• Nope

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Yes - but if too strict don’t play

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Nice and simple

You have a society day or charity day at an away club that you haven’t played before

Do you research the dress to ensure you are dressed appropriately within their dress code

Or do you not bother and just wear what you think is right

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, will check. Especially on course attire, as some courses want long socks if wearing shorts. If that's the case I will just wear trousers.

Usually on big days the organiser will let everyone know. ie. Jacket at lunch, shirt and tie etc....but will always check it out to save embarrassment for me, and for the club

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most of the time I don't need to because I'll turn up and play in normal golf attire that will pass any dress code.
The only exceptions are long socks with shorts or a jacket and tie rule and the majority of clubs don't have them anymore
These days, to be honest, I'm unlikely to come across such rules as they will be enforced at expensive clubs where I probably won't want to pay their prices

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As on previous threads of this nature, I'm utterly against dress codes but I do follow them. As per Imurg, most of the time I don't check as I largely play at clubs that are not fixated with dress codes and standard golf gear is enough. Occasionally I will play somewhere that you know may be strict on certain items and then I will check. My experience of these types of clubs is that they absolutely do enforce their rules strictly, with the zeal of an over enthusiastic traffic warden, and so anyone gambling on winging it is going to come a cropper.

I suppose the above doesn't have a category for this poll. 'Check when necessary but not every time'

I 100% draw the line on long socks with shorts, don't actually own any. I've seen them in action, really ridiculous.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
For me

I’ll always check up the dress code - that saves any embarrassment

If there is something there I’m not a fan off I have two choices - follow it or don’t play there

I do think dress codes are relaxing on the whole especially on the course

There are still the odd course with the long sock during the summer and I’ll avoid those or wear trousers

Skytot

Visit site
Played our exchange day last Saturday, and 2 of our lads in the 4 ball behind us had their shirts Un-tucked , looked really scruffy in my opinion

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If a club/course has a dress code ‘oddity’ I’d expect the club to pass it to the event organizer for the organizers to then pass to the players
(doesn’t matter if the club doesn’t think its odd for their members, they should still proactively inform group booked players)

3 jabber

Visit site
As someone said I also wear 'standard' clothing that will adhere to any club rules. May occasionally wear shorts if hot so will check on socks rule. ALWAYS try to look smart in the clubhouse, would never wear jeans or shorts indoors without checking first. If the event means wearing jacket and tie etc then no problem with that. Why should it be a problem if I want to play somewhere nice.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
St. George's Hill last Wednesday held fast to their sock rule. Two guys had black socks worn with shorts, one of them were liner socks so almost invisible. Neither were allowed to play in them. One bought white ankle socks from the proshop and the liner guy changed to long socks and trousers that he was planning on wearing for lunch.
Thems the rules.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I am playing an away club I'll look at the dress code but more so the clubhouse side of things to see how relaxed they are, subject to any rules with the group I'm in (club match insisting on jacket and tie etc)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
St. George's Hill last Wednesday held fast to their sock rule. Two guys had black socks worn with shorts, one of them were liner socks so almost invisible. Neither were allowed to play in them. One bought white ankle socks from the proshop and the liner guy changed to long socks and trousers that he was planning on wearing for lunch.
Thems the rules.
Yeah but......Black socks with shorts...?
Really
Was it Fragger?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It would have to be a special day out for me to be bothered wearing jacket shirt and tie.
Out of interest, and zero judgement, what would you class a special enough day? I have no intention of debating/arguing anything with you, I'm honestly just intrigued what you'd be willing to get dressed up for.