Crowned holes!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But you are not playing with or against Tour Pro's so what is your point?

What you refer to is most likely being caused by poor maintenance of greens that are possibly too soft.
Don't think you can do much about soft wet greens in Winter time. Our greens at Batchworth Park are better looked after than most!

My handicap is mostly based on what I actually score in qualifiers, so the state of the greens does come into this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Let me guess - this is a thread from Delc suggesting holes can be bigger ?

Suppose it's been a couple of months !!

Let's flog that horse

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Del - can you expand on your theory in more detail, I think you've got something there and I'd love to know all about the idea!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's not the same for everyone. Tour pros putt on perfect greens with perfectly cut holes. Club and muni golfers often don't!

They also play off of beautifully manicured fairways, a first cut where the ball sits up like a dogs bollock and play out of bunkers that don't have turds in them, drainage netting showing, pine cones littered about, and bloody great puddles in the middle of them with the consistency of wet sugar. Plus they have hundreds, nay thousands of people watching where their balls go so they never (hardly) lose one.
Your point is?????

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Del - can you expand on your theory in more detail, I think you've got something there and I'd love to know all about the idea!

Somebody find Chris and fill his house with popcorn, then find Del and put the 2 of them together, they deserve each other and it could be the start of a beautiful relationship :) :) :)

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They also play off of beautifully manicured fairways, a first cut where the ball sits up like a dogs bollock and play out of bunkers that don't have turds in them, drainage netting showing, pine cones littered about, and bloody great puddles in the middle of them with the consistency of wet sugar. Plus they have hundreds, nay thousands of people watching where their balls go so they never (hardly) lose one.
Your point is?????

makes you think we all do rather well after reading that!:fore:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
So your ball is 'deflected' away inches from the hole, and you think holding the flag is a cause? How close do your guys have to be to take a flag out? .... must have very short arms!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So you got a game in, in winter, on full greens. That's a lot more than many on here have enjoyed recently so be grateful. Your course isn't and never will be comparable to one set up for tournament conditions so move on. They won't be perfect at this time of year or would you prefer the bucket holes they have at some place on temp greens

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
The doughnut effect is caused by the amount of footfall around the hole on green that are not rock hard.

If you imagine the hole on a green that is not totally dry or firm enough to resist any compaction by people standing on it. Now each person may take 2 steps around the hole minimum. Times that by the number of player on the hole by the days the hole is not moved. You usually end up with hundred upon hundreds of steps around a hole. This causes the ground around it to become a slight bit bumpier and sometimes crowned starting to lower around 4 inches from the hole. So there is the reason for the doughnut.

Now on a firm green if the greens staff do not stand firmly on the cutting plate when removing a plug from the green in which to locate the hole. At the same time they need to rotate the corer when removing the plug this can cause a very slight lip just on the edge of the hole. But this is only right on the edge of the hole not what Del is referring too.

Now if any normal person takes a putt and doesn't hit it with the correct pace, taking into account the varying slopes bumps and deviations in the green and it misses. Then it is the fault of the golfer not the greens staff or the other golfers.

In summary DELC it is your fault your putts miss, if you know this is going to happen you really haven't got a complaint. Well maybe moan to the little voices in your head that tell you to repeat the same subject matter over and over again. Spend some time practising your putting, and if they miss just like several other thousand golfer on that day, accept its your fault.

Now:
A spike mark isn't your fault but we dont need to hear about it
A pitch mark is your fault, check your line
A piece of gravel or loose impediment is your fault, check your line.

Del are you getting this. Its all your fault.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The doughnut effect is caused by the amount of footfall around the hole on green that are not rock hard.

If you imagine the hole on a green that is not totally dry or firm enough to resist any compaction by people standing on it. Now each person may take 2 steps around the hole minimum. Times that by the number of player on the hole by the days the hole is not moved. You usually end up with hundred upon hundreds of steps around a hole. This causes the ground around it to become a slight bit bumpier and sometimes crowned starting to lower around 4 inches from the hole. So there is the reason for the doughnut.

Now on a firm green if the greens staff do not stand firmly on the cutting plate when removing a plug from the green in which to locate the hole. At the same time they need to rotate the corer when removing the plug this can cause a very slight lip just on the edge of the hole. But this is only right on the edge of the hole not what Del is referring too.

Now if any normal person takes a putt and doesn't hit it with the correct pace, taking into account the varying slopes bumps and deviations in the green and it misses. Then it is the fault of the golfer not the greens staff or the other golfers.

In summary DELC it is your fault your putts miss, if you know this is going to happen you really haven't got a complaint. Well maybe moan to the little voices in your head that tell you to repeat the same subject matter over and over again. Spend some time practising your putting, and if they miss just like several other thousand golfer on that day, accept its your fault.

Now:
A spike mark isn't your fault but we dont need to hear about it
A pitch mark is your fault, check your line
A piece of gravel or loose impediment is your fault, check your line.

Del are you getting this. Its all your fault.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My handicap seems to be somewhat lower than yours, and I am generally a good putter. However a crowned golf hole will tend to push putts off line, and if it really is volcano shaped, your chances of holing a putt of any length become pretty remote, not least because it will jump over the hole if struck at any pace. You seem to describe the issues I was talking about very well before rubbishing my putting btw!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My handicap seems to be somewhat lower than yours, and I am generally a good putter. However a crowned golf hole will tend to push putts off line, and if it really is volcano shaped, your chances of holing a putt of any length become pretty remote, not least because it will jump over the hole if struck at any pace.

Sorry Delc, and I'm not trying to be confrontational but weren't you moaning a while back that you were suffering the yips and now you're a good putter

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
My handicap seems to be somewhat lower than yours, and I am generally a good putter. However a crowned golf hole will tend to push putts off line, and if it really is volcano shaped, your chances of holing a putt of any length become pretty remote, not least because it will jump over the hole if struck at any pace.

Hi Del, I was merely pointing out the varying reasons for doughnuts and raised lips to highlight the reason for the misses was down to you. If I miss a put because of a defect in the green its my fault for not checking unless it is a spike mark which we cant repair. But then after putting past it I would repair it to assist future golfers on that line.

Yes but I'm not up my own backside about my handicap to the degree I'll use it to put golfers down who have been playing for many years less, and I don't moan like an old dear about things that everyone has to deal with without complaining.

And judging by your signature you keep blaming the putters or the course.. A little tip.... Look closer to home.

And I dont care if you have a dig at me. I'm happy with my enjoyment of the game and the hardwork the staff put in. I know if I played more than twice a month and practised at all I might be somewhat better than I am. And my handicap is going the right way unlike yours.

Keep smiling and enjoy the game and the companionship of others, and maybe you might moan less. I'm bored now replying, as many others are with your whining about stuff that is never going to change

:D

Last edited:

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your point is?????
So that's why they make it look so easy!