Crossfield

Springveldt

Visit site
I wonder why they have changed studios for the recent content?

I still like his vlogs, watch most of them. Lockey seems to have changed up his editing style lately as well, gives the newer stuff a fresher look.

Those launcher clubs are like him, marmite.

albie999

Visit site

I still like his vlogs, watch most of them. Lockey seems to have changed up his editing style lately as well, gives the newer stuff a fresher look.

Also as well as changing studios, where has Dan gone. Seen him in a couple of vLogs, however, not much of him in the new stuff

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

Dan will still be featuring I'm sure, I think perhaps the new club is maybe closer to mark and let him use or paying him a small fee to use and advertise their facilities. That would be my guess anyway

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you know he knows his stuff around club fitting? He basically try’s to disagree with everything everyone else says.

I feel for the people that watch his stuff and trust him

I can tell with the level of his content relative to others that I see.

Give us an example of something that he's wrong on, if you are so certain?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
He wouldn't go on the trips if he wasn't sponsored by YGT, he's not choosing to go on jolly's with his mates, they're work trips. They use him as one of their main sources of marketing. Their logos are plastered all over his clothes, he's on the website, their YT channel, he's 100% getting paid by them.

Also free equipment is not an incentive for someone like Mark, he has free access to whatever clubs he wants, being able to choose his equipment from Srixon is not an incentive for him. They'll be paying him, and be paying him well, again, as one of their main sources of marketing material.

It won't. He'll be making basically nothing from Youtube adverts. Socialblade estimates his monthly earnings between £384-£6.1k and it'll definitely be on the lower end as YT ad revenue has died a death in recent years. The bulk of his income will come from sponsorships and lessons, with Youtube just topping up the bank balance each month. I'd be surprised if he's even making 4 figures from Youtube in a month. I follow a guy who has very similar numbers to Mark and he has said a number of times that Youtube barely pays for his food shopping each month. Not to say the money's not decent, but it's a platform to build a brand and to drive income, it isn't the main moneymaker for these guys anymore, the ad revenue is shocking, especially for the amount of work required to put out consistent content.

Fair enough. I think when he started, there was a less saturated market and he realised that he could make a reasonable income from videos, but in reality his view numbers, while consistently in the 10s of thousands are relatively small fry in Youtube world as the market has become more saturated.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can tell with the level of his content relative to others that I see.

Give us an example of something that he's wrong on, if you are so certain?
Don’t be such a fan boy.

He’s talked plenty of times about shaft not mattering etc etc. He’s wrong.

The bloke is a grade a Tw*t and that’s the opinion of plenty of people that have spent time around him too

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
As said YouTube doesn't pay like it used to, not entirely sure how true this is but it's certainly eye opening. Rick has a lot of American subscribers which pays more, I imagine Crossfield and Finch are majority UK subscribers. Shiels used his brain with doing videos with the likes of Dude Perfect and his charity day, to raise his status further.

Personally I like Shiels and Finch, never find myself returning to watch Crossfield.

Rick is the only one really that could make a living from content creation if the below links are accurate. Crossfield and Finch must do a lot in the background to earn money? I guess facebook/Instagram are other revenue streams now also.

Rick Shiels:
https://us.youtubers.me/rick-shiels-golf/youtuber-stats

Mark Crossfield:
https://us.youtubers.me/mark-crossfield/youtuber-stats

Peter Finch
https://us.youtubers.me/peter-finch-golf/youtuber-stats

OneEyeRon

Hacker
Visit site
Crossfield's vids went very 'inside jokes' so as a casual viewer I wasn't finding much of the content entertaining - I can imagine this being off putting for new viewers. I also felt as though I was being spoken down to, Rick on the other hand has a more matey vibe which makes for an easier watch.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I saw Lester ‘Mince’ mention this. At Torquay there were three pros trying to use one studio. where they are now has three studios and no-one using them....so they may as well have one.

i also don’t believe Rick Shiels subscribers etc are all they are cracked up to be....

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Clearly. But then again according to Grant85 he’s a golfing messiah :)

I know very little about equipment technology, especially regarding shafts, but thought it was very interesting how in Crossfields two recentish videos on the subject there were very minor differences in the numbers between the shafts tested given they were blind testing them.

As someone more educated on the subject than me, what in your opinion were the tests missing? What would you change? And if he were to re-test using your changes what differences to the numbers would you expect to see between shaft profiles?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know very little about equipment technology, especially regarding shafts, but thought it was very interesting how in Crossfields two recentish videos on the subject there were very minor differences in the numbers between the shafts tested given they were blind testing them.

As someone more educated on the subject than me, what in your opinion were the tests missing? What would you change? And if he were to re-test using your changes what differences to the numbers would you expect to see between shaft profiles?
We all naturally adjust our swings to fit cube clubs were given but it doesn’t mean it’s optimal.

