Is Golf now too expensive???

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
£3 for 9 holes at my local course. Free golf for the under 16's.
Charity shop clubs as cheap as chips
Only real expense is golf balls and pro rata they are miles cheaper than in the past.
No, golf is not an expensive game.
It becomes expensive if you want it to be.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ever thought about taking up golf as your main pastime?

Here is what you can look forward to over the next 3 years.

£4,000 membership fees for next 3 years.
£3,000 for a set of golf clubs.
£500 for bag and non-motorised trolley.
£200 for winter carry bag.
£300 for pairs of shoes.
£1,200 for lessons, balls, competition entry fees, other clothing and sundries for 3 years.

That is a commitment of over £3,000 for each of the next 3 years.

Then you will need new clubs and shoes.

Any takers?

You could make some savings by purchasing second hand equipment, but you will be made fun of or looked down upon by many.

Then there is the huge amount of your time that it takes up away from your family and non-golfing friends and relatives.

Maybe forget about golf and put in a few hours of overtime each month instead, eh?
End up being £5,000 a year better off.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

£300 for pairs of shoes.
£1,200 for lessons, balls, competition entry fees, other clothing and sundries for 3 years.

Any takers?

You could make some savings by purchasing second hand equipment, but you will be made fun of or looked down upon by many.

Then there is the huge amount of your time that it takes up away from your family and non-golfing friends and relatives.

Maybe forget about golf and put in a few hours of overtime each month instead, eh?

Worth every penny

Albo

Visit site

£300 for pairs of shoes.

Any takers?

Eh?
Really?

I could break this down line by line but I won’t, all I will say is, absolutely horlicks
Unless I’m missing something, which is likely

Albo

Visit site
Eh?
Really?

I could break this down line by line but I won’t, all I will say is, absolutely horlicks
Unless I’m missing something, which is likely
Apologies for any offence caused by my reply in taking the above post seriously.

The joke was some way above my head in this instance.
My bad

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

£300 for pairs of shoes.

Any takers?

£3k a year sounds reasonable to me. Only I don’t pay anything like that. Has anyone really made fun of or looked down on someone for buying second hand? How would you know?

I’ve got a bag full of current or previous generation clubs from top brands that cost me less than £1k.
A trolley bag, carry bag, pencil bag and electric trolley with 36 hole battery were less than £500. All could have passed for new.

7 lesson pack was £200

Playing golf or spending more time at work? That’s a tough one ?
Especially as I don’t get paid overtime!

It’s one of my hobbies so I’m more than happy to pay for it. I could do it a lot cheaper if I needed to.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I'll try, I really will. ;)

But I thought the line, "You could make some savings by purchasing second hand equipment, but you will be made fun of or looked down upon by many." gave it all away.

He might not yet be fully versed your dark arts of 1960s blades and full sets of irons for £10 etc etc :ROFLMAO:

Mandofred

Visit site
The fact that it was all tongue-in-cheek, maybe?

No offence taken whatsoever. How could I possibly...;)
And yet.....I half agreed with your post. A little on the high side in costs.....but not all that much. Yeah...you can go out and buy 2nd/3rd hand.....but most don't. You can also play a ball until the cover comes off (I rarely lose balls).....but I change when they get decently marked up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You literally took the graph I was going to share out of my mouth :D In a similar situation myself and in a matter of months potential payments have shot up £400-odd

For someone who I am assuming was born in 98 they should know better. I don't know anybody on anywhere near a £80 phone contract and a "top of the range" PCP car. Also how long ago do you think 1985 was? Planes were a thing...

Also in the 1980s couples were eligible for Mortgage Interest Relief At Source (MIRAS) reducing the tax burden.
Should never assume on here :p
I was born in 1957 won my first Clubchampionship in 98.
so I have seen it all for 65 yrs.
when I left school there were no jobs so no cash so no mortgage.
now there are lots of jobs but they pay pittance wages the workplace has changed massively.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not everyone has top of range car on PCP and £80 a month phones? Very uncommon . £30 maybe?

There was a chart of interest adjusted for inflation and cost of everything

3% interest now is 14.8% of the 80s..

View attachment 46082

My colleague is completing on her new house very soon she had to continue with the buy as she didn't fix her mortgage when it ended as she wanted to move so she would have ended up £400 pcm worse off pulling the plug on the move.. mortgage on the new place has gone up £500 to what she had priced up when the moving process starting over a year ago
I never said everyone.
but ones I have refitted houses for have
they drive their Mercs and Bms while on the phone.
admit £80 was a bit high.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never said everyone.
but ones I have refitted houses for have
they drive their Mercs and Bms while on the phone.
admit £80 was a bit high.

Yet can they afford to live in said houses or are they renting?

Always a very poor arguement for me from those who look down on this generation about the cars and phones , holidays etc when renting. But the bank's don't deem people being able to afford a house even though can afford a mortgage . Yes people can go without for say 5 years to scrimp to save a deposit to buy a house ... But for some what kind of life is that?? To scrimp to pay the man to own a house that when you die is when you see the benefit from.. the system is broken and prices are out of control. Its nothing to do with the fact they have phones holidays and cars that the price is out of control .. people are free to enjoy their money how they see fit