Crow Damage

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It probably happens more often than you think. In the last couple of years we have had the captain kill a crow that was sitting greenside with his tee shot on a 290 yard par 4 and another member killing a pigeon when he hit his tee shot into a tree.
Indeed , have done it myself , teed off on the first and hit a small bird in flight and sadly killed it .

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not great but it is what it is. Your green keeps need to get repairing and be more innovative in future in trying to reduce the number of bugs in the ground or deterring the crows in some way.
All damage promptly repaired.
As to the bugs, a combination of factors just conspired against us and led to the worst infestation of leatherjackets that anyone can remember . Not expecting the same next year unless the weather does the same as last winter.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our most affected greens are very close to the river and are also very tree lined so it probably a preferred spot for the insects.
Its a matter of where the flying creatures (crane fly and chafer fly) congregate and lay their eggs. Just out of interest, are the greens USGA spec or clay bowl structure?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They keep the wildlife in check to make sure the golf course can be as good as they can make it for us to play.....

What does keeping the wildlife in check mean?

At my place we have areas and initiatives to encourage wildlife. Pond with islands for nesting. Nest boxes on trees, areas where wild flowers are encouraged, help for Sand Martins to nest. How it should be.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It is perfectly possible to “control” wildlife away from certain parts of the course by encouraging habitats away from key areas.

Badgers though will churn up whatever is in front of them if the grubs are there, At Ellesborough they fix the damage and carry on . It only lasts a few weeks

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is perfectly possible to “control” wildlife away from certain parts of the course by encouraging habitats away from key areas.

Badgers though will churn up whatever is in front of them if the grubs are there, At Ellesborough they fix the damage and carry on . It only lasts a few weeks

Excellent.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Under what restrictions?

Crows or any other birds can only be killed to protect public safety or damage to crops, not golf courses. Laws are rightly being tightened all the time. Except "game" birds at times where they can be shot for food.

I'm a long time member of the RSPB, I wonder what they would make of this thread?

D

Deleted member 15344

Some clubs get very badly damaged by badgers - we had a summer where they ripped apart a good deal amount of the golf course and it lasted a lot longer than a couple of weeks - we lost a significant amount of income because of them with societies cancelling due to the state of the course. Thankfully they haven’t returned but hopefully someone can find a way to get rid of them.

Do see a lot more being run over these days so I’m not sure if they are being bred somewhere. Shame Buzzards and Kites don’t attack them

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Crows or any other birds can only be killed to protect public safety or damage to crops, not golf courses. Laws are rightly being tightened all the time. Except "game" birds at times where they can be shot for food.

I'm a long time member of the RSPB, I wonder what they would make of this thread?

And rabbits, moles and foxes?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And rabbits, moles and foxes?
Think rabbits and moles can be controlled within the law as long as they are treated in a way that prevents suffering.

I am not up on the rules for foxes but I would be absolutely horrified if a golf course was killing them as they are beautiful animals and deserve their place in the countryside.

Do they not help to control rabbit numbers? ?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think rabbits and moles can be controlled within the law as long as they are treated in a way that prevents suffering.

I am not up on the rules for foxes but I would be absolutely horrified if a golf course was killing them as they are beautiful animals and deserve their place in the countryside.

Do they not help to control rabbit numbers? ?

No idea but keep hugging the trees......if they make a mess of golf course then they should be shot!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think we have to take it as read that golf courses are acting within the law, unless there is evidence to the contrary.

Assumptions are being made here, and accusations being banded around based on here say & conjecture ,

Golf courses are a haven for wildlife