Calculating handicap index increases/decreases

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK. My final attempt then I'm out ...

The base data involved in calculating handicap index is (adjusted) gross score, course rating, and slope rating. Of these, only gross score is a measured (or recorded) number. And its a whole number. The other two are just subjective assessments - made (usually) by experts but subjective assessments nonetheless. And notwithstanding they are assessments, one is estimated to an accuracy of just 1 decimal place and one is estimated to a whole number.

This means that any number derivated from the base data (eg score differential) can only be accurate to one decimal place. Any subsequent derivations (eg handicap index) can also only be accurate to one decimal place. Any mathematical calculation that gives a mantissa of more than 1decimal place is meaningless beyond the 1st decimal place. Hence the rounding to 1 decimal place in the calculation of SD.. So, if you want Score Differentials to 2 decimal places, then you'll need some of the base data to be recorded to 2 decimal places. Don't know about anyone else, but I can't see either CR or SR being estimated to a 2 decimal place accuracy? And given it's an estimate, even to try would be a nonsense.

And in any case - can anyone judge their own golfing ability to a level of 1 decimal place - let alone to 2? And of course, given that course handicap is in whole numbers, then of course there will be thresholds between some particular decimal places and the next. If you happen to be close by one, then it something one has to live with.

And on that note ....

Alan Clifford

Visit site

The base data involved in calculating handicap index is (adjusted) gross score, course rating, and slope rating. Of these, only gross score is a measured (or recorded) number. And its a whole number. The other two are just subjective assessments - made (usually) by experts but subjective assessments nonetheless. And notwithstanding they are assessments, one is estimated to an accuracy of just 1 decimal place and one is estimated to a whole number.

This means that any number derivated from the base data (eg score differential) can only be accurate to one decimal place. Any subsequent derivations (eg handicap index) can also only be accurate to one decimal place. Any mathematical calculation that gives a mantissa of more than 1decimal place is meaningless beyond the 1st decimal place. Hence the rounding to 1 decimal place in the calculation of SD.. So, if you want Score Differentials to 2 decimal places, then you'll need some of the base data to be recorded to 2 decimal places. Don't know about anyone else, but I can't see either CR or SR being estimated to a 2 decimal place accuracy? And given it's an estimate, even to try would be a nonsense.

And in any case - can anyone judge their own golfing ability to a level of 1 decimal place - let alone to 2? And of course, given that course handicap is in whole numbers, then of course there will be thresholds between some particular decimal places and the next. If you happen to be close by one, then it something one has to live with.

And on that note ....
Error of logic there. As a simple example, 2.1 / 1. 1 does not result in a number with 1 deimal place.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

And on that note ....
Wow!

All the arithmetic is so vague and full-of-holes that I think any idea to attempt to improve its accuracy would be a good one - note that I say "idea" and "attempt".
If it proved to be successful in improving its accuracy, then I think it would be worthwhile so to do.
Surely it does no harm to try to improve something.

Apparently CR-Par will improve things.
I remain unconvinced, but perhaps it will.