Current handicap...who's responsibility?

tobybarker

Visit site
With comps every two days and restrictions on how quickly cards are handled by the comp secretary, it's possible that one's handicap might not get updated in time for the next comp.

As a result might I be in danger of signing for a score on the wrong handicap, leaving me open to disqualification (my hcp is coming down regularly at the moment).

Is that my issue (our club pro thinks it is) or can I not say that well, I haven't been informed of a change yet so I'll use the current handicap?

The pro said I should know it's likely to have been changed so use a lower handicap "just in case"..... That can't be true, surely? After all I wouldn't know the CSS for the previous comp.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would self adjust my hcp if it hadnt been officially altered in time for the next comp I enter, and would expect anyone I was playing with to do likewise:)

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's your responsibility. If the CSS is not yet available you should cut yourself based on the SSS if necessary. However, you cannot apply handicap increases yourself in same the manner.
This?. it’s one of the reasons you have to confirm your handicap when entering scores electronically.

tobybarker

Visit site
Fair enough.... I'll do what you say should it happen

So, yesterday was stapleford off white tees. I scored 38 off HCP 16.... So I reduce by .6? Or, given that par is 70 and SSS off whites is 72, reduce by 1.2?

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
8.5 Prior to playing in any competition ascertain whether all appropriate reductions to Playing Handicap have been made or alternatively comply with the responsibilities set out in Clause 20.11

20.11 If a player returns a Qualifying Score or Scores below his Playing Handicap at his Home Club or away and is unable to: (a) report an away score(s) to his Home Club; or (b) ascertain whether or not his Playing Handicap has been reduced as a result of the score(s) C O N G U ® U N I F I E D H A N D I C A P P I N G S Y S T E M 49 he must, before playing in another competition at his Home Club or away, for that competition make such reduction to his Playing Handicap as shall be appropriate under the UHS by applying the Competition Scratch Score if known, otherwise the Standard Scratch Score, to calculate his Nett Differential and handicap reduction. Should a player not know his Exact Handicap, such reduction should be made from his Playing Handicap less 0.5, (e.g. If Playing Handicap is 16 then reduction should be from 15.5).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AS per Rosecott but a little more complicated if the reduction means you are changing categories as a result of the calculation, you only apply the decimal point reduction e,g 0.3 per shot as far as it takes you to the next category down and then you apply that categories reduction e.g 0.2 per shot.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Think the OP has his answer. So are we expecting this to change with WHS? It's not much of a calc to manage currently, but don't think many would fancy the new one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Think the OP has his answer. So are we expecting this to change with WHS? It's not much of a calc to manage currently, but don't think many would fancy the new one.
Doesn't the system update overnight so next morning it should be accurate.....or am I imagining it..:unsure:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don’t think under WHS there will be a CSS. There will a calculation that takes playing conditions into account using all scores submitted that day. Your handicap will be based on an average of your rounds. The competition need not be finalised for any handicap revision to take place.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes - common problem even in non-Covid times, with people playing Saturday comp then matchplay or team match on Sunday morning if handicap committee haven't processed everything.

Usually you can check the CSS on the screen (unverified but probably not going to change if all / most players have submitted their scores). I'd imagine that a surprising number of people wouldn't be all that sure how a score would affect their exact handicap. Especially people who hover around the 0.4 / 0.3 reduction.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Grant85.
Our scoring system shows an estimated CSS as the day progresses and scores are entered.
Sometimes the actual CSS is different when the comp is closed. I always assumed that was due to the people who do not enter their scores on the computer when they get it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't self-regulate my handicap, if I hadn't had the notification of a change then I'd just continue using the playing handicap that is stated. It's not like everyone knows exactly how to calculate their handicap is it? Especially when you don't know what the results were and therefore what CSS was. I don't think anyone can have a go at you just for using the handicap as stated on Howdidido or whatever your club uses. There have definitely been times I was expecting a cut but didn't get one, so I'd be diddling myself out of a shot potentially.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't self-regulate my handicap, if I hadn't had the notification of a change then I'd just continue using the playing handicap that is stated. It's not like everyone knows exactly how to calculate their handicap is it? Especially when you don't know what the results were and therefore what CSS was. I don't think anyone can have a go at you just for using the handicap as stated on Howdidido or whatever your club uses. There have definitely been times I was expecting a cut but didn't get one, so I'd be diddling myself out of a shot potentially.

As has been stated, it is your responsibility. If playing the same day or the next day before competition admin has been completed.

If you shoot under the SSS / CSS then you should find out / work out what your adjustment should be.

If your handicap is between 12.5 & 20.4, then you will come down 0.3 for every shot under CSS and buffer will be 3 shots above CSS.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting approach. Any other rules you'd ignore?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Grant85.
Our scoring system shows an estimated CSS as the day progresses and scores are entered.
Sometimes the actual CSS is different when the comp is closed. I always assumed that was due to the people who do not enter their scores on the computer when they get it.

Yes - been the same at my clubs.

However we didn't have the terminal being used this weekend. Markers marked and signed their partners cards and submitted paper copy only. Handicap committee did an incredible job of submitting everyone's score (1-18, not just gross number) into HDID - but obviously there was no indication of CSS when you were back in the club after.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As has been stated, it is your responsibility. If playing the same day or the next day before competition admin has been completed.

If you shoot under the SSS / CSS then you should find out / work out what your adjustment should be.

If your handicap is between 12.5 & 20.4, then you will come down 0.3 for every shot under CSS and buffer will be 3 shots above CSS.
I don't see how it can be. If I haven't had my handicap change that also means the results haven't been published so I don't know what the CSS was.