Could sports direct/direct golf be good for golf.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I always like to think that I can sit on a fence and get splinters on me butt before making a decision.
Now I know that reading on here that sports direct do not have many golfer friends, probably even less now they have bought direct golf, however.
The fact remains that sports direct do sell more sports gear than any other company in the UK. And they sell it cheap.

Relate that to golf.
If we are honest it is not the cheapest sport to play. It is not the cheapest sport to set yourself up with gear either. However that has now changed. The cost of setting yourself up with golf gear has now got cheaper with more options than previously.
If that is the case, someone who has got into golf will not stick with his Dunlop fairway finder clubs at £8 each before he moves onto higher marquee gear ( game improver) which he won't get in sports direct/ direct golf.
Again people who never set foot on a golf course but have an interest may well visit courses.
kids will see golf sets in shops and want cheap sets which may cause an interest.

Not saying it will, not saying it won't. But.

Could sports direct/ golf direct be good for Golf in the UK ?

Someone must think so, or they would not of bought Direct golf.

off to get me popcorn.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If by good for golf my course will be littered with Dunlop wearing chavs not repairing their pitchmarks and chomping round in 130 shots, then yes i do. ;)

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to agree. Starter sets and cheap clothing done the job for me when I started playing a few years ago. Replaced it all now, but got me up and running to see if I could play as often as I would like.

Puter Putter

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep, everyone's gotta start somewhere and with 3 budding young golfers in my family, cost is always a consideration.
Kitted mine out from Golf Clothing Direct which often has a good sale on, for clubs and trolleys as well as golfing gear too.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most starter or cash limited golfers would be better off buying half decent second hand kit rather than new crap stuff. Some of the cheap entry level stuff are a false economy.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
OK. Plenty of cheap shirts available too. And Westie and Clarkey don't really wear Dunlop, by the way.

So they both wear a different branded shirt but with Dunlops logo's on, is that not false representation which could be said to be deceiving the watching public and fans into buying the same, which it isn't in truth?

How do you know this?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So they both wear a different branded shirt but with Dunlops logo's on, is that not false representation which could be said to be deceiving the watching public and fans into buying the same, which it isn't in truth?

How do you know this?

Quite similar to them using x brand's driver in y brand's headcover which we know happens all over the place.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

How do you know this?

Lee Westwood's shirts clearly have the Antigua logo on the sleeve and I'm sure I have seen ad's saying "Lee Westwood Dunlop Collection brought to you by Antigua" or similar

Don't know what Darren Clarke wears

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Lee Westwood's shirts clearly have the Antigua logo on the sleeve and I'm sure I have seen ad's saying "Lee Westwood Dunlop Collection brought to you by Antigua" or similar

Don't know what Darren Clarke wears

Never really heard of or come across the Antigua brand so seeing a badge of it on Lee or anyone I would have assumed (horrible word) that it was a holiday advert!

Every days a learning day
:thup:

D

Deleted member 18121

They've bought an existing company that will continue to sell what was already on Sale.... its not new. Nothing will change.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never really heard of or come across the Antigua brand so seeing a badge of it on Lee or anyone I would have assumed (horrible word) that it was a holiday advert!

Every days a learning day
:thup:

Funnily enough you can buy Antigua golf clothing at SD.

As for holidaying in Antigua, I can recommend it 👍

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Funnily enough you can buy Antigua golf clothing at SD.

As for holidaying in Antigua, I can recommend it 

A couple of sites with the Antigua brand being promoted I found, was coincidently being promoted alongside Slazenger!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It fills a niche, just like some prefer Sunderland waterproofs to GG's. And if it brings more people to the game, great.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Dunlop polos, unless of course you are a golfing snob, paying 5 times the price for the same bit of stitching.