Handicap calculation confusion- is it epidemic within clubs?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree that most people don't know. I actually use it to my advantage.

All of our comps are medals, so if i start badly (for example a treble on the first), i just say to myself 'thats a double'. It helps that i couldnt care less how i get on in the actual comp. my competition is against myself and my handicap, nothing else.

my mate had an 11 on our 3rd on saturday, but once he'd hit his 7th shot i just said 'dont worry' its a 7 for handicap.

totally, i had an 8 on the 3rd ( par 4) on sat so almost my whole handicap gone on one hole, still made buffer no problem

DCB

Visit site
It's a simple game really. You hit it, walk after it and hit it again until it goes in the hole. Then you write down the number of hits you had. The rest is up to the computer software to work out.

Unless you want to use the table in Appendix B to manually check the computer got it right ;)

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just for clarification.

If you played a Bogey comp and you finished level. Could you still get cut if you had nett Eagles on some holes? Or would you count as just level to your handicap?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just for clarification.

If you played a Bogey comp and you finished level. Could you still get cut if you had nett Eagles on some holes? Or would you count as just level to your handicap?

For bogey competitions theres a conversion table in the handicap manual somewhere, don't think net eagles matter

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just for clarification.

Handicaps aren't calculated on bogey comps in the way the comp is calculated, handicaps are calculated on strokes taken. If you have net eagle it counts as net eagle for handicap purposes.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again this makes my point- I wasn't aware you couldn't adjust up- apparently neither did our club pro or opponents who were off 5 and 8(adjusted to 9). Luckily both times I done mine this season were down the way or I would have unknowingly cheated.

Standardised literature for club members would stop things like this. There's not enough information out there to make things clear for golfers.

Why do you think club members will read this if the Club pro clearly doesn't (and it's his job...)

I will bet that there have been constant references to this in the handicap secretaries report to the AGM, the occasional club newsletter etc but people (generally) don't try and keep up with an ever changing and dynamic system that has over 100 pages in this manual and changes regularily. Sadly there are even handicap secs, and definitely competition secs, who don't either (and I don't mean the ones who know they don't but will always look it up).

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of people I play with, even well established players don't really understand how handicaps are calculated and I think there is scope for a simple one page (or less) guide which explains the basics in one or two simple sentences:

Handicap is based on CSS or SSS not Par
What is CSS
What the buffer zone is
Net double bogey/stableford adjustment
Cuts for each category
Away scores

Would that be enough for starters? Is there already anything like this around?

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok, can you explain what happens Jim. I was of the belief handicaps are calculated on strokes against CSS regardless of comp format.

I believe in Bogey comp it's calculated against how many holes up you are in relation to CSS

So for example last year in a bogey comps I was 1 under par but only 3 up against the course and the CSS was one under par so I only got a .2 cut which was my score against CSS

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, can you explain what happens Jim. I was of the belief handicaps are calculated on strokes against CSS regardless of comp format.

A nett eagle and a nett birdie both count as a + on the scorecard, nothing more nothing less. Your bogey score for the round comes from adding the +s and the -s to give you your score expressed as +x, -x, or 0 (all square).

Those are then converted to nett differentials using the table in the CONGU manual (the same is done with stableford scores) and this depends on the relationship between the course par and CSS. e.g. for a course with par=CSS, a bogey score of 0 (all square) is a nett differential of 0, which is playing exactly to handicap. +1 is playing 1 better than handicap, -1 is playing 1 worse than handicap (but still in buffer) and so on. That all changes if par and CSS are different but the same principle applies.

Although that might sound complicated in the explanation, it's really quite straightforward in practise.

If you score better than a nett par, it doesn't count for anything more than a win on the hole.

Alternatively, the answer without all that gobbledegook comes from the CONGU manual:

Q. A Category One player competing in a Par/Bogey Competition finished one up on a course where the SSS, CSS and Par were the same. His nett score, had Stroke Play conditions prevailed, would have been three strokes below the CSS. By how much should his handicap be reduced?
A. The Table in Appendix D is used to convert Par/Bogey and stableford scores to NettDifferentials. The Stroke Play score is not relevant. In the above situation 1up converted to a Nett Differential of -1 resulting in an exact Handicap reduction of 0.1 of a stroke.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Never played Bogey so please excuse any misunderstanding..
Assume CSS = Par
If you nett par 17 holes but Eagle(say nett Albatross) 1 hole, in Bogey you get a score of +1 so your cut is 1 X category (.1,.2 etc) Is that right?
If that was a Medal, your nett diff would be -3 so you'd get a 3 X category cut......

Confused....
You've played 3 below handicap but only getting credit for 1 under...

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never played Bogey so please excuse any misunderstanding..
Assume CSS = Par
If you nett par 17 holes but Eagle(say nett Albatross) 1 hole, in Bogey you get a score of +1 so your cut is 1 X category (.1,.2 etc) Is that right?
If that was a Medal, your nett diff would be -3 so you'd get a 3 X category cut......

Confused....
You've played 3 below handicap but only getting credit for 1 under...

Similarly, if you, as a Cat 2, shot 17 nett pars in medal and had a 10 on the other hole, your medal score would have put you outside buffer, but stableford adjustment puts you in buffer.

Imurg

Visit site
Similarly, if you, as a Cat 2, shot 17 nett pars in medal and had a 10 on the other hole, your medal score would have put you outside buffer, but stableford adjustment puts you in buffer.

OK, I can see that but if you've played better than handicap and not getting cut for it then your handicap is going to be higher than it should be.
Stableford adjustment down keeps handicaps from being too high, Stableford adjustment up keeps them high....
I'd be racked off if I shot 3 under CSS and only got a .2 cut for it....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, I can see that but if you've played better than handicap and not getting cut for it then your handicap is going to be higher than it should be.
Stableford adjustment down keeps handicaps from being too high, Stableford adjustment up keeps them high....
I'd be racked off if I shot 3 under CSS and only got a .2 cut for it....

You would be racked off then because that's how it works.

Better example of the balance in that format is that you can shoot 9 net double bogeys (or worse) and 9 net birdies and you will buffer (assumes par =CSS of course) despite being 9 over your handicap! That's just how it is. As the game is beating the course scores better than birdie or worse than par are irrelevant in the same way as playing matchplay against an opponent who makes par on every hole.

Imurg

Visit site
You would be racked off then because that's how it works.

Better example of the balance in that format is that you can shoot 9 net double bogeys (or worse) and 9 net birdies and you will buffer (assumes par =CSS of course) despite being 9 over your handicap! That's just how it is. As the game is beating the course scores better than birdie or worse than par are irrelevant in the same way as playing matchplay against an opponent who makes par on every hole.

Then there is an argument that this format shouldn't be used for handicapping isn't there...?
Everyone would be up in arms if you deliberately 3 putted the last in a Medal to get to CSS -1 and a 0.2 cut but everyone's happy when the system kind of does that for you.....play bad, go up, play well, come down but maybe not as much as you should....
As I say, never played Bogey. Probably never will.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Every day is a school day as they say.

I knew about the bogey comp scoring but was of the belief all strokes count towards handicap in the way a stroke play or stableford medal would.

It does seem off that you can play better than HC and not get a cut

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Every day is a school day as they say.

I knew about the bogey comp scoring but was of the belief all strokes count towards handicap in the way a stroke play or stableford medal would.

It does seem off that you can play better than HC and not get a cut

Reasons i never play in our Bogey comps