Disqualification

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There may be evidence to show that the DQ reason was deliberate and not an error, is there any opinion on this? As in how would your club handle this?

That falls in to the area of serious misconduct.

It would have to be shown without doubt that is the case.

In our club it would mean being called before the Captains committee and if they agree it was they set the additional penalty which could be as extreme as being expelled from the club.

Steven Rules

Visit site
If it was deliberate cheating with clear evidence, then further disciplinary action such as a period of suspension or even expulsion would be justified. Naturally this should only happen after a thorough investigation and after the player has had a chance to respond to the allegations.

But it begs a number of questions. What is the clear evidence? And if the evidence is so clear, why wasn't the issue dealt with at the time the marker was entering the score for the hole on the scorecard?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
We had a 54 hole (three consecutive days) competition at our club. If a player was dq in round 1 or round 2, they were permitted to continue in the following rounds and eligible for prizes in those rounds ( closest to the pin etc) but not for any overall (54 hole) prizes. This was mainly meant to allow a player who had travelled and was staying with other players to continue play over the long (three day) holiday weekend.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A player has been disqualified after the first round of a two round competition

What else can that refer to other than a 36 hole competition?
Sorry I don’t understand what your asking.

Ours is a 36 hole comp over two days.
That’s what I stated.
But to include everyone there are 18 hole winners on the day.
But only one 36 hole winner.
These are usually Majors.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
A player has been disqualified after the first round of a two round competition

What else can that refer to other than a 36 hole competition?
All of my counties major scratch competitions are played over multiple rounds but with separate prizes awarded for each 18 holes as well as for the overall score. I see no rule of golf the tells us that a player who is disqualified from the first round cannot compete for prizes in subsequent rounds, can you?

salfordlad

Visit site
All of my counties major scratch competitions are played over multiple rounds but with separate prizes awarded for each 18 holes as well as for the overall score. I see no rule of golf the tells us that a player who is disqualified from the first round cannot compete for prizes in subsequent rounds, can you?
Logically, if you have entered three events, a day 1, a day 2 and a 36 holer, on day 1 you are only playing in the first and third listed event - you are not playing in the day 2 event. So a 'regular' DQ penalty incurred during the round on day 1 would not prevent participating on day 2. However, if a Committee considered a crime so egregious (ie not simply a day 1 play-related breach) that they considered they needed to retrospectively reject the day 2 entry that had previously been accepted, then I think that is a different issue.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Logically, if you have entered three events, a day 1, a day 2 and a 36 holer, on day 1 you are only playing in the first and third listed event - you are not playing in the day 2 event. So a 'regular' DQ penalty incurred during the round on day 1 would not prevent participating on day 2. However, if a Committee considered a crime so egregious (ie not simply a day 1 play-related breach) that they considered they needed to retrospectively reject the day 2 entry that had previously been accepted, then I think that is a different issue.
I agree

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There may be evidence to show that the DQ reason was deliberate and not an error, is there any opinion on this? As in how would your club handle this?
If there is such evidence there should be a more serious charge and possible penalty applied.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
If there is such evidence there should be a more serious charge and possible penalty applied.
Are you discussing a Rules dq (which is a simple Rules breach) or a code of conduct dq, which can have further consequences beyond dq?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you discussing a Rules dq (which is a simple Rules breach) or a code of conduct dq, which can have further consequences beyond dq?
This comment suggested a breach of club behaviour expectations. "There may be evidence to show that the DQ reason was deliberate and not an error"
The club may or may not have a formal Code of Conduct in place covering cheating.