Devastating (ish) ? new driver required

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My driver head broke at the weekend. While on the one hand, this is a little sad as although we’ve had our ups and downs, she’s been a trusty old girl, on the other hand I’m bloomin’ chuffed as I can go out and buy something new and shiny completely guilt free. The outgoing head is an R15, so I’ve had a good 6 years out of it.

There are a couple I want to try....

TM Stealth
TM Sim 2
The latest ping
The latest callaway

Are there any others I should try? Will try and find a fitting centre that stocks all of them, as I’m Kent based, west malling looks an option, and maybe west Kent.

Any others worth looking at? Don’t want the precision golf level of detail, but want a good range of shafts to try.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Silvermere might be worth a look too. I mean, I'd say got to Precision Golf, but hey! ?
Orikoru is spot on: any good fitter should know from a few hits which heads and shafts wil suit or not.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Silvermere might be worth a look too. I mean, I'd say got to Precision Golf, but hey! ?
Orikoru is spot on: any good fitter should know from a few hits which heads and shafts wil suit or not.

Silvermere is an option, I’ve been fitted there before and I was impressed.

I’m willing to be persuaded on precision, my thinking though was that as a 12 handicapper, my swing is ok but not THAT consistent and so I’m unlikely to see the benefit of the kind of things they do over a regular fitting.

But, if that’s wrong I’m happy to be persuaded!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the idea not to exclude Mizuno or Srixon. The new Mizzy looks good and Srixons have always been good under the radar sticks. Could add Titleist to the party too.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you tried out the stealth?

I sure have, I've got one on pre-order. I tested the Stealth Plus against my SIM2 with my shaft on QCQuad, same loft/shaft etc the Stealth averaged 2mph more ball speed, the dispersion was better with the Stealth & so were the standard deviation numbers. Basically it was more consistent than my SIM2, I wouldn't say it was any longer on good strikes though as I found it spun a hair more. I think I may just loft it down half a degree to get the spin down, this should also give me a little more ball speed.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Silvermere is an option, I’ve been fitted there before and I was impressed.

I’m willing to be persuaded on precision, my thinking though was that as a 12 handicapper, my swing is ok but not THAT consistent and so I’m unlikely to see the benefit of the kind of things they do over a regular fitting.

But, if that’s wrong I’m happy to be persuaded!
You'll be surprised how much of your swing is consistent enough...there will be bits that aren't but a lot of it will be there or thereabouts most of the time.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You'll be surprised how much of your swing is consistent enough...there will be bits that aren't but a lot of it will be there or thereabouts most of the time.

You are probably right, I have quite a worn patch on the face of the outgoing driver slightly high and towards the heel….. ooops…..

I’ve clearly been hitting out of that region more than is ideal!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
You are probably right, I have quite a worn patch on the face of the outgoing driver slightly high and towards the heel….. ooops…..

I’ve clearly been hitting out of that region more than is ideal!
Precision will fix that...! ?

sunshine

Visit site
My driver head broke at the weekend. While on the one hand, this is a little sad as although we’ve had our ups and downs, she’s been a trusty old girl, on the other hand I’m bloomin’ chuffed as I can go out and buy something new and shiny completely guilt free. The outgoing head is an R15, so I’ve had a good 6 years out of it.

There are a couple I want to try....

TM Stealth
TM Sim 2
The latest ping
The latest callaway

Are there any others I should try? Will try and find a fitting centre that stocks all of them, as I’m Kent based, west malling looks an option, and maybe west Kent.

Any others worth looking at? Don’t want the precision golf level of detail, but want a good range of shafts to try.

Random and non-leading question: why do you perceive your driver to be female?

Also, don't forget Titleist. Would be near the top of my short list. And if your budget stretches to newest gear like the Stealth then maybe consider PXG, Honma, etc.