Realistic expectations

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Thanks to all those who have made impartial, insightful and helpful comments!

To the other fella…..it’s the ‘idle’ comment that got me, just laughable! I’ve still got lots to give and whilst I could travel and play golf that won’t keep my brain engaged where as another 3 year degree course certainly will. If not golf related it’ll be something else, just at a crossroads.

The big thing really is getting your playing ability to a good enough level. If it takes a year, it takes a year!

Out of interest, do you often play to a sub 6 handicap at multiple venues?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think Ethan was just telling you like it is, no malice was meant I'm sure.
Go for it if that's what you want to do playing wise if you have the time and some ability no reason you can't get low enough to get the required handicap, 6 isn't that low I the scheme of things. I'm off 2.5 didn't start playing till I was in my 40s and have a number of old injuries which hamper my swing.

I do know two pga pros quite well and tbh neither play that often, both are teaching pros, one hasn't played in months. I caddied in a pro am last year and the pro was from a very prestigious course that's in the top 10 courses in the world, he didn't break 80, might not have been 90 either, he hadn't touched a club in 6 months according to him.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks to all those who have made impartial, insightful and helpful comments!

To the other fella…..it’s the ‘idle’ comment that got me, just laughable! I’ve still got lots to give and whilst I could travel and play golf that won’t keep my brain engaged where as another 3 year degree course certainly will. If not golf related it’ll be something else, just at a crossroads.

One aspect that has been said is worth repeating

If you are doing this because you love playing the game that is something that will go by the wayside. Seeing one of our pros on the course is quite a rarity unless they are giving a playing lesson. Some do manage one game a week at best but it is taken well outside of normal 'members times'.

Tryhardgolfer

Visit site
Hi all

The wife thinks I’m having a mid-life crisis but I’m not. I’ve worked hard in my chosen profession for the last 25 years since leaving school, have invested wisely so now at the age of 41 I want to do something completely different.

I’ve played golf in a number of spells during my life to date but the longest stint has been the current one which is 3 years and counting. I feel like my game, specially in the last 12 months, has come on leaps and bounds (a few issues along the way but never terminal and I’ve self sorted without the need of a pro). I have never really integrated at my current club, using it more as a practice base during the week, playing socially/competitively with friends ‘away’ at weekends and networking during. I’ve never gone cards in to gain a handicap as I’ve not really needed one but regularly shoot low to mid-80’s on my current member course and regularly get labelled a bandit by friends when playing socially off an un-official 14. Where is this leading you might ask?
Well I’m moving courses from the 1st of April with the sole task of getting an official HI and playing as much competitive golf as possible. The goal I would like to achieve is a HI of 6 ASAP so I can enrol and do my PGA. I’m at the stage in life where I want to do things that make me happy and are enjoyable and the game of golf does exactly that!

I can play and practice at least 4 or 5 times a week so what’s the general consensus? Am I dreaming, am I too old or should I just give it my all and see what happens. Earning potential etc really isn’t a factor. I just need a complete change of direction!

Cheers in advance!
Go for it you bandit!! ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The goal of getting down to 6 from 14-ish is achievable much faster now under the new handicapping system, if you are prepared to put in the practice and submit scores frequently.
I think a realistic time-scale would be two years, however. During this time, get as much out of playing in the club comps and team matches as you can. Talk to others. You may find a few who had similar hopes and dreams along the way and be able to tell you the best routes as well as the pitfalls.
Your desires may change. Green keeping has already been mentioned. You have expressed an interest in teaching.
You could seek to take an active role in the club's committees or organisation. Promoting and encouraging junior members, for example. You could even look at this kind of thing at county level. Gain as much general off-course golfing knowledge and experience as you can while improving your game and your handicap.
As I look back on my golfing life, the years 40-45 were when I was at the top of my game. So go for it mate and enjoy.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I wouldn’t even worry about being a pro until you get an official HC and the get it down to the required level.

I’d be looking at volunteering or charity work to keep me occupied if I didn’t need to work

phillarrow

Visit site
The goal of getting down to 6 from 14-ish is achievable much faster now under the new handicapping system, if you are prepared to put in the practice and submit scores frequently.
I think a realistic time-scale would be two years, however. During this time, get as much out of playing in the club comps and team matches as you can. Talk to others. You may find a few who had similar hopes and dreams along the way and be able to tell you the best routes as well as the pitfalls.
Your desires may change. Green keeping has already been mentioned. You have expressed an interest in teaching.
You could seek to take an active role in the club's committees or organisation. Promoting and encouraging junior members, for example. You could even look at this kind of thing at county level. Gain as much general off-course golfing knowledge and experience as you can while improving your game and your handicap.
As I look back on my golfing life, the years 40-45 were when I was at the top of my game. So go for it mate and enjoy.

I've just turned 47 and spent the years 40 - 45 not being able to play due to a back injury! So, it looks like I've missed my peak. How sad for me, I wonder how good I could have been?! ;):LOL:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After I retired I worked in a Pro Shop along with a couple of assistant Pros. My advice would be to do something else, it's not that exciting.
How about something like starting a good club fitting business. I think there's a need for that and if coupled with a good indoor practice facility it could be interesting and a reasonable earner.