Do I not like that....

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You missed my point completely regarding opinions. We're talking about mandated rules here that affect everyone, they should be based on something more solid than the whim of opinion. Just because you or the next man likes to see shirts in and hats off doesn't mean it should be an actual rule, since there would be at least a similar number of people who don't give a stuff. Just treat adults like grown-ups and let them dress themselves.

If you gave me a choice of two people, one of whom needs to be removed from the clubhouse - person one, a chap who's simply walked in a left the cap on that he was wearing, and person two, a chap who sees someone wearing a hat indoors and is so irate about it that it ruins his day. It would be the second person I'd remove, as he comes across as a psychopath to me.
There again it's always possible to ask person one to remove his hat.
I would be even more concerned about someone who refused when it was the convention and rule in that building.

Personally I don't see any great need for most dress rules other than maybe the wearing of potentially dirty and muddy shoes in areas you want to keep clean but I'm happy to adhere to the rules in clubs where I'm a guest

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You missed my point completely regarding opinions. We're talking about mandated rules here that affect everyone, they should be based on something more solid than the whim of opinion. Just because you or the next man likes to see shirts in and hats off doesn't mean it should be an actual rule, since there would be at least a similar number of people who don't give a stuff. Just treat adults like grown-ups and let them dress themselves.

If you gave me a choice of two people, one of whom needs to be removed from the clubhouse - simply walked in a left the cap on that he was wearing, and person two, a chap who sees someone wearing a hat indoors and is so irate about it that it ruins his day. It would be the second person I'd remove, as he comes across as a psychopath to me.

Once at south Herts I got told off for waking through the patio doors with a hat on , reaching for it to be taken off

Some member said take your hat off

This was the guy in question

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There again it's always possible to ask person one to remove his hat.
I would be even more concerned about someone who refused when it was the convention and rule in that building.

Personally I don't see any great need for most dress rules other than maybe the wearing of potentially dirty and muddy shoes in areas you want to keep clean but I'm happy to adhere to the rules in clubs where I'm a guest
It's nothing to do with refusing. I never mentioned that. That is nothing but whataboutery. Completely irrelevant. 99% of people who are wearing a hat when they enter the building aren't deliberately flouting the rules like some sort of maverick, it just simply didn't occur to them or they forgot. It's not something to get worked up about.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Once at south Herts I got told off for waking through the patio doors with a hat on , reaching for it to be taken off

Some member said take your hat off

This was the guy in question

But people who do that are morons.

Buckles01

Visit site
I once got challenged in a club car park by a member because the gilet I was wearing was non golf attire. It was a plain Castore gilet with the branding written in small letters on the shoulder. The interaction lasted seconds and I just laughed it off as I walked to the 1st. Half an hour later the course Marshall caught up with me on a buggy, he explained that the member had reported me and insisted that I should be removed. Needless to say we had a pleasant chat and a bit of a laugh. He couldn’t be more apologetic as he bid me farewell 🤷‍♂️🤣

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's nothing to do with refusing. I never mentioned that. That is nothing but whataboutery. Completely irrelevant. 99% of people who are wearing a hat when they enter the building aren't deliberately flouting the rules like some sort of maverick, it just simply didn't occur to them or they forgot. It's not something to get worked up about.
Oh I agree which is why a simple request to remove the hat is the polite and appropriate response.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If a club is open to the public, and welcome non golfing visitors, as most do nowadays - surely having strict clubhouse dress codes is counter productive.

If a family walks in and the dad is dressed in joggers, a hoodie and cap - and is asked to remove his cap by a member - would it result in a positive outcome for the club? Personally, I doubt it would.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If a club is open to the public, and welcome non golfing visitors, as most do nowadays - surely having strict clubhouse dress codes is counter productive.

If a family walks in and the dad is dressed in joggers, a hoodie and cap - and is asked to remove his cap by a member - would it result in a positive outcome for the club? Personally, I doubt it would.
Spot on that. Even most restaurants don't have a dress code these days, except perhaps the very expensive variety. Yet as you say, a golf club serving pub grub is turning away paying customers if they're wearing joggers? Silly.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Is it though? I'd argue the correct response is mind your own business and learn to accept that somebody wearing a hat indoors is not even in the top one million on a list of things worth worrying about.
You’re discussing Golf Clubs here though! You maybe correct that it is not in the top one million things worth worrying about, but if that one Club you visit does have this rule and members (for what ever reason) keep this rule, then surely you should accept it as removing your hat is also not in the one million list of things worth worrying about.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
People who are only allowed their view, completely disregard yours and instantly dismiss it as incorrect because yours doesn’t align with their own.

They are the worst people to spend 4 hours with on a course, unfortunately some of the worst offenders seem to have found this forum.

Taken from Google online version of the Oxford dictionary.

Forum
1.a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

At no point does is state
Forum
2. A meeting of medium where a select few are t055pots that refuse to consider others views apart from their own.

🫳
🎤

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’re discussing Golf Clubs here though! You maybe correct that it is not in the top one million things worth worrying about, but if that one Club you visit does have this rule and members (for what ever reason) keep this rule, then surely you should accept it as removing your hat is also not in the one million list of things worth worrying about.
Again, I never mentioned refusing to abide by the rule as it's irrelevant to the discussion. It's just a stupid rule. Golf is full of people who just love being told what to do for no logical reason though apparently. 😄

Bobthesock

Visit site
People who use golf umbrellas when it's a bit sunny (unless for medical reasons). We only get a few nice weeks every year and a bit of sun on your face will not cause you to die

Burnsey

Visit site
I'm ex army, so the jacket stays on until the captain/whoever removes theirs.

The issue with members clubs (I'm one), is visitors often don't know the rules and the course they played at last week was different, so I don't mind members pointing out when a hat should be removed, but not when they do it in an 'authoritive' manner - just point it out to the bloke.

I was on a course last week and someone told one lad teeing off to turn his cap around, as it was peak backwards (which he returned to peak forwards after every tee shot). I'd never wear a cap that way, but never seen that before.