Do you putt off the green?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Any club, it all depends on the situation, how for away the pin is, how much fringe to run through, what way the fringe grass is lying, how well the ball is sitting, soft or hard conditions and more.

I suppose it’s how much practice you get with these shots. After a while you get a feel for each situation………and remember, after your initial line up, pick a spot where you want the ball to land rather than looking at the pin, it makes the shot much shorter.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
ok, I have a chipper and have had some success with it but i'm using it less and less as I get confidence in other options. It's still in the bag as I have space for it.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Must admit, nearly always the PW. Bought a chipper a while ago when I couldn't chip with the wedge at all, and that was even worse, so I just changed the way I look at and play the shot, worked a treat. Tend to use a putting type stroke, but with the hands just ahead of the club and no wrist action at all, ball in middle of stance.

Have a friend that swears by his chipper though. Each to their own. If it works for you, and you're confident, do what feels right.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Well, blow me! Happened last weekend.
12 inches off the green on the fringe and a 12 foot putt, would normally just chip it close to the pin with the wedge, but I tried the putter, and the little white bas£$% dropped straight into the hole, giving me par. Might try it again sometime.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Many years ago I read a little pocket guide to golf which suggested the following; ' Never pitch when you can chip, never chip when you can putt'

After years of accepting this inherited wisdom I must conclude that it requires some qualifiers to say the least, the first and foremost of which is (for me) if it's sitting on a nice little cushion of grass, use the chip. If it's on a piece of ground as bald as my head it's over to Mr. Putter.