Do you putt off the green?

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
DO you ever use your putter when you got a downhill slope on the green or putt off fringes?
Or like me do you use you wedge a little more or 3wood chip'n'runs etc?

What i should add too is do you use a chipping stroke or putt with your wedge/7iron/hybrid

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi MVP.
I tend to use a 7 iron or 9 iron off the fringe or the 2nd cut.I sometimes use a wedge too.
Some people use a rescue as citydweller says.Some use a 3 wood.
I think its just down to personal preference as it really is a feel shot.I also take into account where the pin is,speed of green and slope etc.I have confidence in the club i use for each shot.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I'm really close, yep, the putter gets the nod.
Otherwise, anything that suits the shot, down to a 7 iron.
Chipped up the last at the Brabazon with a 3 wood once, a monster up-hiller, if I ever saw......got up n down......what a scary shot!

Dave

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
good bit of advice when i was learning the ropes was- u`ll get a bad putt closer than a bad chip.. so bin the wedge from the fringe and u can even use ur `rescue`...
I like that one a lot ! think of that standing on the fringe it would be the putter every time.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a putting stroke with my 8-iron, with the heel of the club slightly raised. I find this very consistant as the ball lands on the green but then rolls like a putt.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
MWJ This is why I raise the heel of the club. Place the ball quite close to your feet, so the club is more upright, and slightly back in your stance. Then just use your putting stroke. I'm not saying it's the answer for everyone but it's something to try on the practise green.

T

thecraw

Every situation is different. I've used a putter from 20ft off the green on a links course as it was the most sensible option while on parkland I've used a 58 degree lob wedge from greenside where the pin is only 4 ft away.

Bottom line is play whats most natural and what YOU think has the greatest chance of getting the ball close with minimum risk.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
I thought you were asking if we putted the ball off the green from on it! You must have some fast greens, mate!

Yes, I'll use the putter if the fring is in good condition and the grass is tight. Otherwise whatever club will get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
It totally depends on the lay, if on the fringe I generally use my putter, if over 2 foot from the green to 15 foot I use my 7i for a chip and run and the rest a 54 depending of whats in front of me.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
No one coming forward and saying they use a chipper?

I usually use a 7-8 Iron with a putting grip. Sometimes use 64 degree wedge when im feeling daring.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
No one coming forward and saying they use a chipper?

Bought one, tried it on the course a few times, been in the garage for the last 7 years gathering dust.

If any one wants to make me an offer I can't refuse for a left handed chipper, pm me. It's a brilliant club, great for distance control, it can be custom fitted for shaft length and makes the chipping part of the game almost too easy - it should be banned :rolleyes: :rolleyes: