Crow Damage

D

Deleted member 15344

According to my new certificate, you may move the dead animal, but if you cause the ball to move it's a penalty ???
??

Thankfully the ball ended up a good 20 yards from the squirrel

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Corvids are very intelligent birds and a favourite of mine.

I commend their actions, they're doing a good job of naturally keeping down the crane fly population and so in the long term improving the health of the greens and fairways.

In any case golf courses are far too manicured these days so a bit of crow excavation has to be good.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

I commend their actions, they're doing a good job of naturally keeping down the crane fly population and so in the long term improving the health of the greens and fairways.

In any case golf courses are far too manicured these days so a bit of crow excavation has to be good.

https://www.pbs.org/lifeofbirds/brain/

The first item in this link is a my favourite story about crows.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hmm. I see where you're coming from, but you might think just a bit differently if you saw just how much of our 13th fairway they managed to dig up. Overall, i reckon it was about 1/3rd of the grass. And on the 8th they had the whole of the approach dug up - so much so, that there was a berm of discarded turf right across the front of the green. And all down to the quantity of leatherjackets in the soil this year.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hmm. I see where you're coming from, but you might think just a bit differently if you saw just how much of our 13th fairway they managed to dig up. Overall, i reckon it was about 1/3rd of the grass. And on the 8th they had the whole of the approach dug up - so much so, that there was a berm of discarded turf right across the front of the green. And all down to the quantity of leatherjackets in the soil this year.

Not great but it is what it is. Your green keeps need to get repairing and be more innovative in future in trying to reduce the number of bugs in the ground or deterring the crows in some way.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I'm with you Ken - laughing at an animal getting killed seems pretty odd to me. I get the bizareness of the situation, but the outcome would stop it being so funny.

As for the original post - 'hanging dead crows from trees'. WTF.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm with you Ken - laughing at an animal getting killed seems pretty odd to me. I get the bizareness of the situation, but the outcome would stop it being so funny.

As for the original post - 'hanging dead crows from trees'. WTF.
That was my exact reaction. First time I saw it I was shocked. I doubt a bird thinks like a human, so doubt it would have any impact whatsoever.

Occasionally we have annoying kids running on to one or 2 holes, nicking rakes from bunkers (when rakes were a thing). I hope the green keepers don't employ the same tactic to discourage them, otherwise I might consider leaving.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We tried covering the greens with tarpaulins in the evening which makes all the grubs come to the surface. In the morning all the grubs were swept up and dumped in the trees.

Dumped in the trees...........on top of the bonfire.;)

PS Hanging dead crows from trees and moles from fences was a way of showing the landowner that the gamekeeper was doing his job.
My uncle used to get half a guinea for every fox tail he hung up.

Swango1980

Visit site

PS Hanging dead crows from trees and moles from fences was a way of showing the landowner that the gamekeeper was doing his job.
Yeah. Curiosity has just turned me to google. Farmers, in the north of England anyway, hung dead crows up and apparently it does keep other crows away to some extent. Not sure of this was tested scientifically, or just a bit of a tradition.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The hope was that the crows would find the grubs in the trees and stop pecking the greens.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I read about an old farmer called Wardle who used to shoot rooks regularly. He took a young fella called Winkle out with him once and the daft beggar shot his best friend Tupman.

And on another sad note my mate killed a duck once. An animal nut he spends more time looking for wildlife than concentrating on his golf. On this occasion he completely topped his approach over the pond on 11, a daisy-cutter that took the duck clean out. He was completely mortified, unconsolable.

I often remind him about it.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unbelievable story Phil, what are the chances of that happening?? Can just imagine the squirrel falling and the ball dropping beside it.
It probably happens more often than you think. In the last couple of years we have had the captain kill a crow that was sitting greenside with his tee shot on a 290 yard par 4 and another member killing a pigeon when he hit his tee shot into a tree.