Crow Damage

Swango1980

Visit site
No doubt there is a thread on this somewhere, but couldn't find it.

Anyone's course suffering from crow damage. Any good ideas to try and deal with it?

We are having a really bad time with it this year, and I guess little can be done in this weather. Over the year, the owners have tried to have cannons going off every few minutes, and hanging dead crows on trees. Doesn't seem too successful. I hear the stuff they used to use in spraying the greens is either no longer permitted or way too expensive, but it depends who you listen to.

D

Deleted member 3432

Anyone's course suffering from crow damage. Any good ideas to try and deal with it?

We are having a really bad time with it this year, and I guess little can be done in this weather. Over the year, the owners have tried to have cannons going off every few minutes, and hanging dead crows on trees. Doesn't seem too successful. I hear the stuff they used to use in spraying the greens is either no longer permitted or way too expensive, but it depends who you listen to.

Birds digging for grubs is a problem for many clubs and directly linked to greenkeepers not allowed to use certain chemicals

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we have it too, a few years ago they distroyed a couple of tee's. thing is the leather jackets they are are digging for do more dammage to the grass that the crows do. Club sprays a bit more the last couple of years and the damange has been much less

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Got it on a couple of holes on the back 9, crows are total vandals! Greenkeepers fire flares from time to time and we have a fake hawk on a kite string that gets flown on breezy days. They also cored the fairways at about a 2" gap between cores as well - thank heavens for winter rules as you're always in a hole if you end up on the area under repair.

Hopefully now that there's golfers out there from dawn to dusk it'll keep the crows away long enough.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

What club is this?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not suffering course damage from crows but we have been suffering from ones that steal balls on one particular hole. Fortunately they seem to have departed to pastures new during lockdown.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have had crows digging for leatherjackets (cranefly larva), the pesticide that was used to kill leatherjackets was banned about 2 or 3 years ago, so more crows and magpies

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Same, crows and magpies have been tearing some areas around the greens to pieces. We used to have a green keeper that had licence to cull them, he'd set up a sniper post early doors and shoot them. I don't know if he's still with the club or not.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was banned a lot longer ago than that. 10 years?

Just googled it 2016,

It seems there is an allowable nematode treatment that can killer leatherjackets but has to be done at just the right time of year and in the right conditions.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is illegal to shoot birds unless for public health reasons or to protect crops. Might even be illegal for the second reason in England now.

This is perhaps a wildlife crime?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Same, crows and magpies have been tearing some areas around the greens to pieces. We used to have a green keeper that had licence to cull them, he'd set up a sniper post early doors and shoot them. I don't know if he's still with the club or not.

What club is that please?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We tried covering the greens with tarpaulins in the evening which makes all the grubs come to the surface. In the morning all the grubs were swept up and dumped in the trees.

D

Deleted member 3432

We tried covering the greens with tarpaulins in the evening which makes all the grubs come to the surface. In the morning all the grubs were swept up and dumped in the trees.

Not quite practical do it on faiways.

Chafer grubs are another problem on more sandy soils and like leather jackets the wildlife does like digging them up for breakfast, lunch and tea.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We've had some green damage from crows looking for leatherjackets. Seems to be all of the holes nearest the woods (unsurprisingly). Not sure what greenkeepers can do with all the chemical bans.