Current handicap...who's responsibility?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wouldn't self-regulate my handicap, if I hadn't had the notification of a change then I'd just continue using the playing handicap that is stated. It's not like everyone knows exactly how to calculate their handicap is it? Especially when you don't know what the results were and therefore what CSS was. I don't think anyone can have a go at you just for using the handicap as stated on Howdidido or whatever your club uses. There have definitely been times I was expecting a cut but didn't get one, so I'd be diddling myself out of a shot potentially.
The PROPER way to do that, where CSS is not available, is to reduce your playing handicap based on a CSS = SSS, but not make any upward adjustment. Once CSS is known, any permanent reduction would be official.
The above is because there is no penalty for playing off a lower handicap than known/believed, but there is for playing off a higher one - which is what you would potentially be doing. There would be no penalty if a (further) reduction was caused by CSS being higher than SSS, as that was not known at the time. You are obliged to determine what your handicap is before you play a subsequent match/qualifying round.
lol seriously? So a rule exists only to punish me for my club's laziness but doesn't benefit me in anyway. That's golf for you I guess.
The entire 'philosophy' of Golf and its Rules are based on players being fair on others, possibly to their own detriment.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The PROPER way to do that, where CSS is not available, is to reduce your playing handicap based on a CSS = SSS, but not make any upward adjustment. Once CSS is known, any permanent reduction would be official.
The above is because there is no penalty for playing off a lower handicap than known/believed, but there is for playing off a higher one - which is what you would potentially be doing. There would be no penalty if a (further) reduction was caused by CSS being higher than SSS, as that was not known at the time. You are obliged to determine what your handicap is before you play a subsequent match/qualifying round.
I guess that makes sense. Cheers for the deeper explanation.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think the OP has his answer. So are we expecting this to change with WHS? It's not much of a calc to manage currently, but don't think many would fancy the new one.

When the WHS comes there will no longer be a requirement to self adjust. Your handicap index is the same all day regardless of any scores in comps on that day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only if the match sec closes the comp I think. That will set the CSS.

The WHS will upload all scores submitted on the day and calculate a course conditions adjustment regardless of whether or not all the scores in a comp are in the system. There is no CSS under the WHS.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I will give you a good example of why you should do it

A couple of years ago the Club Captain and his playing partner were playing the semi final of a major club knockout comp in the afternoon.

His playing partner had played in a comp in the morning and had played to better then the CSS by several shots.

After the match had started, during a conversation about the morning comp one of the opposition realised he had not self adjusted. The opposition claimed the match for a wrong handicap being declared which was upheld by the committee.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Can I ask a couple of questions on this.

A player scores 35 points in a stableford on a course were par and SSS are the same. He plays the next day before knowing the CSS of the comp which turns out to be two over so 35 points would be a reduction. The players handicap is 14.5 so the reduction would change his handicap but he's not expecting any reduction. What happens here?

Secondly how does an SSS that is different to Par work when using Stableford scores to do the calculation?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
But I could be wrong? The other day we thought my mate was potentially getting cut from 12 to 10 but as it turned out he stayed on 12! Ultimately I just turn up to play golf and my handicap is whatever my club/Howdidido says it is.

Can you please try to explain how you thought your mate was potentially getting cut from 12 to 10 but stayed on 12? CSS can only go (not up) down by 1 so how can that be remotely possible?

Even if he was on 11.5, he would have to be about 6 under to go down to 10.4 - and he didn't get cut?

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can you please try to explain how you thought your mate was potentially getting cut from 12 to 10 but stayed on 12? CSS can only go up by 1 so how can that be remotely possible?

Even if he was on 11.5, he would have to be about 6 under to go down to 10.4 - and he didn't get cut?

No, CSS can go up by 3 (3 plus reductions only). It can go down by a maximum of 1.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you please try to explain how you thought your mate was potentially getting cut from 12 to 10 but stayed on 12? CSS can only go up by 1 so how can that be remotely possible?

Off the top of my head:
1. We worked it out as 0.3 per shot because I forgot it would be 0.2.
2. We forgot that as we were off yellows the SSS is one lower than the whites.
3. CSS ended up going down one as well.
So the upshot was despite shooting 41 points he only got cut from 12.2 to 11.6 I guess.