in, and if I fold down the middle row, their trolleys too.

The only useful contribution I have really, given it’s obvious it would be no problem to get the clubs in an xc90, is that I can get them in length ways, just.

I did have a bmw 3 series (saloon), not the latest one, its predecessor, and I could get the clubs and bag in horizontally with the driver and three wood removed, which then easily fitted in over the top of them on a slight angle.

I miss the 3 series, but with three kids, the tank has its place….

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve got an xc90 these days so I can fit everyone on the forum’s bag in, and if I fold down the middle row, their trolleys too.

The only useful contribution I have really, given it’s obvious it would be no problem to get the clubs in an xc90, is that I can get them in length ways, just.

I did have a bmw 3 series (saloon), not the latest one, its predecessor, and I could get the clubs and bag in horizontally with the driver and three wood removed, which then easily fitted in over the top of them on a slight angle.

I miss the 3 series, but with three kids, the tank has its place….
I camped in the back of my XC90. With all seats down it fits a double air bed in perfectly.

RichA

Visit site
I have been obsessed about fitting my gear in the boot in the past. Always took my golf bag with me on a car hunt, opening the boot is step one at a dealers. My Skoda Superb was spot on, a doddle, an old E Class managed no bother. I currently have a Mazda 6 estate, fine, but I realised now that I rarely need such a big boot, kids all left home now, and my next car will be smaller, maybe something like a VW Golf. I know the clubs and trolley wont fit in the boot, I'll just put the back seats down flat. Once you accept that it opens up a much wider choice of cars.
I've got a Golf R 5-door hatch. It's the smallest of Golf boots due to the rear diff and my specifying a space saver spare wheel under the boot floor.
Remove the parcel shelf and my GoKart2 fits in the boot with wheels off and the bag fits lying on top with the driver out of the bag. I think a normal Golf hatch would be fine.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I go in the little car I throw the clubs on the back seat and trolly in the boot

The juggernaut just throw them in the boot, with room to spare

Next year the little car goes back to the lease company and I'm hoping the Kia I replace it with will fit them nicer in the boot .. can't be any worse boot wise and to be fair it looks to have uncovered wheel arches which is the key .. don't get why companies box them in ... Just cover them and leave the space around them free for useful storage / golf clubs
They boxed them in to include First aid kits , bulb replacement kits etc.
But then cut all the little extras.
Just couldn’t be bothered to go back to just carpet I imagine.!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a Golf R 5-door hatch. It's the smallest of Golf boots due to the rear diff and my specifying a space saver spare wheel under the boot floor.
Remove the parcel shelf and my GoKart2 fits in the boot with wheels off and the bag fits lying on top with the driver out of the bag. I think a normal Golf hatch would be fine.
I have had six golf’s and never had a problem
Normal and tour bag will go in the boot but driver needs to come out.
I folded the small 1/3 rd of the back seat and put the bag up there trolley then fits fine with parcel shelf still in place.
I used a small piece of black cloth to just hide the bag that was on the seat If I was staying in the clubhouse.

Best cars I ever owned sadly the wife needs something a little higher ( RA) so bought a T Cross not a Golf but a very nice comfortable “grandad car” ( as my daughter called it).😳

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had six golf’s and never had a problem
Normal and tour bag will go in the boot but driver needs to come out.
I folded the small 1/3 rd of the back seat and put the bag up there trolley then fits fine with parcel shelf still in place.
I used a small piece of black cloth to just hide the bag that was on the seat If I was staying in the clubhouse.

