Course closed tomorrow...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that my club is looking to follow the example of the 'Royal' clubs. I know the clubhouse will be closed. I am not sure about the course. If the Royals close their course then I expect mine to do likewise. I have no issue with this and would rather hope it is closed. A simple mark of respect.

19th Is also my wife's birthday. We may try to go up to London, if not we will watch on TV and reflect on what the Queen has given us and the nation, and of what we have been fortunate to receive as a result of the work and sacrifices of our parents and grandparents.

For me - a day for quiet reflection and giving thanks.

But not shut today...

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because we live in a democracy where we have free will to do as we choose. In the same way that non Christians aren't forced to celebrate Christmas, people who aren't interested in the funeral should be free to select how they spend the day. It's ridiculous to have the course closed, when having it open has no effect on anybody.
Of course people can miss golf. But why should they be forced to? And what about people on trips away, especially those who have come from abroad?
Completely agree. My course has said they'll be shut on the 19th. Bit annoying as I can't play this weekend so my immediate thought was to play on that Monday, but now I can't. A bank holiday with golf courses shut, what's the point - I might as well just be working!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a royal club on crown land we have received instruction that we MUST close on the 19th (and last Friday) and all matches, club competitions, social events and private parties are cancelled during the period of mourning up to and including the date of the funeral. Social golf is permitted

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just received an email from the boss to say that our showroom will be closed on the day. Completely closed.
Normally on a Bank holiday everything shuts except sales, so a bit unusual...

D

Deleted member 15344

Just received an email from the boss to say that our showroom will be closed on the day. Completely closed.
Normally on a Bank holiday everything shuts except sales, so a bit unusual...
i think that’s the message from a lot of areas , whilst it’s a bank holiday I think it’s not your standard bank holiday and there doesn’t appear to be a standard way to follow.
Completely agree. My course has said they'll be shut on the 19th. Bit annoying as I can't play this weekend so my immediate thought was to play on that Monday, but now I can't. A bank holiday with golf courses shut, what's the point - I might as well just be working!

As with above - this is not your standard Bank holiday where the country get a day off to enjoy themselves doing what they want.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i think that’s the message from a lot of areas , whilst it’s a bank holiday I think it’s not your standard bank holiday and there doesn’t appear to be a standard way to follow.

As with above - this is not your standard Bank holiday where the country get a day off to enjoy themselves doing what they want.
As I said - bit pointless then. I might as well be working if I can't do anything else.

Visit site
I have a Tour in Scotland organised for next week. Nine of us. I have just been informed that Monday's course will be open for the day.....thank goodness. There will be a 2 minute silence at midday, which I think is right and proper.
I wonder if their decision was influenced by the amount of money to be paid back......in my case, just shy of £600!!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our course will be open for play. Locker rooms open between 8 and 5 but all other facilities closed, even the pro shop. Yet to hear from work as to whether we get the day off.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Remember the Newcastle game getting called off

There was also the Queen Mother passing away and for the funeral it was a declared a national day of mourning and businesses etc had the choice - sort of what’s happening right now expect next Monday is a bank holiday

I don’t think any business has been told they must close and people must be given the day off but I think with schools closed then many will give people the day off to also help with childcare etc
I remember my golf course closed the morning after Princess Diana died. The decision was taken as soon as the Director of Golf arrived at the course. They weren't told to do it, but they felt it was the appropriate thing to do.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Our course will be open for play. Locker rooms open between 8 and 5 but all other facilities closed, even the pro shop. Yet to hear from work as to whether we get the day off.
Ours will be the same as yours, except the locker room is available as normal. Makes no difference to me as I never play on a Monday anyway.

sjw

Visit site
Courses closing is up there with the dumbest things I've ever heard. Same as cancelling the football, IMVHO

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ours sent out email this afternoon that the clubhouse and pro shop will be closed and that there will be no work on the course.

However they are leaving the tee sheet open for members only and ask anyone who decides not to play to remove their name.

Think that’s fair enough

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess I have no issue with people golfing but I would like to see more made to differentiate this from a normal bank holiday, albeit that is the title being used. This is not a fun, free day off, enjoy yourself bank holiday, it is a national day of mourning given to allow a country to mourn the passing of the Queen. That is the sole purpose of the day off. If that is not something that you want to do then perhaps you do not need the day off as you do not want to make use of the day for the purpose it was given.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess I have no issue with people golfing but I would like to see more made to differentiate this from a normal bank holiday, albeit that is the title being used. This is not a fun, free day off, enjoy yourself bank holiday, it is a national day of mourning given to allow a country to mourn the passing of the Queen. That is the sole purpose of the day off. If that is not something that you want to do then perhaps you do not need the day off as you do not want to make use of the day for the purpose it was given.
I get what you're saying, but given the bucket of crap that UK people have had and are having to endure at the moment, we'll take whatever we're given. :LOL: