Custom fit v off the shelf

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, first thing to state is that I'm a bit of a serial club changer.

My last 4 sets of irons have been (from oldest)

Titleist AP2

CallawayX2 Hot

Mizuno JPX850 Forged

Taylormade RSI 1

The first and third set were meticulously custom fit and the other two I just took off the shelf. I hit the off the shelf clubs every bit as well, as solid and score at least as well as the fitted clubs, in fact the Callaways produced my best ever round including a hole in one. I've only had the TM's a couple of weeks but they really feel superb and ive shot 38, 31 and 35 points with them.

It could be that I'm pretty bog standard in fitting but does anyone feel that fittings v off the shelf makes a huge difference?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
at nearly 6ft 5, hand like shovels and a pretty fast swing speed fitting makes a big difference to me, I expect the closer you are to "average" then the less effect it will make

G

guest100718

It may make some difference, more from a confidence point of view. But the actaul difference is massively overstated, it's not hard to find articles from reputable media outlets making claims that custom fitting will knock 5 shots of your game over night!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm with you Chris.
Been fitted plenty of times and bought off the shelf/2nd hand as many times if not more.
I don't think it makes a huge difference to me as long as the shaft is about the right flex/weight and the shaft is about the right length.
That's not say it doesn't work for others.
Especially if, like Fundy, you're a Man-Mountain or , like our esteemed Editor, slightly vertically challenged😙.
I don't think I'm going to get "fully" custom fit again. I know, mostly, what kind of shaft I need and I'm comfortable enough in my knowledge to find something that works based upon experience. I just don't feel I get an discernible difference from the custom fit over my fit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the best person to answer this not you, the OP? You have carried out the perfect test, 4 sets of modern clubs, 2 custom fit, 2 off the shelf. Which work best, which felt the most comfortable?

D

Deleted member 16999

It's more about experience to me, when you are learning and extremely keen lessons and actually getting used to playing is more important and with so many changes taking place, off the shelf or 2nd hand has to be the way forward.
Once you get to a "certain" place then custom fitting imo can help, but that's more the fine tuning, alongside all that is experience, you'll probably have tried different clubs, either in a shop or a mates clubs over the years or fancied trying something new so you'll have some idea of what works for you and what doesn't and if you can pick up a bargain like the RSI's it's a win win.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Would the devil's advocate suggest that the two sets you bought off the rack are also very much more forgiving models?

Yes, they are for sure, but I could have gone to the fitting centres and had them custom fit. If so, would they go any better?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
custom fit for me all the way. not so much for shaft type but all my clubs are +1 inch and 3 degree upright. standard clubs feel like junior clubs to me

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, first thing to state is that I'm a bit of a serial club changer.

My last 4 sets of irons have been (from oldest)

Titleist AP2

CallawayX2 Hot

Mizuno JPX850 Forged

Taylormade RSI 1

The first and third set were meticulously custom fit and the other two I just took off the shelf. I hit the off the shelf clubs every bit as well, as solid and score at least as well as the fitted clubs, in fact the Callaways produced my best ever round including a hole in one. I've only had the TM's a couple of weeks but they really feel superb and ive shot 38, 31 and 35 points with them.

It could be that I'm pretty bog standard in fitting but does anyone feel that fittings v off the shelf makes a huge difference?

I am sure you are right and at my level probably makes no difference, but I enjoy the process of being custom fit as a find it a bit of a learning process, interesting you were fit for the Mizuno JPX850 Forged which was one of the clubs I tried during the fitting on Friday. I could not see to get along with them either with their stock shafts or with the KBS shaft I play in my current irons, they were short and the dispersion not so good as the others, so if I had bough these off the shelf I would have been disappointed.

Out of interest I went thinking I would like to have the Mizuno JPX900 Forged, did not do it for me, the JPX900 Hot Metal were better but were not easy on the my eye, Psi were good but what I ended up with were irons I had not even considered, 716 AP1, straight away they felt nice of the face, I could work them left and right, I like the look of and they are significantly longer than TM TP CB. I understand the lofts are different but the 7i is only 1° different, but I was a little concerned about wedges as the PW is strong, but I think I have that sorted in my mind.

So to answer I think custom fitting does not make too much difference to performance but it stopped me making an expensive mistake!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am 6'4 and had my clubs lengthened by 0.75"

did not get on with that, prefer playing standard spec, also makes you more flexible for playing any club

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I gather the experience is fun though, I think that's a big part of the appeal.

Like you, and others, I always enjoyed the fitting experience and it appears the greatest need for proper custom fit is for the guys who aren't average size

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
What was the result of your custom fit? How close to standard was it? If your specs are not too far off standard then just opt for off the shelf.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
What was the result of your custom fit? How close to standard was it? If your specs are not too far off standard then just opt for off the shelf.

My last custom fit was very specific on the shaft, grip etc but I just never hit them any better on the course than the set they replaced which were bog standard off the shelf. theres not much point going for a fitting and then not ordering in the spec advised as there's no extra cost generally

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can be about the little things. I used to get a deep crack in the side of my four finger from practice that would tear open the more I hit shots. I could take a new grip and put a warn out groove in it at the same spot in about two weeks. After fitting they made my clubs with 3 layers of tape on the bottom hand and it has taken me from that very extreme situation above to no marks on my hand or grips.

Loft gaps to fit the whole set together and that kind of thing. It does not need to be all shafts and distance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The only real drawback with custom fit i find is you get fitted for the swing you turn up with on the day, most amateur golfers are at best inconsistant

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I was a club designer I would want the majority of people to pick my club up off the shelf and hit it better than other manufactures. To do that I would have to design it to "fit" the majority of users without adjustment.