Custom fit v off the shelf

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
CAT1 players where the clubs made it so "they could barley hit the ball".... Really? Do tell? What did these clubs do to change what numbers to that point? Was it a spin loft thing or a face to path thing or what exactly?

nothing to do with numbers or clubs, i never mentioned numbers! very few am golfers have consistent swings, my swing can be well off on certain days. but anyway, you didn't answer my question how do you know most golfers hit the same numbers?

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
nothing to do with numbers or clubs, i never mentioned numbers! very few am golfers have consistent swings, my swing can be well off on certain days. but anyway, you didn't answer my question how do you know most golfers hit the same numbers?

How do you know they are not? You made the original sweeping statement. And when you say some days your swing is "well off" what value is "well off" a degree? 20 degrees?

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
How come? :confused:

I got fitted for the 850 forged with px 5.5s and the distances were too long. I play a short tight course.
My mi***** were still carrying the same distance and getting me into far too much bother.

Switched out to s300 714mb blades to lower the flight and lose a bit of distance on off centre hits.

Working well so far

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
How do you know they are not? You made the original sweeping statement. And when you say some days your swing is "well off" what value is "well off" a degree? 20 degrees?

I didn't mention Numbers i said most am golfers are inconsistent and don't have repeatable swings, so you disagree with that then?

time for some medicine again i think;)

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got fitted for the 850 forged with px 5.5s and the distances were too long. I play a short tight course.
My mi***** were still carrying the same distance and getting me into far too much bother.

Switched out to s300 714mb blades to lower the flight and lose a bit of distance on off centre hits.

Working well so far

Nice. I guess you have enough distance for that not to be the factor.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't mention Numbers i said most am golfers are inconsistent and don't have repeatable swings, so you disagree with that then?

time for some medicine again i think;)

I do. People who get measured (so I will be careful with the phrase "the average golfer"), tend to present very similar numbers day in day out regardless of skill/handicap. For the most part its like swinging an axe at a block of wood, your body wants to get out the way and hit the target with the tool (club/axe). Its really just human nature. So the statement "the average golfer is so inconstant that...." is rubbish. Because they are not presenting the club in a good way does not mean they are not consistent.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
From what I have seen during video lessons of myself, and also track man sessions, of myself, and after conversations with my coach, and also the fitters I have worked with, for me, whilst I think my swing varies massively, day to day, and shot to shot, it actually doesn't.
The changes that make it seem different are so miniscule that they cannot be seen on video, or on the numbers. To me, the differences appear massive, but are clearly not quantifiable. I would guess that a fitting on any given day would give similar results, whether I am striping it or not, as they are based on numbers, which for me, don't change much.
I would also add that changing my swing through lessons is pretty difficult.

This could be why I'm not very good at golf.

S

Snelly

I don't think anyone is claiming to be qualified, I think its a forum and a question was asked as a discussion. Should we only talk about what you want to talk about? Should we do it in the same aggressive with veiled or not so much veiled insults.

My understanding is your an excellent golfer and for sure a no nonsense person but why not let others have an opinion too without needing to be so dismissive. There are also epic golfers who have been fitted and who are technically minded, who do not need a 3 wood or whatever other rules you have put in place for yourself.

I think you are being oversensitive love.

I am not being insulting, just trying to frame the debate in a historical context to remind those that have not played for very long that there was once a very different way of playing golf - quickly and with clubs that were totally off the shelf.

S

Snelly

I kind of agree, but then back in the day, shafts were steel, and regular or stiff. Most had regular. There is now an enormous choice of shafts to chose from. Sure, eventually you could get any shaft to work, which is effectively what used to happen, but is that ideal? Choosing that shaft may not make you score better, but if it is more comfortable to swing, it makes playing golf more fun, and less of a slog.

This is a very good point and I agree that the proliferation of choice means that it is much easier to get something unsuitable to your game at present. However, I would also say that the shaft options are again, designed to increase revenues from manufacturers primarily. The confusing array of options means more opportunity to upsell.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you are being oversensitive love.

I am not being insulting, just trying to frame the debate in a historical context to remind those that have not played for very long that there was once a very different way of playing golf - quickly and with clubs that were totally off the shelf.

Na, its golf, its a forum, not sensitive about it at all (love). Just aware that this is a place to discuss and you are very set in your views and to you there is only 1 way or (fill in insult of the day).

As I say, I have been made aware of your high skill but it does not mean that everything is "that's that".

S

Snelly

Balderdash!

I went for a fitting at Ping in Gainsborough in the mid-80's and had other clubs adjusted and fitted by clubmakers.

Custom fit may have become more prevalent and cheaper in recent times but has existed since clubs were hand made in the 19th century. If you believe that previous generations of pro's and top amateurs all played "off the shelf" clubs then I am sorry, but you really should not be commenting.

Balderdash? Nice word.

Yes I do know that top players had tweaked clubs in the 80's and that if you searched around, you could sometimes find stiff shafts for clubs. However, I would have thought it relatively obvious, even to the hard of learning, that I was talking in general terms, about the vast majority of club golfers. No-one bar a tiny minority, paid any heed to any aspect of golf equipment that would be considered as standard options in the era of custom fit.

The club choice options of 1985 and today are like chalk and cheese. To say otherwise is not just balderdash, it is unquestionably hogwash, piffle, gibberish and quite possibly, twaddle.

S

Snelly

Na, its golf, its a forum, not sensitive about it at all (love). Just aware that this is a place to discuss and you are very set in your views and to you there is only 1 way or (fill in insult of the day).

As I say, I have been made aware of your high skill but it does not mean that everything is "that's that".

Actually I am open minded and am often having my mind changed by persuasive argument. In this instance though, it is doubtful that will happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

I started by getting a set of the web after trying in store - they got me down to 16 .I then bought a set of the shelf - TM R9 and I had the worst 6 months of my entire golf life. I then bit the built and went and got fitted with Taylormade and came away with a set of TPMC. I could quite clearly tell the difference between the shafts when they were changed and tested - they changed my game and still use them now. Its the same with drivers - got fitted for an R11 - superb , bought an R1 off the shelf - shocking , clearly the wrong shaft so went and got fitted for a SLDR and driving is prob now my strong point.

For me it's worth it to be custom fit even if it's just trying different shafts

With custom fit in some shape or form being available for free when getting new clubs with most pros it seems a no brainier.

We all swing the club different - no one swings a club "standard" so can't see why anyone wouldn't ensure what they have in their hands is the best fit for the way they swing the club

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User62651

I think if you want to explore custom fitting just do it, for some 'freaks' it will be beneficial, for 95% of us I suspect not. Think you need to be really really good for these tiny margins to do anything. Even the psychological effect may be helpful in that it stops you blaming your gear/changing your gear and thereby focus on more important facets like technique/practice/lessons so CF may help there and actually save you money of you are a tinkerer.

'Re-inventing the wheel' is a phrase made for golf it seems and punters are lining up to buy into what is effectively largely BS. Part of golf though, everyone wants new clubs and any excuse to buy them.