Do I not like that....

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm still not getting why wearing a hat indoors matters to people. I don't do it but if someone wants to, so what? It seems so random that it gets chosen to bother people.

There doesn't need to be a reason why someone wants to wear one, that's their choice.
And....why is it ok for woman to wear hats indoors? I just don't care really....there are plenty of silly "rules" around golf and attire that only make sense if you have had beer......

D

Deleted member 35504

I'm still not getting why wearing a hat indoors matters to people. I don't do it but if someone wants to, so what? It seems so random that it gets chosen to bother people.

There doesn't need to be a reason why someone wants to wear one, that's their choice.
It's like a lot of things, it's handed down.

Why is a suit, shirt and tie considered professional in a business environment? No idea, but it is.

Why are polished shoes important? No idea, but they are.

Why should clothes look ironed? No idea but they should.

If you're a man, and I mean a proper man who knows what being a man means, you just don't wear a hat indoors. Maybe you do at home, but you just don't do it in a public environment, especially at a golf club that was hand-made from the earth by men who went through world wars over 100 years ago.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It's like a lot of things, it's handed down.

Why is a suit, shirt and tie considered professional in a business environment? No idea, but it is.

Why are polished shoes important? No idea, but they are.

Why should clothes look ironed? No idea but they should.

If you're a man, and I mean a proper man who knows what being a man means, you just don't wear a hat indoors. Maybe you do at home, but you just don't do it in a public environment, especially at a golf club that was hand-made from the earth by men who went through world wars over 100 years ago.
Wow looks like we’ve got a “proper man” here 💪😂

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm no tough guy 😅

It's just respecting our traditions and accepting that we have a history and culture.
Sorry but that’s rubbish.
If you want to respect tradition then dress like golfers traditionally dressed.
Modern golf tops are like football shirts & golf shoes are more like astroturf football boots.
People that like to think they’re respecting tradition are very selective.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I wear a hat every day. It’s too hot not to. There’s the odd occasion I forget to take it off when going into the clubhouse. No one has said a word about it, nor have I been tarred & feathered.

D-S

Visit site
I'm no tough guy 😅

It's just respecting our traditions and accepting that we have a history and culture.
So why not jacket and tie on the course? Why not jacket and tie at all times in the clubhouse? Surely these are traditions steeped in our history, golfing heritage and culture, probably even clearly demonstrated to you on the venerated pictures looking down at you from the clubhouse wall. Does history and tradition mean nothing to you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry but that’s rubbish.
If you want to respect tradition then dress like golfers traditionally dressed.
Modern golf tops are like football shirts & golf shoes are more like astroturf football boots.
People that like to think they’re respecting tradition are very selective.
Are you suggesting that post was for real 😳

D

Deleted member 35504

So why not jacket and tie on the course? Why not jacket and tie at all times in the clubhouse? Surely these are traditions steeped in our history, golfing heritage and culture, probably even clearly demonstrated to you on the venerated pictures looking down at you from the clubhouse wall. Does history and tradition mean nothing to you?
The tradition is dressing smartly.

Obviously clothing styles have developed, it's not rocket science.

Why is jacket and tie required for certain things like matches? Personally I hate that with a passion, but I go along because it is what it is.

If I care strongly enough and want it changed I'll give up my time and get on a committee.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Probably because no one flicks a switch and changes everything at once.

Dress codes in 20-30yrs maybe completely different to what we have now, just like they are completely different to what we had 20-30yrs in the past.

Why when somebody mentions taking hats off indoors does somebody always jump to tweed and collar and tie?

Like others on here, I just don’t get why anybody needs to wear a hat indoors, yes they might forget they are wearing one, but if that’s the Club rule, abide by it.

D-S

Visit site
Probably because no one flicks a switch and changes everything at once.

Dress codes in 20-30yrs maybe completely different to what we have now, just like they are completely different to what we had 20-30yrs in the past.

Why when somebody mentions taking hats off indoors does somebody always jump to tweed and collar and tie?

Like others on here, I just don’t get why anybody needs to wear a hat indoors, yes they might forget they are wearing one, but if that’s the Club rule, abide by it.
I wouldn’t dream of wearing a hat indoors but I am not arrogant enough to believe that my view would or should be shared by all generations using the golf club.
I certainly wouldn’t be so presumptuous to deny access to a facility simply because they don’t conform to the tastes of my generation.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I wouldn’t dream of wearing a hat indoors but I am not arrogant enough to believe that my view would or should be shared by all generations using the golf club.
I certainly wouldn’t be so presumptuous to deny access to a facility simply because they don’t conform to the tastes of my generation.
But it’s not you or me, it’s the members of the Clubs who may wish to preserve such a rule.

I’m sure as Clubs review their rules, these things will change, but until then I won’t sit in judgement of them.

Dress codes are not restricted to Golf Clubs and I’m positive some of them are quite happy to deny entry to those who don’t comply.

D-S

Visit site
Dress codes are not restricted to Golf Clubs and I’m positive some of them are quite happy to deny entry to those who don’t comply.
Actually off the top of my head I can’t think of anywhere I have visited recently, that isn’t a golf club, that has had a dress code. That includes restaurants, hotels and sports clubs.
Certainly I can’t remember any establishment worrying about the colour and length of my hosiery and certainly anywhere that insisted that I showed my waistband/belt when engaging in a sport.