TaylorMade Driver fitting West Hill

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many many thanks to the guys from Golf Monthly and TaylorMade for organising today and in particular, Jake from GM, Dan from TM and Matt the TM fitter , all recorded on the day by Mike the photographer :thup:

Spent the night before about 30 mins away in Hook so was up bright eyed and bushy tailed ready for the off and met the guys in the car park at 7.15 and fair play to Smigger79 ( Mick I think , apologies if wrong ) who left at 3.30 am :eek:

Bit rainy and cool but thankfully West Hill have a very good range and all under cover, even if a 5 min walk from the clubhouse.

I was up first and warmed up with trusty 7 iron and then my driver.
Matt got me to hit some balls with my Titleist 913 D2, regular shaft and 9.5 to get some ideas of my shot shape and my bad shot !!
Started off with the M2 but after 5-6 balls we realised this wasn't the one for me so changed to trying the M1 in a regular shaft and by now I was really warmed up and starting to swing round the 101 mph which for an old grunter like me guess isn't too bad ;) Matt was not happy with the numbers so we swapped to stiff shaft but a tad lighter than mt Titleist. Hit some more and some tinkering really tightened up my dispersion and pretty much eliminating my bad shot , which it a block right.
By now I was flagging from lack of breakfast so let Mick come in for his fitting and I was very happy to tuck into the bacon roll and tea which Jake had fetched from the clubhouse.

Chatted to the guys and did the picture thing for the mag then it was time for the Longest drive comp between the old and the new . Hit 3 with the old then one with the new when Matt stopped me and swapped my M1 for another one and BOOM hit probably the best drive of the day and certainly one of my best of the year and followed it up with two corkers :):) What did he tweak/change? Well all will be revealed in the mag in hopefully next but one issue ;)

All in all a great 3 hours spent and can't wait to get the new M1 to try out on the course, alas due to other commitments had to head home .

Once again many thanks for all those who put today together :clap:

Last edited:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well Ben we know you ended up with the M1

Hopefully the new driver will be good for you in the long run as I know from playing with you your driving is superb anyway.
Well done on being selected however don't think you will get past my Ping:D

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
So....are you guys that went down NOT allowed to reveal what you were fitted into...??
They didn't ask us not to but however feel it's right not to spill all the beans just yet ;)
I wondered who had got the opportunity and I am pleased it was you Ben. It is always good to try new kit. It will be interesting to read about the fitting and see the results at some stage.
Cheers Mark, hopefully we'll have a game later this year to see the new beast :)
Well Ben we know you ended up with the M1

Hopefully the new driver will be good for you in the long run as I know from playing with you your driving is superb anyway.
Well done on being selected however don't think you will get past my Ping:D

Now there's a challenge, I'll need to bring my ear defenders though ;) those Pings are loud . Hopefully we'll get a game in too this year.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Nice review Ben, look forward to our next playing together to see it in all it's glory :fore:

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds as though you had a cracking time, look forward to reading all about it in the mag.

Out of interest, have you been fitted before for a driver ? Would you recommend it is worth paying to be fitted properly ? Is it something you would do from now on.

Cheers and good luck with the new club.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not for a driver but have been twice for irons and a 3 wood last year. Yes would probably go for one next time , as will be older and be interested to see how much the swing has slowed down . Don't think I'd pay but would wait till there was a demo day near by for one ,

Smigger79

Club Champion
www.styrrupgolf.co.uk
As the other lucky one to attend, just want to say thanks to Jake, Mike, the TM guys and Ben for being good company.
Never been fit on a launch monitor before and not exactly at the height of my (limited) powers. Couple of hours sleep up at 3:15 and 4hr drive down. Did however see small improvements in distance and dispersion. Went from 9.5 regular to 10.5 stiff in a shorter and heavier shaft M2 D head.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played for first time with it today, had a warm up at range first thing then played at Ingestre in Tee Tours event. Very wet underfoot and a cold strong wind. First one was out of the heel and managed to just do 200 yards, second one bit nearer the middle and out 215, both into the wind. Par 3 next then stroke hole and downwind , managed 245 all carry ( used orange castle) as it pitched and stopped dead but smack in the middle of the fairway, another par 3 then back into the wind, went with the pink tee and used the set up I'd been practising at the range for a lower ball flight and knocked it out 235 yards :)
Rest of the round was pretty much the same distance wise in and down wind but what was noticeable compared to my Titleist was that I was middle of the fairway more often and on the one hole went for a high fade over some trees ( dog leg L/R ) and it soared over and once again middle of the fairway.

Last week I played with a guy who was out driving me with his M1 but today I was 10 to 15 yards past him :D:D

The ball flight might be a bit too high but will leave it on the fitting setting for now and see how we go .

So one very happy bunny and itching to try it out on home course, which alas might not be till Sunday.