Do you need a big boot?

D

Deleted member 16999

Mini Countryman, Trolley, Bag and all kit, all clubs bar the driver stays in the bag.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Exactly this, it is a cracking car. I have the Superb as I do a decent mileage and I wanted the extra comfort but if you don't the Octavia is the one to go for.
If you only need a small car but want a big boot, the Fabia estate does the job and is more economical than the Octavia.
Easily holds a trolley and cart bag plus incidentals if you just want to chuck them in, and is wide enough to leave the driver in the bag.
With a bit of juggling (wheels off trolleys, driver out of second bag) you can fit in two trolleys and cart bags.
For long trips it's fine - we drive to the Alps for skiing no problem, but I acknowledge that a bigger car will probably be more comfortable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you only need a small car but want a big boot, the Fabia estate does the job and is more economical than the Octavia.
Easily holds a trolley and cart bag plus incidentals if you just want to chuck them in, and is wide enough to leave the driver in the bag.
With a bit of juggling (wheels off trolleys, driver out of second bag) you can fit in two trolleys and cart bags.
For long trips it's fine - we drive to the Alps for skiing no problem, but I acknowledge that a bigger car will probably be more comfortable.
My FiL has a Fabia estate and it does a great job for him. I do like a bit of space and comfort so whilst I am still doing semi regular big trips, 400-500 mile round trips, I'll take the extra comfort and calmness. It is road noise that bothers me more than power, I don't like it. My FiL's Fabia is the base model which is a bit Spartan. I hope your's was a little plusher for journeys to the Alps :D

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My FiL's Fabia is the base model which is a bit Spartan. I hope your's was a little plusher for journeys to the Alps :D
It's an SE model with cruise control, so is fairly relaxing.
Yes, road noise could be less, but my history as a younger petrolhead was things like TVRs and MR2s, so it doesn't bother me too much.
(NB. the Fabia hatchback is hopeless for golf, just in case anyone is wondering).

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I take it you're talking about the 1.4 or 1.6L engines?
Mine is a 1.2 TSi, 90HP. It's more than powerful enough for any sort of normal driving.
I used to have fast cars (TVRs etc) but with traffic these days there's just no point.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i have a VW Tiguan allspace 7 seater and bought the 7 seater so i can have the 3rd row down. can fit all my gear in the boot with no hassle.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Next car is going to be the Skoda Octavia VRS Estate. Need the estate due to having a dog who wouldn't be happy in the enclosed boot. Going for the VRS Petrol model because I am still a boy racer at heart!

Sadly I'm an old boy racer at heart. After a great deal of searching, I finally located a Superb L&K estate with all the bells and whistles including 4WD and a 3.6 petrol V6 - very thirsty but hugely satisfying to drive.

Last edited:

Diamond

Visit site
I am new to golf and have a Nissan qashqai. With my trolley and Callaway stand bag it is ok. Will I need a bigger boot with a golf cart bag?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am new to golf and have a Nissan qashqai. With my trolley and Callaway stand bag it is ok. Will I need a bigger boot with a golf cart bag?
I have a Skoda superb, huge boot but I still need to remove my driver to fit my cart bag in. My sons stand bag fits without the driver needing to be removed. Cart bags definitely take up more space.

Bit drastic to change your car, just try it without the driver in the bag, lay it cross ways on top of your bag and trolley.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Fiat Punto, can't get my bag in in the boot unless I take the driver out. If I put the lads bag in then I have to fold the rear seat down, which doesn't split. Absolute pile of shite.
It's diesel as well, which sounds like it was salvaged from a post war tractor.

Also got a transit van at the moment which I brought over from the UK. 6 seats, and enough room for about 20 bags in the back.
If I go golfing, I'll be taking the tranny.

Diamond

Visit site
I have a Skoda superb, huge boot but I still need to remove my driver to fit my cart bag in. My sons stand bag fits without the driver needing to be removed. Cart bags definitely take up more space.

Bit drastic to change your car, just try it without the driver in the bag, lay it cross ways on top of your bag and trolley.

Good to know thanks. Driver out it is...my car wouldn’t start today hopefully just a new battery!

Wolf

Visit site
Looked at one Saturday. Very nice but couldn’t justify the £10k difference between that and the Seat Leon ST 2.0 FR. The price difference would more than sort out a remap to liberate a few more horses if they are actually needed.

Have you thought about a Seat Cupra estate if you fancy the vRS?
I'm a big fan on the new SEAT range especially what you get for price as VFM. I've got the ARONA FR Sport with the 150evo engine. Great to drive especially in sports mode, plenty of room for all my gear, fully loaded with toys and some funky extras on top of that to. Looking at next year maybe going uo to the Tarraco what you get on that for price compared to other manufacturers similar size is brilliant.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

I assume your Superb is not the estate - I just chuck my bag straight in, driver and all, and it stays there until the next time I play.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have no friends and no one likes my driving, my bag sits on the passenger seat of my mx5 and the trolley breaks down to fit in the boot ... I cannot get any corpses in, so won’t be intentionally killing anyone.