Course closed tomorrow...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not advocating sitting in front of the tv for any length of time, but then I suspect you know that anyway.
I don’t anyone is suggesting that what people should be doing
Ok, so let's get this straightened out then. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is playing golf which apparently leaves no time for respecting the Queen, and 10 is watching BBC coverage of the funeral for 12 hours which you've agreed is an unrealistic target, whereabouts is the optimum level and what does it entail? If I'm to be told what to do with my bank holiday I just want to do it right.

D-S

Visit site
I’m not sure of the reasoning or the protocol here (it is a first for almost all of us) - what should we be doing on Monday (seemingly sitting in front of the TV for 12 hours isn’t obligatory) and what should we not be doing (golf apparently). Is there a middle ground? If so what is it?

Springveldt

Visit site
Not going to lie and it’s going to sound a bit callous but by the time the funeral rolls around I’m going to be tired of all this mourning. I’ve got to the point already that I’m not even turning on the BBC because clearly the whole world has stopped to mourn the Queen and nothing else is happening in the world right now.

It’s like the whole country is trying to outdo each other to see who can show the most respect.

I’ve no idea why closing a golf course is showing respect unless everyone is expected to sit down and watch the funeral on the tv.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Ok, so let's get this straightened out then. On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is playing golf which apparently leaves no time for respecting the Queen, and 10 is watching BBC coverage of the funeral for 12 hours which you've agreed is an unrealistic target, whereabouts is the optimum level and what does it entail? If I'm to be told what to do with my bank holiday I just want to do it right.
Well, on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is nobody in the whole wide world gives a flying fart what you do next Monday and 1 is where everybody in the whole wide world give less than that, I suppose you can do what you like.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Wow!

This thread …. It literally proves the forum will argue over everything and anything.
Blame Smiffy, he started the thread. To the casual observer he asked a seemingly innocuous question. But what he was really doing was lighting the blue touch paper of anarchy and standing well back. He even admitted destroying the evidence by saying he had 'lost' the email. He is an evil genius!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Blame Smiffy, he started the thread. To the casual observer he asked a seemingly innocuous question. But what he was really doing was lighting the blue touch paper of anarchy and standing well back. He even admitted destroying the evidence by saying he had 'lost' the email. He is an evil genius!

I still haven't found the original email but clubs tee booking sheet confirms it is indeed next Monday that the course is closed.
God save the King.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Received an email from the club yesterday, clubhouse and course both closed all day on Monday.
My place likewise and I personally have no issues. The Captain has received email complaints, understandable, but not acceptable that some are personal in nature. Not sure if club will compensate non-salaried staff due to work that day (hourly paid clubhouse staff and the pros for lost teaching time) for loss of earnings.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking but here goes

The Queen the head of state has passed away , she is one of the most iconic figures around the world and our head of state

So for her funeral it’s been declared a bank holiday so that businesses can close to allow their staff to make their choice on if they want to go to London or watch the funeral etc - it’s not something that is compulsory it’s a choice what people do - also schools will be closed so people will need to look after kids

Now it’s called a bank holiday but it’s not your late summer bank holiday where everyone gets in the car and hits the beach or a bank holiday

Now golf clubs are just like all those other businesses, they have staff who may want to respect the day so many will be closing their clubhouse and shops and will also close the course - it’s not been done to stop you going for a game of golf the clubs will have done it because they think it’s the right thing to do

If you don’t think that’s right then tell them and if you are that desperate for a game of golf then there will no doubt be many clubs in the area that will stay open

But you aren’t being forced to do anything , you aren’t required to go to work or sit and watch the funeral , you can go out and enjoy yourself if you wish - nothing is compulsory

D-S

Visit site
Our club, like almost all in the country, closes on Christmas Day. However some people do have 9 holes in the morning if it is a nice day. There is no prohibition and, of course, no one to enforce it if there was one.

Yorkhacker

Visit site

The Queen the head of state has passed away , she is one of the most iconic figures around the world and our head of state

So for her funeral it’s been declared a bank holiday so that businesses can close to allow their staff to make their choice on if they want to go to London or watch the funeral etc - it’s not something that is compulsory it’s a choice what people do - also schools will be closed so people will need to look after kids

Now it’s called a bank holiday but it’s not your late summer bank holiday where everyone gets in the car and hits the beach or a bank holiday

Now golf clubs are just like all those other businesses, they have staff who may want to respect the day so many will be closing their clubhouse and shops and will also close the course - it’s not been done to stop you going for a game of golf the clubs will have done it because they think it’s the right thing to do

If you don’t think that’s right then tell them and if you are that desperate for a game of golf then there will no doubt be many clubs in the area that will stay open

But you aren’t being forced to do anything , you aren’t required to go to work or sit and watch the funeral , you can go out and enjoy yourself if you wish - nothing is compulsory

Patronising, much.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site

The queen's death has been the stuff of dreams for your average virtue signaler.

D

Deleted member 15344

Patronising, much.
It was an appropriate answer to the question posed

The queen's death has been the stuff of dreams for your average virtue signaler.

Wouldn’t know ?‍♂️

or maybe people are genuine in their actions towards what has happened recently

Unless those thousands queuing are just there to get their picture taken

I guess it has also allowed all those “militants” to come to the fore as well - the ones that call every brainwashed or was it radicalised someone keeps saying

Last edited by a moderator:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe some folks need to take a step back here, and try to place in others shoes.

there are some on here that would have fought for Queen and country. The queen is held in high regard, means something, is the ultimate. these people have devoted some/most/all of their adult life to protect the Queen, and the ideals she stood for.
The funeral day will be a day to remember, to pay respects. I stand with Phil and believe that folks should be taking the day to reflect on the life of a great person.

to others, they simply don’t care. They get a free day off from work and want to play golf. Absolutely fine if you want to do this. The world will continue to rotate. Day will become night. It won’t stop if you do.

D

Deleted member 29109

Clubhouse, pro shop and range closed. Course open only to members.

A sensible decision.