Crow Damage

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My club also has its greens attacked by crows searching for leatherjackets. It was EU legislation back in 2016 as far as I can remember which banned the pesticide which dealt with them.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It is illegal to shoot birds unless for public health reasons or to protect crops. Might even be illegal for the second reason in England now.

This is perhaps a wildlife crime?

Mir was about 3 years ago when he told me, maybe longer. I'm sure I remember him telling me he had to have a license for it. Looking at this link https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/generallicences/ seems it is not a crime.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes as it is wildlife crime. A manicured course is less important than an animal suffering ("even" a crow).

So why do you need to know the name of the club ?

I’m at the same club and one of our GK staff indeed used to shoot the crows

Last edited by a moderator:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are two different grubs that could be the cause of the crows digging. Either Crane Fly/Daddy Longlegs (ie Leather Jacket) or Chafer Beetles (Garden & Welsh Chafer Grubs).
The eggs are layed in the ground and the grubs eat the roots of the grass. Which is why a lawn which should be deep freen may start showing yellow patches mid summer. The crows go for the grubs. For some odd reason chafers seem to favour domestic gardens and crane flies prefer golf course fairways.
The original chemicals were banned here some years ago but are still available in the USA. I identified my grubs as chafers. A friend was a BA pilot and used to bring me supplies from the US but has now retired. I haven't seen any for a few years but treating the lawn is insurance for me and for the past couple of years I have been using nematodes from gardening-naturally.com (but there other suppliers).

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We don't have this problem thankfully, as we are links so only seabirds around and absolutely no trees to attract the grubs. We get the odd gull and a short time ago one of the members clattered one sitting in the middle of the fairway with a daisy cutter of a drive and killed it stone dead.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We don't have this problem thankfully, as we are links so only seabirds around and absolutely no trees to attract the grubs. We get the odd gull and a short time ago one of the members clattered one sitting in the middle of the fairway with a daisy cutter of a drive and killed it stone dead.

Why mention that?

D

Deleted member 15344

Why not?? It was a funny story!!! God forbid people would have a bit of a giggle on a golf forum

One of our swindle hit his tee shot from our 8th into a tree - a loud squeal and this squirrel feel to the ground brown bread - ?? it took a while until we all stopped wetting ourselves.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Somebody falling on their ass, or 5 putting yes but an animal being killed by a golf ball is NOT funny.
Oh it was funny, you do understand that different people find different things funny?? A gull getting hit by a golf ball is a funny accident as it is such an unlikely thing to happen especially as the drive was so bad but perhaps if I had said he fell on his arse when swinging and had 5 putted the previous green you might have enjoyed it a bit more. Lighten up boyo, life is hard enough at the minute and I don't need misers on a forum I have just come back to and thoroughly enjoy.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One of our swindle hit his tee shot from our 8th into a tree - a loud squeal and this squirrel feel to the ground brown bread - ?? it took a while until we all stopped wetting ourselves.
Unbelievable story Phil, what are the chances of that happening?? Can just imagine the squirrel falling and the ball dropping beside it.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
We’ve got it on the green surrounds, not sure what the plan is but they’ve caused a fair bit of damage.