Course closed tomorrow...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours has just been announced

Course and changing rooms open but everything else shut.

Personally I will be playing because I know if I want to watch events the BBC will show everything from 6am on the Monday until midnight the next day with it also being on Iplayer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd imagine those clubs that stay open will do quite well out of it with extra visitors on what would normally be a quiet day.

If pro shops and clubhouses are shut who is gong to be taking the booking and fee? I am fairly sure our manager said we are open for members only.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Ours has just been announced

Course and changing rooms open but everything else shut.

Personally I will be playing because I know if I want to watch events the BBC will show everything from 6am on the Monday until midnight the next day with it also being on Iplayer.

See that's the problem. It's not the funeral itself, it's all the waffle that goes with it. I was watching the procession from Holyrood House today. It was great, except for James Naughtie spouting on and on for the whole journey. I had to switch over to ITV (the horror!) where they had long silences that conveyed the gravity and atmosphere of the occasion.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s all new to many as don’t think many of us were around when the last reigning monarch passed away

One major difference between when king George died and now is all the news and media outlets (TV internet etc) that we can all watch it on , I am told there was an absolute boom in TV sets being sold for the queens Coronation the following year.

One other is that back then public transport was fairly inexpensive and very frequent so a lot of people are likely to have made the effort to travel and watch the procession as the only way to see it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get what you're saying, but given the bucket of crap that UK people have had and are having to endure at the moment, we'll take whatever we're given. :LOL:
I'm not a full monarchy lover, but we have just seen the passing of a Monarch who is the last figurehead of the generation that stood up to tyrrany in WW2. They put up with "buckets load more crap" than you and I have ever had. So count yourself lucky as because of them you have the free speech and will to be able to choose what to do and when to do it.
It's 1 day you can't do what you want......get over it. That generation put up with a lot more.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not a full monarchy lover, but we have just seen the passing of a Monarch who is the last figurehead of the generation that stood up to tyrrany in WW2. They put up with "buckets load more crap" than you and I have ever had. So count yourself lucky as because of them you have the free speech and will to be able to choose what to do and when to do it.
It's 1 day you can't do what you want......get over it. That generation put up with a lot more.
Overreaction of the year award goes to you - congrats, you've beaten some fierce competition on here. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think that what is important is that King Charles III learns from his mother passing away. He needs to be aware how much of an inconvenience it has been to some folk ( but not everyone) with his mother, our Queen-of 70 years passing away. I think it may be an idea if one of his consorts ask him that when his time is done he passes away on the Monday afternoon after the final Sunday of the premier league. That way no prem games are cancelled. Whilst he is at it. Maybe a quick burial at the local which would also cut down on Co emissions and the inconvenience it may cause the Police.

Sweet mother. ?

our head of state has passed away and I am reading folk complining coz they cannot go to a game then moan on here coz VAR is crap, cannot play 18 holes then ask do I declare a provisional.

It would cheer me up no end if the forum was shut down for 24 hrs next Monday as a mark of respect to out departed Queen.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our owners have decided to stay open, though our Club has decided to postpone the Seniors match with Harrogate & cancel the Seniors Monday Comp.
The BRS is currently pretty full though a few folk have said they'll be canceling & the 'Radical-Respect Police' are already voicing their displeasure at it all. However, most of the normal people I know are happy they've more than fulfilled the respect requirements & are comfortable doing what they choose on the day.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
I think that what is important is that King Charles III learns from his mother passing away. He needs to be aware how much of an inconvenience it has been to some folk ( but not everyone) with his mother, our Queen-of 70 years passing away. I think it may be an idea if one of his consorts ask him that when his time is done he passes away on the Monday afternoon after the final Sunday of the premier league. That way no prem games are cancelled. Whilst he is at it. Maybe a quick burial at the local which would also cut down on Co emissions and the inconvenience it may cause the Police.

Sweet mother. ?

our head of state has passed away and I am reading folk complining coz they cannot go to a game then moan on here coz VAR is crap, cannot play 18 holes then ask do I declare a provisional.

It would cheer me up no end if the forum was shut down for 24 hrs next Monday as a mark of respect to out departed Queen.
I'll be playing golf as my friends course is open.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
See that's the problem. It's not the funeral itself, it's all the waffle that goes with it. I was watching the procession from Holyrood House today. It was great, except for James Naughtie spouting on and on for the whole journey. I had to switch over to ITV (the horror!) where they had long silences that conveyed the gravity and atmosphere of the occasion.
Watch it on mute and you get all the silence you want. That's what I did and it worked a treat!

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Watch it on mute and you get all the silence you want. That's what I did and it worked a treat!

Problem is, you don't get the same atmosphere. It would be nice if you could switch the commentary off and just have the crowd noise like they do for some football matches.

Yorkhacker

Visit site

Sweet mother. ?

I know. Its just like when some people went on holiday to Mexico when Covid-19 was just getting started and then claimed the government hadn't specifically told them they couldn't so it was OK to go.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Problem is, you don't get the same atmosphere. It would be nice if you could switch the commentary off and just have the crowd noise like they do for some football matches.
Yep, I get that. It would have been lovely if they could have dead air, but for some reason silence isn't golden!
Weirdly though, I loved the football when there was no crowd noise during COVID and I could also turn down the commentary, but make out the shouts from players and managers. Like watching non-league football! ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you think I'm going to sit indoors gawping at BBC coverage for 12 hours then you're sorely mistaken. I can respect what she did for the country without having to suffer that.
I'm not advocating sitting in front of the tv for any length of time, but then I suspect you know that anyway.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you think I'm going to sit indoors gawping at BBC coverage for 12 hours then you're sorely mistaken. I can respect what she did for the country without having to suffer that.

I don’t anyone is suggesting that what people should be doing