WHS and Supplementary Scores in 2020

Swango1980

Visit site
Given that the owners of WHS also own the RoG and anticipate the use of electronic devices for score recording, I expect to see a corresponding change to the RoG sooner rather than later.
However, the CONGU Regulations currently require that Supplementary Score rounds must be played under The Rules of Golf. Regardless of what may or may not be happening elsewhere.
Thanks

Slightly extending that thought about how they get away with it in USA, I also understand that they make up a score for a hole if they don't complete a hole. Does that comply with the Rules of Golf? Rule 3.3c says that, if they fail to hole out and not correct this, then they are disqualified. So, I guess that means again, they are disqualified from noting (as not playing in competition), so presumably there is something in their handicapping rules to say that a score can be made up in this case (i.e. for handicapping?)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks

Slightly extending that thought about how they get away with it in USA, I also understand that they make up a score for a hole if they don't complete a hole. Does that comply with the Rules of Golf? Rule 3.3c says that, if they fail to hole out and not correct this, then they are disqualified. So, I guess that means again, they are disqualified from noting (as not playing in competition), so presumably there is something in their handicapping rules to say that a score can be made up in this case (i.e. for handicapping?)
They don't actually 'make up a score'.
They had two procedures.

A Most Likely Score is used to record a player’s probable score on a hole, when
the hole has been started but the player did not hole out their ball. It should be a
reasonable assessment of the number of strokes needed to complete the hole.

Maximum Score For Hole - I forget the actual definition but in principle if the player has reached a certain score, subject to his handicap, his recorded score would be limited to that value. The maximum was higher as the handicap went up.

Under WHS both are limited to Net Double Bogey.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At our briefing having asked the question we were told that England Golf will definitely not be adopting 'most likely score'.

However, the CONGU Regulations currently require that Supplementary Score rounds must be played under The Rules of Golf. Regardless of what may or may not be happening elsewhere.

and therein lies the conundrum of accepting social scores for handicap purposes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At our briefing having asked the question we were told that England Golf will definitely not be adopting 'most likely score'.
That is correct. I was explaining what the USGA previously did and what they do now in response to Swingo's post

and therein lies the conundrum of accepting social scores for handicap purposes.
As I say, that may well change. But remember, current CONGU rules require that some scores must be recorded for handicap purposes even if there were breaches of the RoG.
The RoG would apply to any competition results. That is in effect what the WHS says also.