Wike Ridge

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys, not posted in a while.
I am playing a knockout match at Wike ridge tomorrow and just wondering if anybody knew anything about the course as there is not much info online?
Any info would be greatly appreciated as the guy I am playing is a member there :)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
We use the driving range up there quite a bit through winter - but it's years since I played the course.

There are a few videos on You Tube - including this one from the Golfmates archives.

I think it's fairly steady round there - best of luck.

D

Deleted member 1740

Hi Guys, not posted in a while.
I am playing a knockout match at Wike ridge tomorrow and just wondering if anybody knew anything about the course as there is not much info online?
Any info would be greatly appreciated as the guy I am playing is a member there :)

Welcome back mate, @2blue is a member and former captain there if my memory serves me right.

Send him a PM, i'm sure he'll respond.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I haven’t played there for a few years, but as far as I remember it’s not too difficult and pretty much all laid out in front of you. There was plenty of space off most tees, but a few holes have a tight OB in play.

The greens were never particularly fast.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 2nd is
a) very long 620yds+
b) R to L curve with OB tight right.
c) Not a pleasant hole to play

Other than than that, a few hilly holes and water. Nice scenery and views.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys, watched a video from a couple of months ago. Greens looked slow, I hope they are faster tomorrow!!
Hi.. as Stu says, I've been there for the past 10 years. & Club Captain last year
Who is it you're playing against & what tees will you use? Looks like, thro BRS, you're booked in for either am or pm..... big difference in those 2 players, for a number of reasons. AM guy is a really big hitter..... PM guy rarely plays in Club Comps. :unsure:
As Rulefan says (& he was part of the rating team for our WHS assessments) the 2nd is a pig of a hole where the biggest priority is keeping the ball in play as it slopes severely from L to R.
I've found that if you're giving shots you need to get on your game very quickly & make every effort to get shots up during the front 9 as otherwise from 13th on you'll be vulnerable, especially off the Yellows.
The course is in good nick at the moment with greens accepting a ball & a reasonable speed. The biggest down side is the variability of the bunkers & their sand.
There are a few holes where you can easily, unnecessarily, over club & bring bunkers into play depending on wind direction & strength ....... tee shots on the 1st, 3rd, 6th, 10th, 11th & your 2nd shot on the 17th where there's a ditch across the corner of the dog-leg.
I'll add a copy of the score card as Yellow & white hole indexes are different. DM if you want more info.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi.. as Stu says, I've been there for the past 10 years. & Club Captain last year
Who is it you're playing against & what tees will you use? Looks like, thro BRS, you're booked in for either am or pm..... big difference in those 2 players, for a number of reasons. AM guy is a really big hitter..... PM guy rarely plays in Club Comps. :unsure:
As Rulefan says (& he was part of the rating team for our WHS assessments) the 2nd is a pig of a hole where the biggest priority is keeping the ball in play as it slopes severely from L to R.
I've found that if you're giving shots you need to get on your game very quickly & make every effort to get shots up during the front 9 as otherwise from 13th on you'll be vulnerable, especially off the Yellows.
The course is in good nick at the moment with greens accepting a ball & a reasonable speed. The biggest down side is the variability of the bunkers & their sand.
There are a few holes where you can easily, unnecessarily, over club & bring bunkers into play depending on wind direction & strength ....... tee shots on the 1st, 3rd, 6th, 10th, 11th & your 2nd shot on the 17th where there's a ditch across the corner of the dog-leg.
I'll add a copy of the score card as Yellow & white hole indexes are different. DM if you want more info.
Hi thanks for that.
Guy I am playing is called Ramesh, we are teeing off at 10am and I presume we will be playing off yellow tees. I will be giving him 11 shots. It is a knockout organised through the society we are both members of but due to me not been able to play at the next event we are playing it outside a society day.
Thanks for the scorecard that will be a big help and the info on the tee shots.
Win or lose I am looking forward to it as it is a course I have never played and the weather looks like it is going to play ball at the moment

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi thanks for that.
Guy I am playing is called Ramesh, we are teeing off at 10am and I presume we will be playing off yellow tees. I will be giving him 11 shots. It is a knockout organised through the society we are both members of but due to me not been able to play at the next event we are playing it outside a society day.
Thanks for the scorecard that will be a big help and the info on the tee shots.
Win or lose I am looking forward to it as it is a course I have never played and the weather looks like it is going to play ball at the moment
It's looking like a good match-up & neither of the people I thought you were with. Given him, 11 means you must get in early with your scoring & don't ever feel you have a cushion as you will regret it on the
back 9. All the best & let us know how it went.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for your help 2blue but unfortunately my inabilty to hit greens cost me. I lost 4 and 3 but the guy I was playing would have scored 37 points if we had been playing stableford so I would have struggled to beat him anyway.
The course was in decent condition but I found a few bare lies when missing the green so ball was sat down on soil in bushy grass which made it hard to chip.
Really enjoyed the course though as it provides a good challenge and variety of holes but I think I would find it easier to score if I played it again now I know the course a bit better

Attachments

• Wike Ridge.png
    Wike Ridge.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 3

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great effort as it sounds he had a good round.
Ah yes... bare lies around some of the greens are yet another of the course weaknesses.