custom fitting (does it make that much difference?)

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
I know this topic has been covered several times but im going to ask the question above. The reason for this is because ive had a ping g2,g5 and now g10 over the past few years and each one has had a different spec and ive never been custom fitted for any i bought the g2 off a friend and it was an 11degree with a regular flex i bought the g5 off my pro but just bought the only model i tried which was 10.5 stiff and ive just bought a g10 off a mate and its got a 9degree loft stiff shaft the thing is ive hit them all brilliantly with no real difference in performance although ive only had the g10 two days and played only 1 round with it so its still early days for the club.ian mc

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

My oppinion is that Custom Fitting is essential. Myself and MVP were talking about this very issue last night and we agree. MVP is very knowledgable on this matter despite what some may think so he is the man to talk to in detail.

When I bought my G5 I hit many shots on the launch monitor with many different clubs and it was the spec I have that served me best. Must be good for me as I was hitting the driver very well down the range last night on my preferred slight fade ball flight.

Same with my irons, they are 1* flat which does make a difference, if they were wrongly fitted I would have to tweak my swing to get the same strike. MVP demonstrated this point well last night.

As for you hitting all 3 clubs well there is a simple reason. The margins we are talking about aren't huge, if you have a decent enough technique you can hit anything ok-ish but for the best results and maximum consistency custom-fitted is the way to go in my eyes.

bunkered

Head Pro
Visit site
ianmc, it is proably more important getting fitted for a driver as there is hundreds of diff graphite shafts out there, but as far as irons go regular steel shafs with standard lie will fit 99% of golfers.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
iT IS WELL WORTH BEING FITTED FOR ALL YOUR CLUBS,IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

DARTHFADER,
You have sure come from the dark side on this subject. I think the stormtroopers may be a bit battle weary to attack again on this one,BUT KEEP THE LIGHT SABRE HANDY JUST IN CASE!! :p

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is it a good thing,absolutely no question.

If you can afford it or care enough about your game then do it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can afford it or care enough about your game then do it.

Unless you are planning on a complete nuts and bolts rebuild, in which case, you'd be better going AFTER you've changed your swing.

RG runs for cover..... :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst the custom fitting debate is floating around and is remaining fairly polite, has anyone had their faiway woods or hybrids fitted? Just interested as my irons and my driver were all custom fitted but my fairway wood and hybrid have not. Would like to see if anyone has had these clubs fitted and, is so, what difference it has made. With the cost of these clubs creeping towards the cost of drivers, I have never seen custom fitting being offered as part of the service.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pro offers fitting on all clubs .
I have not had my driver or fairway wood fitted by a pro, i worked it out by myself now im hitting 60% fairways(GOOD FOR ME).

Lie angles arent really changed much because the hitting surface is BIG although on some occassions this is changed.

Its all about the shafts and lofts, at the end of the day people who buy off the shelf drivers and only like a certain one better usually prefer the shaft, and if other drivers had the same shaft they'd like them too. Then it would be done to looks and sound. The loft is very important as this works closely in choosing which Shaft!
Important things with the Shaft are; Length, Shaft Weight, Flex, Kick Point, and Material!

I had an F speed Driver 9.0 Mid kick. But i hit it too high for my liking So i got an X speed 9.5! Despite the extra .5 degrees of loft which would increase the height of the ball flight. Its fitted with a High Kick shaft which promotes a lower ball flight.

Now i can control my drives more. If i want extra height i literally tee the ball up a touch higher!

I found this writing which explains some more on this matter

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:I3V...t=clnk&cd=1