I’ll be honest I won’t watch the video, I won’t give him the time of day just like he won’t give anyone else that disagrees with him it.

There are far more knowledgable people in the industry both in terms of coaching at fitting.

Fair play to him for grinding out a business out of and off the back off YouTube. He found a niche at the time when he was a just a standard range pro

Personally I cannot stand the man.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
We all naturally adjust our swings to fit cube clubs were given but it doesn’t mean it’s optimal.

I’ll be honest I won’t watch the video, I won’t give him the time of day just like he won’t give anyone else that disagrees with him it.

There are far more knowledgable people in the industry both in terms of coaching at fitting.

Fair play to him for grinding out a business out of and off the back off YouTube. He found a niche at the time when he was a just a standard range pro

Personally I cannot stand the man.
Just because you dislike someone doesn't make their knowledge bad. I can lose count of the amount of times hes tested shafts on extreme ends of the scale with different golfers and found similar results. He doesn't say they dont make a difference, his point is they make little difference to performance, its mostly a difference in the feel of a club that they bring. Look at rick shiels and his beginner set against the maverick, the maverick only averaged 9 yards longer, and the beginner driver had a generic regular shaft

Springveldt

Visit site
Dan will still be featuring I'm sure, I think perhaps the new club is maybe closer to mark and let him use or paying him a small fee to use and advertise their facilities. That would be my guess anyway
It would appear Dan has left the channel and is going to try and get his own channel going. Interesting choice considering how saturated YouTube golf seems to be at the moment. From the sound of it he has a deal with a golf travel company already though, so I guess working with Crossfield has paid off for him.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a fan of Mark's videos but sometimes I feel he is getting a bit of an ego. At the monent it just seems to be him and Coach Lockey talking about Marks new clubs with the odd review.

Shame Dan left, although he did say they would still team up from time to time. Apparently the split was fully amicable due to Mark moving to Honiton GC or something.

P.s. off topic but can someone tell me how to quote another post please?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Seems like Dan is going to be doing his own thing. I'm all for that. I enjoy Dan's content and look forward to see what he's doing on his own.

With regards to the shaft points, I think this was a topic a while ago (as in a 3 or 4 years ago) but I'm sure Crossfield's point was that there isn't as huge a difference as some might thing between getting a stock shaft and a fancy new shaft at an extra £200 or whatever.

I'm sure he wasn't saying there's no difference between getting an x-stiff and a regular flex.

I'm also sure he'll have a pretty reasonable 20 minutes somewhere on what impact shaft flex can and does have.

I'm a fan of Mark's videos but sometimes I feel he is getting a bit of an ego. At the monent it just seems to be him and Coach Lockey talking about Marks new clubs with the odd review.

Shame Dan left, although he did say they would still team up from time to time. Apparently the split was fully amicable due to Mark moving to Honiton GC or something.

P.s. off topic but can someone tell me how to quote another post please?

Hit the reply button in the bottom right of someone's post and it should automatically add this quote into a new post box.

Russ_D

Club Champion
Visit site
Seems like Dan is going to be doing his own thing. I'm all for that. I enjoy Dan's content and look forward to see what he's doing on his own.

With regards to the shaft points, I think this was a topic a while ago (as in a 3 or 4 years ago) but I'm sure Crossfield's point was that there isn't as huge a difference as some might thing between getting a stock shaft and a fancy new shaft at an extra £200 or whatever.

I'm sure he wasn't saying there's no difference between getting an x-stiff and a regular flex.

I'm also sure he'll have a pretty reasonable 20 minutes somewhere on what impact shaft flex can and does have.

Hit the reply button in the bottom right of someone's post and it should automatically add this quote into a new post box.
Thanks for the help (y)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would also point out that the level of work, time, commitment and outlay involved in doing 'youtube' with 5 to 7 videos a week is huge and as some seem to have worked out, there isn't a guarantee of financial reward. Especially with the market being more saturated.

I'm not a huge fan of Rick Shiels, but what I do is I just don't watch his videos. After about the 3rd or 4th video that I gave up on after a few minutes, I realised his stuff wasn't holding my attention, so I just avoid him and he rarely appears in my feed any more.

It also seems that if you only do 1 video a week or every few weeks, in youtube world you are virtually nowhere and it takes 'daily content' to build up a channel, unless you already have a platform elsewhere to direct people to your videos.

No Laying Up guys produce decent quality, well edited content and already had a fairly good online presence pre Youtube. Their videos are getting between 15,000 and 80,000 views, with a video most weeks. It's decent, but far from life changing, especially given all the things that went on beforehand to give them a platform and budget to make these kind of videos (that isn't just a couple of guys playing round their local course).