Does .4 Degrees of Loft Really Make a Difference?

Hoganman1

Visit site
I have a 10.5* Ping G400 driver. I've been playing it for a couple of years and really like it. I recently changed the shaft from R flex to A flex and picked up a few yards. I've also experimented with changing the adjustable hosel to both the large + (which adds 1degree of loft) and the smaller + (which adds .6 of a degree of loft). Frankly, I cannot tell any difference. I know adding loft also closes the face slightly, but how much of a difference can .4 degrees of loft make?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you're hitting the middle every time there will be a difference...not much but it's there.
But you need to be an Iron Byron to do that.
In the real world, where your strike wanders all over the face and your other dynamics move about too....4/5ths of bugger all difference
In my opinion

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yeah the difference would be hard to notice you'd think.

Not a big fan but came across this the other day, in the realms of how differently we can swing / strike even within a small time period.

Can skip to about 7 mins

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'm old (72) and usually hit the fairway, but I'm not long anymore. My drives are 180 when it's cold and wet and maybe 210 on dry fairways. The A shaft has added a few yards and I'm thinking adding loft will help me keep in the air a little longer. I score from 100 yards out and for me straight is the new long. I'll probably go with the large + which adds one degree and will close the face so I can play a draw, Thanks for the info.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
This "closing the face" when adding loft only takes effect if you ground the driver & take your normal grip. If, like a lot of us, you grip the club with the head off the ground you'll naturally grip it with the face square. Also, if you're a slicer, a closed face won't give you a draw, it will be a pull because all you've done is to square the face to a swing path which is from outside to in.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll probably go with the large + which adds one degree and will close the face so I can play a draw, Thanks for the info.

I thought the way some adapters work such as Titleist and Callaway the club face angle is not affected. I thought Ping changed the adapter from 410 onwards to work in a similar fashion I have a Ping G425 3 wood but it is at the club so cannot check.

Mike79

Visit site
The Titleist Surefit chart below gives loft/lie/face angle for the settings (most of the charts leave out the face angle bit).

I have gone from A1 to D3 (+0.75 deg loft - 9.5 deg to 10.25 deg, face 0.5 deg closed, 1.5 deg upright), along with a higher launch shaft, and my drives have been transformed - far nicer trajectory, longer carry and straighter (masking a slice).

EE297FD4-E8FF-4820-AE94-B55FD4A96418.jpeg.5420abf12260d84910f6dc5d6fc9b117.jpeg

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Personally, I do not believe that the average golfer delivers the club with enough accuracy and repetition to notice a change of a degree or two in either loft or lie. However, if it works, then it works and who am I to argue :cool:

And my clubs aren't standard fit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought the way some adapters work such as Titleist and Callaway the club face angle is not affected. I thought Ping changed the adapter from 410 onwards to work in a similar fashion I have a Ping G425 3 wood but it is at the club so cannot check.

I have just remembered the Ping adapter is not the same type as Titleist or Callaway.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

You are correct. They have a two piece adapter. Some other makes (Mizuno, TM, Ping) have a one piece adapter which changes face angle with loft.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you want to hit it higher with lower loft then tee it up higher, make a bit of side bend and hit up on it. You'll get a higher ball flight with lower spin rate that gives the best chance of more distance for the same swing speed.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm old (72) and usually hit the fairway, but I'm not long anymore. My drives are 180 when it's cold and wet and maybe 210 on dry fairways. The A shaft has added a few yards and I'm thinking adding loft will help me keep in the air a little longer. I score from 100 yards out and for me straight is the new long. I'll probably go with the large + which adds one degree and will close the face so I can play a draw, Thanks for the info.

Adding loft will only keep the ball in the air longer (over a horizontal distance) if you have sufficient club head speed (and then ball speed) and will also be impacted by ball spin (increased by loft spin when adding loft and everything else is constant).

Closing a club face promotes a pull rather than a draw (everything else constant) but that's another matter.

By all means head to a good range (with all the data output from a trackman etc) and play with it but ultimately you will hit it best, and score best, with a club head set up to suit your eye and add confidence to your swing. For most higher handicaps, and lower swing speeds, the added confidence delivered by more visual loft is the biggest benefit - but you must be comfortable aligning that club head.