Crazy Par stories

Visit site
I've found this forum amusing and educational as a long time lurker, so looking to dive in and contribute...

Inspired by something I read elsewhere, we know there are no pictures on a card so what crazy par stories do you have?

Mine was a few years ago...par 4 tee shot waaay right behind trees...tried the hero Seve shot with a massive fade but went straight and into trees on the left of the fairway about 80 yards short of green...had a fortunate lie and punched out to about 10ft over the green...then holed the chip :)

There were a few comments about that hole in the club house later over a pint or two!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Recent one was playing the 18th at Stockley Park. It's a par 5 that bends round to the left. My tee shot I managed to hit an awful thinned slice so that made it more difficult right off the bat. Hit a hybrid back to the fairway, slightly thin but found the right place. Then hooked a 7 iron well left onto this steep bank covered in heather and nettles. Still about 100 yards short of the pin, I just about got in there and found a stance, just punted it out with quite an upright pitching wedge. To my surprise it not only came out cleanly, but rolled right up to the pin and lipped the edge of the cup, leaving me a 6 inch tap in for par. Made a bit of a mess of the hole but it only takes one good shot sometimes.

Had another one in a four-ball match, on the only occasion I've represented my club - at Thorney Park (11th I think). Hit a bloody awful topped drive, had to just hit a recovery 7 iron to get me back to where the tee shot should have gone. Then approaching the green it was short and only just avoided going in the front bunkers. Had a bit of an awkward stance due to where the bunker was, stabbed a chip quite a bit too hard, luckily it hit the pin square and dropped in - would have been off the green otherwise. The reaction from our opponents was priceless I must say. :LOL:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sliced a tee shot clean over some very large trees that lined the river to the right of the 9th hole. Landed in the middle of the 10th fairway. Waved my playing partners off as I crossed the bridge to the other side. Was quite a way up so lashed a PW at the ball to gain the required height to clear the trees back to the 9th. My ball landed 10cm from the hole, to audible gasps from my playing partners, for nearest the pin and a tap in birdie. :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
playing with a mate thats a member at Royal Dornoch a few months ago, i managed to half every hole on the front 9 with a par without hitting a good shot, where he kept hitting good drives and approach shots the whole way, just didn't sink anything, despite being withing 10 feet on each hole... he was fuming:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Friend of mine carved his tee shot into some thick trees and did very well to find it. His chip out went into a bunker and finished under the lip. He had to come out backwards then he holed a 3 wood for par.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We all know it, but my favourite one is that Freddie Couples one at Sawgrass 17th. First tee shot in the drink, tees up again and slamdunks it straight in the cup. :D

D

Deleted member 1147

One of my best was actually on the 7th at Broadstone - reading the thread about that hole makes me smile when I think about it.

I hit my tee shot too far, so was in the heather on the downslope just past the fairway. I then managed to get my 2nd into the bunkers short of and below the green. Bunker shot just short of the green and then chipped it.
Easy hole :ROFLMAO:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So many to choose from -its a speciality of mine....
430 yard uphill par 4, slight dogleg left.
Mahoosive slice, approximately 80 yards wide
Towering 5 wood over the trees back onto the fairway.
8 iron to 15 feet and hole the putt
Simples

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
tee shot on a par 5 was pulled straight oob left,3 off the tee was in the semi but a decent way down the hole,shot 4 was a three wood to 2ft and holed out for par .it was the 18th at Ifield and I needed a par finish to break 80 for the first time ever, absolutely made up with myself after doing that.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine was a Medium Par 5 (4th hole at Springwater), I hit a massive drive that just kept on running which left me an 8 iron into the green. I creamed it right over the back of the green past the OOB stakes.
I took a drop and went for a 9 iron this time and put it 10 foot from the flag. I knocked that straight into the hole for the best/worst par I've ever had. (Should have been an Eagle :mad: ).

Visit site
tee shot on a par 5 was pulled straight oob left,3 off the tee was in the semi but a decent way down the hole,shot 4 was a three wood to 2ft and holed out for par .it was the 18th at Ifield and I needed a par finish to break 80 for the first time ever, absolutely made up with myself after doing that.

If you're going to break 80 for the first time then do it Hollywood style :)

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know it asks for pars but I just have to add this here, forgive me as I remain embarrassed at this to this day. Short par 4 just over 300 mostly uphill. Hybrid usually leaves me a wedge in, but on this day I topped the hybrid about 80 yards. Left me a full 3 wood. Hit it thin, but like a bullet and it skipped all the way past the flag, after skimming the fairway several times on its way....then hit the wall behind the green, popped back on and trickled into the hole for an eagle.

One awful topped shot, another awful thinned shot.....2 on the card. I remain ashamed

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Class in matchplay comps this one was a doubles

Opening hole in the semi final

It’s a short opening hole, fatted a 4 iron about 30 yards ... fatted a 7 iron about 100 ... air mailed the green with a 9 iron

I chip in for par and one of the lads we were playing who was on the green in two three putts we win the hole (other couldn’t get up and down just off the green in 2)

Lovely stuff :p

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had one the other day..... short par 4 only 280 yards.... thought I would hit my 4 iron, chunked it about 60 yards just in front of the ladies tee.
Fuming with myself didn’t think and decided to take on the blind 2nd shot with said 4 iron, flushed it 220for tap in bird... stupid game

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Read my yardage wrong on par four hit 6 iron instead of 9 iron .
Flush in the middle of clubhouse window very big one ,
Ball rebounds on green two putt.
Easy hole.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
PP had a shocker on a par 5 earlier in the summer - push slice into trees on the right handside; took on the Hollywood second shot with his 3 wood, ball didn't get out of the trees (they line the whole fairway to the green); took his 3rd to try and leave the ball 100 yards from the green as there is a pond that goes up to about 5 yards short of the green but stayed tangled in the rough and trees on the right hand side before the water. Managed to stab his fourth over the right handside of the green to knee high rough on the other side, lucky to find it. Muscled it out of that much better than any of us thought possible, ball rocketed onto green, easy going to traverse the whole green into the pond but it smacked the flag dead centre and dropped in. Five poor shots and zero putts!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had one last week. Horror tee shot on par 3 13th. Ball was in heavy rough with a small tree to go over. Pitched it perfectly to a foot and tapped the putt in. To be honest given the lie it was a hit and hope out of the rough but came out perfectly.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Girl I played with during the summer hit a drive on a tee lined hole through the trees and into a lateral hazard, played it out of the hazard onto the adjacent fairway, thenit over the trees onto the green and hole the putt.

D

Deleted member 15717

Recent one was mine last weekend on our 14th in competition.

Blazed the tee shot well right and behind trees. Could either chip out sideways, or try and hit a wedge high over the trees. Took that route and cleared the trees, just, and just missed the bunker in the middle of the fairway.
120 yards out, I semi-shank wedge pin high, but 35/40ft right of the green. Holed the chip.

Never looked like making anything else 😂