CSS Calculation and Cat.1 golfers

glynn

Visit site
Heard recently that an England Team Squad candidate was instructed NOT to compete in their Home Club competitions
"because it adversely affects their exact handicap" and also that
"competing in exclusively Cat.1 competitions produces a lower handicap more reflecting current playing ability"?

Is it the case then that the system is "less fair to the better golfer" and that the CSS calculation algorithms are weighted toward the higher handicap golfer in order to popularise the game at the expense of the generic "better golfer"
Does anyone else find at their club that it appears that the average Cat.1 golfer is disadvantaged in their own club competitions regarding the CSS calculation algorithm in a club "All Categories" competition?

I have asked England Golf about this, but have had no response to date.

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the CSS should be calculated on the divisions you are in I've seen division 1 in my club before have no one better handicap but suffer because div 3 have loads under hcp and bring CSS down by 2

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
My experience at my own club (in women's comps) is that the combination of small fields and complete inconsistency amongst the higher handicaps leads to CSS coming out fairly randomly.

I've seen it go to "reductions only" in excellent playing conditions and seen it stay at SSS on a truly horrendous day.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heard recently that an England Team Squad candidate was instructed NOT to compete in their Home Club competitions
"competing in exclusively Cat.1 competitions produces a lower handicap more reflecting current playing ability"?

Is it the case then that the system is "less fair to the better golfer" and that the CSS calculation algorithms are weighted toward the higher handicap golfer in order to popularise the game at the expense of the generic "better golfer"
Does anyone else find at their club that it appears that the average Cat.1 golfer is disadvantaged in their own club competitions regarding the CSS calculation algorithm in a club "All Categories" competition?

I have asked England Golf about this, but have had no response to date.

you appear to be asking 2 questions based on a supposition - rather than questioning whether anyone else has heard what you have heard (at least 2nd hand).

I have definitely heard a huge number of comments on the subject of selective event play at that level - and many of them are entirely contradictory!

In this case, and dealing with the obvious -
1. it cannot always adversely affect their handicap - without knowing the mix of players, the course and conditions it is impossible to state this. There are always combinations that will favour and combinations that may detract.
2. clearly statement 2 is complete rubbish; how can it be true to state that either (1) it will produce a lower handicap or the (2) a lower handicap will always reflect any players current ability.

What I do understand to be true is that at elite levels the handicap record is considered more robust as the proportion of county ranked events, national and international events are included. Players who haven't proved themselves in such competitions are frequently overlooked in selection. Increasingly WAGR rankings will take precedence over handicap.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the CSS should be calculated on the divisions you are in I've seen division 1 in my club before have no one better handicap but suffer because div 3 have loads under hcp and bring CSS down by 2

Not possible. CSS can only ever be one less than SSS.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Heard this sort of thing, but never seen any evidence - and the tables aren't available to 'test' it.

Does seem possible, as the 'all Cat 1' comps are a distortion of the expected scatter. Also seems possible that the provider of the info/advice is talking complete tosh!

If it were a major distortion, I'm sure the guys at Congu would do something about it - and it would be simple for the system to recognise and adjust.

I do know that low guys at some, occasionally tough, courses with SSS 2 or more lower than Par (the likes of Princes) really struggle and have to look for birdies much more often than normal - purely because of that difference!

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
We have the opposite in effect at my club.

A couple of years ago we made some course changes and the SSS became the same as par.
Since then the lower handicappers have come down and higher guys not so much.
The course is tough due to fast slopey greens and thick rough not far from fair way.
Medals are usually won ( Excluding divisions) by either a cat 1 or low cat 2 guy.
But the CSS often goes up rewarding the consistent ( in theory lower handicap) player.

However, the spanner in the works comes when the wind is up, then it's the guys with shots that do well and it appears that the CSS never goes up enough for the conditions, it's an exposed course and it's often a 2/3/4 club wind.

So I guess overall it works itself out. However, if it was only cat 1 players playing then the CSS would come down most weeks and only go up when the weather is not good, so I can see the logic in playing in scratch only comps as a plus handicapper as the CSS would reflect the difficulty more accurately on the day