Crossfield

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
But I wonder if he gets a kickback from the travel company he uses and mentions in the videos for the free advertising as well. Do you think he gets anything from Titleist and now Srixon/Cleveland

Of course he does. You really think he'd do it for free? He'll be getting paid by them all, otherwise why would he bother?

Also, it isn't 2012 anymore, Youtube earnings are a pittance, especially at the numbers Crossfield is pulling. It's an avenue to build a profile to get income elsewhere, mainly from sponsors, he won't be making a decent living from Youtube in 2020, the ad revenue is nothing like it was.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
He's getting about $90 per video, thats not gonna make him rich. But he'll be pulling in cash from other avenues too and if Peter finch can afford to employ 2 new staff then crossfield will be doing ok as well.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I saw gorilla James has turned pro and started his own channel, wonder what crossfields old mates from the Earl vlogs are doing now ?

james gave up golf and became a personal trainer i think he’s now trying to be a long drive pro

Harper tried to have a go at making it as a tour pro now a full time club pro trying to make a living

Buzzer went to work in a Leadbitter academy in the states and then Thailand

Don’t think he ever ditched them just himself and lockey got the YGT gig

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Of course he does. You really think he'd do it for free? He'll be getting paid by them all, otherwise why would he bother?

Also, it isn't 2012 anymore, Youtube earnings are a pittance, especially at the numbers Crossfield is pulling. It's an avenue to build a profile to get income elsewhere, mainly from sponsors, he won't be making a decent living from Youtube in 2020, the ad revenue is nothing like it was.

Of course I didn't think he'd do it for free. More a level of scale as to how much it would influence his annual earning (which before anyone reacts is entirely down to him and how he compiles them) and the fact that as you rightly point out he won;t be making big bucks per video or based on his viewing numbers.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Didn't the like of Gorilla James and the others go off and do their own channels and content. I think it was case of him wanting to make Youtube the main source of income and drop the teaching (does he even still do lessons?). Lockey now does all of the camera work and editing and I thins Dan Hendrikson is there as they use his facilities to film

James (Gorilla) is pushing to improve to get on tour, and doing youtube videos on his progress. Buzza is now in America and still releasing YT content. I think Harps is working in a local supermarket. Pickard I believe has given up with golf.

Crossfield is/was still teaching, but you need to be a rich man to see him now. Dan is the pro at Torquay and they used to use his facilities, they now use the studio's at Honiton GC. Lockey got married just before Xmas and that's why he's not in the latest content.... Honeymoon. He always did do a lot of editing, he's been employed by Crossfield for a fair few years now.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a life eh. I’m sure they’re absolutely knackered with the travelling, and they seem to tee off very early...don’t imagine they’re YT squillionaires either! But I’d bloody love to do what they do.

I went off them for a while, but for me they’re the best out there. I’ve tried golfmates, Rick shiels, Peter finch, me and my golf etc, and whilst they’re watchable they’re just not as interesting as crossfield et al. In my opinion.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is why I only watch course vlogs and similar videos from some people now. However earnest their intentions are, once sponsorships, kick backs, press junkets, prize giveaway items etc become involved I lose any belief in review impartiality.

It used to be the benefit of YouTube, people reviewing outside of the pressures of keeping advertisers happy, the usual media circus and influences but too many have welcomed that into their YouTube channels and lost the impartial moral high ground.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
But I wonder if he gets a kickback from the travel company he uses and mentions in the videos for the free advertising as well. Do you think he gets anything from Titleist and now Srixon/Cleveland

I don't know if he'd get much money from Your Golf Travel, aside form the trips and tee times. Which would actually cost thousands per trip and probably not economical to do if he was paying himself, even with YT earnings.

He will def get some cash from Titleist and Srixon with those deals. As well as a choice of equipment and no doubt access to some events, players, media days etc as well.

I'd imagine the majority of his income will be from Youtube ads, but as I said, likely charges far more to do fewer lessons to top up his income.

But he does release a LOT of content and this will probably take up hours per video, albeit he may now get someone to edit some of the videos for him. Especially the course vlogs.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know if he'd get much money from Your Golf Travel, aside form the trips and tee times. Which would actually cost thousands per trip and probably not economical to do if he was paying himself, even with YT earnings.

He will def get some cash from Titleist and Srixon with those deals. As well as a choice of equipment and no doubt access to some events, players, media days etc as well.

I'd imagine the majority of his income will be from Youtube ads, but as I said, likely charges far more to do fewer lessons to top up his income.

But he does release a LOT of content and this will probably take up hours per video, albeit he may now get someone to edit some of the videos for him. Especially the course vlogs.

He wouldn't go on the trips if he wasn't sponsored by YGT, he's not choosing to go on jolly's with his mates, they're work trips. They use him as one of their main sources of marketing. Their logos are plastered all over his clothes, he's on the website, their YT channel, he's 100% getting paid by them.

Also free equipment is not an incentive for someone like Mark, he has free access to whatever clubs he wants, being able to choose his equipment from Srixon is not an incentive for him. They'll be paying him, and be paying him well, again, as one of their main sources of marketing material.

It won't. He'll be making basically nothing from Youtube adverts. Socialblade estimates his monthly earnings between £384-£6.1k and it'll definitely be on the lower end as YT ad revenue has died a death in recent years. The bulk of his income will come from sponsorships and lessons, with Youtube just topping up the bank balance each month. I'd be surprised if he's even making 4 figures from Youtube in a month. I follow a guy who has very similar numbers to Mark and he has said a number of times that Youtube barely pays for his food shopping each month. Not to say the money's not decent, but it's a platform to build a brand and to drive income, it isn't the main moneymaker for these guys anymore, the ad revenue is shocking, especially for the amount of work required to put out consistent content.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
An absolute clown who's probably clearing £5k to £10k most months from making videos.

You might not like his voice or style, but he is certainly not a clown.

Knows his stuff with regards to the swing and club fitting and has built a very successful brand / channel.
How do you know he knows his stuff around club fitting? He basically try’s to disagree with everything everyone else says.

I feel for the people that watch his stuff and trust him

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you know he knows his stuff around club fitting? He basically try’s to disagree with everything everyone else says.

I feel for the people that watch his stuff and trust him
I'm sure he fitted when he worked as a teaching pro, also hes used gcquad for as long as anybody and he keeps up to date with all the technology so why shouldn't he be able to fit ? You have the guys at TXG and whilst I've no question Ian is a very good fitter his main objective is to drive sales. It's so blatantly obvious when watching his material that hes saying this years products are better this better that when in reality they aren't. Why is he doing this ? well as a business owner at a fitting studio which also sells shafts and clubs he basically has to say the newest is bigger and better otherwise hes doing himself out of work. Also was curious to see the TXG trip down to Taylormade, there is something cynical in me that believes there is more behind that.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are a number of minimums before YT will start paying out. 1 is at least a 1000 subscribers I think.
Why are subscribers more important than actual views? Surely eyeballs are the most important thing (not saying you're wrong, just curious how the model works).
For instance, nlu don't have that many subscribers but get lots of views for their content (about a 1/1 ratio), while some of the really pants golf tubers have 100s of thousands of subscribers but very few views (sebgolf). Do the latter get paid more?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Must be very hard to do the amount of videos these guys do and still keep it interesting as the content is fairly repetitive. You'll never please everyone, try too hard and some will find it over the top, don't try hard enough and some will find it boring. Will be interesting to see how he gets on with the launcher irons on course he seemed very consistent and straight in the studio test.