County Championships

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We are unusual in that our County championships for Nairn-shire only has two clubs in it. But the last few years the numbers taking part has fallen to levels that it is no longer viable so this years has been cancelled.

We are not the first to lose it, Inverness -shire hasn't had one for a few years now and they have 10 clubs.

with the number of Cat 1 players at both our clubs you would think it would be full, but alas, the last two years have been 30 ish taking part from 600 reg playing members.

my understanding is that 36 holes in a day is now too much for the younger guys with family's and other things to do. Last time i played it a couple of years ago. i left at 8am and didn't get home again until after 9pm so literally the whole day.

So how is your county champ doing and what are the numbers taking part like ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
61 players in the Suffolk Amateur Championships at the weekend.(36 holes in a Day).

In last years Suffolk Open (pros and amatuers) there were 50 entrants.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Dorset is 36 holes on the Friday then the top 16 go through to matchplay over the weekend. The numbers entering seems very much dependent the venue. Some years it ballots out, others it struggles to get a decent field.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you think how many clubs, and how many players, there must be in Surrey, it came as a bit if a surprise to learn that just 65 players entered. But then again, it was a three day event which l guess does rather impact things? 36 hole strokeplay on Friday, with the top sixteen going through to matchplay knockout rounds over the weekend.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
considering the limitations on population and clubs We are not as bad as i thought then. I was envisaging some of those down south would be in the Hundreds taking part and a ballot in place

D

Deleted member 15344

Only about 30 odd in ours and it was hosted at our place. I was strongly against it as I don’t believe a golf course should be shut to its members for a whole weekend and for such little numbers , plus members who wanted to play had to pay to play their own course. A club gains nothing from hosting them and the surrounding clubs offer very little tee times to the affected members. Hopefully won’t see them hosted at ours again

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only about 30 odd in ours and it was hosted at our place. I was strongly against it as I don’t believe a golf course should be shut to its members for a whole weekend and for such little numbers , plus members who wanted to play had to pay to play their own course. A club gains nothing from hosting them and the surrounding clubs offer very little tee times to the affected members. Hopefully won’t see them hosted at ours again

I seriously dont get this, any club who provided entrants should be automatically offering a handful of tee times to members of the host club, that said Beds golf is and always seems to have been a bit of an odd one (partly due to its lack of decent tracks i expect)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dorset 2017

Amateur Championship 56 players

Stroke play Championship 38 players

There are over 30 clubs in the county

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This year was the 1st time since 2008 that I didn't enter ours. Still not fit enough to do 36 holes competitively yet after my forced sabbatical. Was a lower than normal entry this year too. Like Gordon said above, probably to do with the venue.

D

Deleted member 15344

I seriously dont get this, any club who provided entrants should be automatically offering a handful of tee times to members of the host club, that said Beds golf is and always seems to have been a bit of an odd one (partly due to its lack of decent tracks i expect)

Well some venues offered no tee times at all

One venue which has two courses offered one tee times at 3 on the Saturday and on their weaker course

Another course offered one tee time on Sunday at 4:30

A couple of the other courses offered some decent times

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well some venues offered no tee times at all

One venue which has two courses offered one tee times at 3 on the Saturday and on their weaker course

Another course offered one tee time on Sunday at 4:30

A couple of the other courses offered some decent times

I understand JOG not as they dont totally handicap their own members when they host stuff (albeit they prob host more than their fair share?), wouldve expected you could get a game at the likes of DD, AG, SB etc no issue, obviously not :(

btw did you get my email?

D

Deleted member 15344

JoG still don’t host their own fair share - we have hosted 6 county events in the past 4 years with 4 of them closing the course at the weekends-

Nothing at DD , one at AG which was the one on Sunday , nothing at SB

Millbrook offered 3 each day , same with Luton Hoo and Beds and County.

Some of the smaller places have loads

Yep got your email earlier - trying to sort out a game now

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
JoG still don’t host their own fair share - we have hosted 6 county events in the past 4 years with 4 of them closing the course at the weekends-

Nothing at DD , one at AG which was the one on Sunday , nothing at SB

Millbrook offered 3 each day , same with Luton Hoo and Beds and County.

Some of the smaller places have loads

Yep got your email earlier - trying to sort out a game now

yeah thats awful, surely it cant be hard for the county to get all the clubs to sign up to offering 2 or 3 times each day to the host club can it?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've never had great numbers, for as long as I've been playing in it anyway. But this year was the second year of playing only 18 holes qualifying rather than 36 in a day. There are pros and cons of each but there were noticeably more entries for the 18 hole version. It remains to be seen whether the county choose to go back to 36 or make a permanent shift to 18.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dorset also has a 36 hole stroke play event, it's held a couple of months after the county champ's. If you play in both then the 72 holes (36 from county champ's and 36 from stroke plays) are combined to give another trophy. This year the stroke plays are at Parkstone. Cost is £36 for two rounds and some lunch so I imagine this event will have a ballot and will be a full field of 72 players.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We've never had great numbers, for as long as I've been playing in it anyway. But this year was the second year of playing only 18 holes qualifying rather than 36 in a day. There are pros and cons of each but there were noticeably more entries for the 18 hole version. It remains to be seen whether the county choose to go back to 36 or make a permanent shift to 18.

I think there is something about it having to be 36 holes as far as i know.

But by the look of things numbers a pretty poor from the replies.

Maybe time for a change all around, i'd imagine changing to 18 would allow more to play in ours.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
The county champs is quite a big deal in Lancashire.
over 130 entries at West Lancs a couple of weeks ago, no surprise with 142 clubs locally in the LGU.