Best cars I ever owned sadly the wife needs something a little higher ( RA) so bought a T Cross not a Golf but a very nice comfortable “grandad car” ( as my daughter called it).😳

I'm sorry but "driver having to come out" to Me is a massive problem

A car should be able to fit golf clubs in, they have the space around the wheels etc they just use it poorly

Going a bit mums Netty some cars can't even fit a pram in without taking a wheel off

It's like designers sit down and think how could we make these boots as useless as possible

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sorry but "driver having to come out" to Me is a massive problem

A car should be able to fit golf clubs in, they have the space around the wheels etc they just use it poorly

Going a bit mums Netty some cars can't even fit a pram in without taking a wheel off

It's like designers sit down and think how could we make these boots as useless as possible
Yes I agree.
I think it comes from having no spare in a lot of cars as well.
The cost to change anything in cars costs millions so they just don’t do it!

It’s not a problem for me so horses for courses.
A car is a car and money comes into it!

Having said that Golf’s are not cheap.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me, having to fold the back seat even a little bit is a huge red flag. I'm really paranoid about leaving anything valuable on display in the car. I hate to have the car broken into, and then the insurance company get snarky as the clubs weren't locked out of sight.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me, having to fold the back seat even a little bit is a huge red flag. I'm really paranoid about leaving anything valuable on display in the car. I hate to have the car broken into, and then the insurance company get snarky as the clubs weren't locked out of sight.
Yes understand this.
If I’m staying in the club for any length of time I put my clubs in my locker.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have been obsessed about fitting my gear in the boot in the past. Always took my golf bag with me on a car hunt, opening the boot is step one at a dealers. My Skoda Superb was spot on, a doddle, an old E Class managed no bother. I currently have a Mazda 6 estate, fine, but I realised now that I rarely need such a big boot, kids all left home now, and my next car will be smaller, maybe something like a VW Golf. I know the clubs and trolley wont fit in the boot, I'll just put the back seats down flat. Once you accept that it opens up a much wider choice of cars.
Last year's golf trip to Derbyshire was done in my mate's Astra Estate, which broke down in Dove Holes, probably the only village in the UK with nothing, pub, shop, fast food, nothing.

A random stranger out of the blue turned up and tried to fix it. When he failed, he offered to take us to our hotel in Glossop. This was 3 of us with golf bags, trolleys and luggage with not a cm of room left in the Astra, and now it was going to be 4 blokes and 3 lots of gear, but he slipped off home and came back in his Skoda Superb. I wouldn't say it was easy, but everything went in, not only that but he had mapped the engine and even loaded up as it was, it was quite scary, like the proverbial off a stick.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last year's golf trip to Derbyshire was done in my mate's Astra Estate, which broke down in Dove Holes, probably the only village in the UK with nothing, pub, shop, fast food, nothing.

A random stranger out of the blue turned up and tried to fix it. When he failed, he offered to take us to our hotel in Glossop. This was 3 of us with golf bags, trolleys and luggage with not a cm of room left in the Astra, and now it was going to be 4 blokes and 3 lots of gear, but he slipped off home and came back in his Skoda Superb. I wouldn't say it was easy, but everything went in, not only that but he had mapped the engine and even loaded up as it was, it was quite scary, like the proverbial off a stick.
I had one for 4 years. At the time I was doing university runs with my kids, holidays with them as well. Great car for effectively 4 adults plus luggage. Even with the standard 2.0d, 150bhp, it never struggled, consistently averaged over 50mpg, 52-55 on the whole. A mapped one would have been interesting 😄

Great car for a golfer, as you discovered. It's gone now, don't need such a big car anymore, but I have nothing but praise for it.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any experience of T-Roc R or Tiguan R?
Have now got a Seat Tarraco which is same chassis etc as Tiguan and can fit my clubs in the boot crossways no problem. Went to Conwy over day and by taking out my longer clubs ( in the space where seat 6 +7 would be ) got 4 carry bags in easily.
Not done 2 trolley bags and trollies yet but suspect won't be a problem.
Better all.round drive than the V 90 it replaced

Hacky

Visit site
Bag fits diagonally with all clubs in situ in my Cupra Formentor. Though I have a to drop a section of seating and lay them vertically if I have CT6 trolley in there as well. if the boot was a bit deeper they would both fit in but the parcel shelf doesn’t allow the trolley to sit on end.