Is Golf now too expensive???

rystaman

Visit site
I paid £18000 for mine in late 70s it’s £280,000now.
no wonder young people are struggling to get on the ladder.

In this position now even though me and my partner earn quite healthy salaries for our age. Parents just don't get it when they bought a 3-bed semi for 30k (1x their combined annual income) in 1985 which is now worth 300k...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In this position now even though me and my partner earn quite healthy salaries for our age. Parents just don't get it when they bought a 3-bed semi for 30k (1x their combined annual income) in 1985 which is now worth 300k...
Yes but did they have £80 a month phone contracts.
top range cars on PCPs.
holidays abroad.
I think not.
but like footballers it’s hard to generalise between generations.
at the time that was a lot of money to them, plus interest rates were sky high like now was the norm.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
top range cars on PCPs.
holidays abroad.
I think not.
at the time that was a lot of money to them, plus interest rates were sky high like now was the norm.

Without trying to sound old, when we bought our first house in 1978, everything was second hand including fridge, cooker and washing machine. Our TV was a 14" black and white and we didn't have a stereo system. Anything we bought was paid in cash and we had nothing on credit.

Jason.H

Visit site
My mum and dad said they bought their 1st house in 1970 for £4k. They had a bank loan, which they had paid off within 4years. So basically mortgage free from the age of 25.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
top range cars on PCPs.
holidays abroad.
I think not.

Not everyone has top of range car on PCP and £80 a month phones? Very uncommon . £30 maybe?

There was a chart of interest adjusted for inflation and cost of everything

3% interest now is 14.8% of the 80s..

20230120_071209.jpg

My colleague is completing on her new house very soon she had to continue with the buy as she didn't fix her mortgage when it ended as she wanted to move so she would have ended up £400 pcm worse off pulling the plug on the move.. mortgage on the new place has gone up £500 to what she had priced up when the moving process starting over a year ago

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
So Callaway bring out a new driver RRP of £599!

Turnberry summer green fee £475.

Utter madness. Wasn't that long ago you could get yourself a very nice set of irons for £600 new. My second course (which is a wee smasher and always in great condition) is over £200 cheaper than a single round at Turnberry.
I'm just about to drop over £1k on a set of irons, not a nice feeling. New irons and gear should be a joyous feeling not one that has you questioning your sanity.

At what point do customers say enough is enough?

I fully appreciate consumer choice, buy second hand, buy cheaper brands etc but ultimately for me the price of golf has hit crazy heights in the last few years and sadly shows no sign of plateauing.
Yes, golf is quite expensive.
But so are lots of other things.
Take housing costs for example - please discuss.

rystaman

Visit site
Not everyone has top of range car on PCP and £80 a month phones? Very uncommon . £30 maybe?

There was a chart of interest adjusted for inflation and cost of everything

3% interest now is 14.8% of the 80s..

View attachment 46082

My colleague is completing on her new house very soon she had to continue with the buy as she didn't fix her mortgage when it ended as she wanted to move so she would have ended up £400 pcm worse off pulling the plug on the move.. mortgage on the new place has gone up £500 to what she had priced up when the moving process starting over a year ago

You literally took the graph I was going to share out of my mouth :D In a similar situation myself and in a matter of months potential payments have shot up £400-odd

For someone who I am assuming was born in 98 they should know better. I don't know anybody on anywhere near a £80 phone contract and a "top of the range" PCP car. Also how long ago do you think 1985 was? Planes were a thing...

Also in the 1980s couples were eligible for Mortgage Interest Relief At Source (MIRAS) reducing the tax burden.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Although the talk of housing costs, etc may seem annoying to some it is very much linked to the cost of golf. If your mortgage and household bills go up, along with the price of golf membership and new equipment going up, something has to give. Less disposable income means leisure such as golf will seem too expensive

Swango1980

Visit site
Although the talk of housing costs, etc may seem annoying to some it is very much linked to the cost of golf. If your mortgage and household bills go up, along with the price of golf membership and new equipment going up, something has to give. Less disposable income means leisure such as golf will seem too expensive
Accusations that golf is for the elite. It certainly isn't now, most golfers I know are far far away from being considered elite.

Maybe it was decades ago, if being a member was very expensive relative to income? Maybe fewer clubs out there to join?

So, where will we be in 5 years, 10 years, etc? Will golf become more and more unaffordable? Fewer people play, more courses close? Will golf, once again, become a sport for the elite? The only people who can afford such a hobby?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Accusations that golf is for the elite. It certainly isn't now, most golfers I know are far far away from being considered elite.

Maybe it was decades ago, if being a member was very expensive relative to income? Maybe fewer clubs out there to join?

So, where will we be in 5 years, 10 years, etc? Will golf become more and more unaffordable? Fewer people play, more courses close? Will golf, once again, become a sport for the elite? The only people who can afford such a hobby?
Never said such a thing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Gullane 1 now £250 ??????
Lytham £315 ( I'm sure that's almost trebled from what I paid a few years back)

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Sadly/happily golf plays a huge part in my life. Being retired, its the main thing i get out of bed for.
This year in particular, its costing me a 'fortune'. I'm 60 in a couple of weeks, so getting fitted for a new set of irons for my birthday and 12 of us are going out for dinner, my treat. Going to St Andrews for 3 days in March with 8 guys, my first ever golf trip. Not playing St Andrews old, but playing Elie, Castle and Eden.
Also got to buy a tuxedo for the captains signoff dinner, as well as the cost of the dinner and subs on top of this.
All in all an expensive start to the year with more to come.
However, this is all my choice. I dont have to get a new set of irons, I dont have to take people out for dinner, i dont have to go to St Andrews etc. The only thing i have to do is pay my subs, or go to a cheaper club.

Financially i would be much better off if i didnt play golf, but my life would be a lot poorer without it. Joining a golf club has brought me out of my introverted, unsociable shell, and given me so much pleasure.

Is golf too expensive? I guess that depends on your circumstances and what you value. Luckily for me, it will never be too expensive.