Handicaps / Supplementary Scores / Qualifiers

Swango1980

Visit site
Evening

I just wanted to check if I have the right end of the stick. I'm assuming that, at the moment, members cannot hand in supplementary cards or play qualifying competitions?

Reason I ask, is that the LUGC indicated this will be the case for a while, although also provided updated rules that could be used for a golf ball in a bunker and suggested this could be used for qualifying scores. I've not been able to find anything definitive on the R&A or England Golf websites.

I've already had a member ask how they can submit a supplementary scorecard, and I am also aware that we've had 20 new members join in the last 2 days, and wonder if some will be wanting to submit 3 cards for handicap. So, my current stance would be that it is social golf only, and I will await further guidance from the powers to be. However, I've read so much from many different sources, just coming on here in case I'm missing anything.

Cheers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did a card for the lad I played with today.
I signed it, took a pic and emailed it to the GM saying it was legit etc.
Don't know if they're taking them, hopefully they are.

and contained in that one of the reasons that some of the new rules/guidelines have come out - you should not be handling another players card.

Our club has stopped the submitting of cards particularly at the moment of 3 counts
1. It means a player going in to the proshop just to get a card .
2 Supplementaries means handling the book in the proshop to sign in.
3. Somebody in the office will have to handle the card to put it on to the system.

5OTT

Visit site
I cant see an issue if only one player handles the card and a photo of the completed card is emailed through to he club.

It was put to us that if we wanted a card to record any scores during this period to go to the pro shop where the cards are in a box stacked vertically, advised to use a gloved hand to slide 5 or 6 cards out to use over the coming weeks.

Swango1980

Visit site
and contained in that one of the reasons that some of the new rules/guidelines have come out - you should not be handling another players card.

Our club has stopped the submitting of cards particularly at the moment of 3 counts
1. It means a player going in to the proshop just to get a card .
2 Supplementaries means handling the book in the proshop to sign in.
3. Somebody in the office will have to handle the card to put it on to the system.

Can those issues not be resolved easily. For example, at our club:

1. Players go into office anyway. Staff sign us in. Pick a card whilst there.
2. Supplementaries can be put in box, however, just about to request members take photo of card and send to whatsapp group. Handicap secretary can enter scores in system from home.
3. See 2. However, when comes to sorting physical cards out, this should be possible fairly safely (wash hands / gloves / etc).

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
My hope here is that golf finally goes into the 21st century with regards to scoring. At amateur level, the idea of signing bits of paper to make your score count and otherwise you are just disqualified, is really quite silly. If we can move on to digital scoring apps, there will at least be one tiny positive out of this horrible situation.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My hope here is that golf finally goes into the 21st century with regards to scoring. At amateur level, the idea of signing bits of paper to make your score count and otherwise you are just disqualified, is really quite silly. If we can move on to digital scoring apps, there will at least be one tiny positive out of this horrible situation.
This facility is already available and used around the world.

And since 2019 "The scorecard may be in any paper or electronic form approved by the Committee that allows: .."

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can those issues not be resolved easily. For example, at our club:

1. Players go into office anyway. Staff sign us in. Pick a card whilst there.
2. Supplementaries can be put in box, however, just about to request members take photo of card and send to whatsapp group. Handicap secretary can enter scores in system from home.
3. See 2. However, when comes to sorting physical cards out, this should be possible fairly safely (wash hands / gloves / etc).

It is possible but our manager is super health and safety conscious (It is his job and responsibility after all and not the committees) The secretary who does all this sort of work is on furlough as well.

All of our booking etc is done online without any need to go in to the office.

I did try and bring up the point about using the IG app at our latest committee meeting but the general view was that we should go with what the manager says.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Which is why I am only doing this for new members who require a handicap. Decisions on Q and supplementary cards will be made beginning of June.
Would it be worth allowing supps for players needing to provide more relevant handicap data prior to transition (eg non 'c' status)?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would it be worth allowing supps for players needing to provide more relevant handicap data prior to transition (eg non 'c' status)?

Couldn't agree more and it will be encourage when the committee come up with an approved method for submitting scores, and it being a committee decision is the reason I'm looking at early June. We are also looking at our normal Q and trophy comps which are Q's so I think we could get in a good number for handicap purposes.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
But it is recommended (by England Golf) that non-competition play is used during the initial period ...

Recommended - yes - but it goes on to tell you how to deal with scorecards. We have taken the decision to have social golf for 2 weeks, after which we intend to resume competitions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have just taken the decision to cancel all Opens, and club knockout club competitions this year. All regular comps have been cancelled for the whole of June and a decision on how to proceed will be taken nearer to the end of June. All county league and interclub comps and friendlies were cancelled during the period of lock down .