Is Golf now too expensive???

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I meant green fees, not membership fees.This is what I posted in the annual fees thread after SILH quoted that annual fees at Filton GC in 1984 were £365 “Interesting on your memory of costs nearly 40 years ago. They have therefore just about trebled in this period (£1150 now) - I wonder what green fees at top courses were 39 years ago - I know I could play TOC for £36 in the late 90s - the New and Jubilee were £20 - so about an 8 fold increase in 25 years. I remember Ferndown being £40 in the mid 2000s to £160 now so that is a four fold increase in under 20 years, Porthcawl was a bit cheaper now £170.”

Have they though? Using your example of the membership costing £365, and whacking it into the Bank of England calculator….in todays money it is the equivalent of £1090

Attachments

• BE2AC536-E11C-4803-8688-56EBA8B57860.jpeg
    BE2AC536-E11C-4803-8688-56EBA8B57860.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 4

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I meant green fees, not membership fees.This is what I posted in the annual fees thread after SILH quoted that annual fees at Filton GC in 1984 were £365 “Interesting on your memory of costs nearly 40 years ago. They have therefore just about trebled in this period (£1150 now) - I wonder what green fees at top courses were 39 years ago - I know I could play TOC for £36 in the late 90s - the New and Jubilee were £20 - so about an 8 fold increase in 25 years. I remember Ferndown being £40 in the mid 2000s to £160 now so that is a four fold increase in under 20 years, Porthcawl was a bit cheaper now £170.”

What were people earning back then? Without looking I would guess the average weekly wage was around £175. It’s now just over £600. So around the same increase.

Was the old course really £36 or was that a special rate? I do think it’s gone up more recently as it’s been marketed as somewhere more special than it actually is.

Swango1980

Visit site
Wow! Must have been seriously lovely houses, if that was more than 50 years ago.
The 1970s saw average house prices more than quadruple in those ten years from about £4,000 in 1970 to near £20,000 at the end of the decade.
Very nice houses indeed. Thankfully, growing up as a kid, I spent a good amount of time at them (round corner from each other), so at least I benefited to some extent I suppose.

A house for £4,000, I guess it is true sometimes when they say the good old days. Even in today's money, that's about £50,000. Decent.

I bet annual golf club membership at Wentworth was about £50

D-S

Visit site
Have they though? Using your example of the membership costing £365, and whacking it into the Bank of England calculator….in todays money it is the equivalent of £1090
Exactly my point, over 40 years membership fees have kept pace with inflation but green fees at the courses I mention have massively outstripped inflation. Green fees at lower ranked normal clubs have kept pace with or under performed inflation over the same period.

D-S

Visit site
What were people earning back then? Without looking I would guess the average weekly wage was around £175. It’s now just over £600. So around the same increase.

Was the old course really £36 or was that a special rate? I do think it’s gone up more recently as it’s been marketed as somewhere more special than it actually is.
If you read the post is says that membership fees have increased three fold over 40 years, so about right but the green fees at the courses mentioned have increased four fold over 20 years.
The £36 green fee at the Old Course was not a special rate , it was through the ballot and the New and Jubilee were the price on the day. Again just over 20 years ago, not 40 as the membership increase.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly my point, over 40 years membership fees have kept pace with inflation but green fees at the courses I mention have massively outstripped inflation. Green fees at lower ranked normal clubs have kept pace with or under performed inflation over the same period.

For sure. I don’t have any issue with clubs charging what they charge. People will pay it, or they won’t.
Clubs will need to balance having visitors and ensuring members have plenty of tee times. Raising the price may allow them to take limited visitors, but charging more for them.

There’s no point in comparing green fees from 25 years ago as much has changed in agronomy, challenges faced etc.

D-S

Visit site
For sure. I don’t have any issue with clubs charging what they charge. People will pay it, or they won’t.
Clubs will need to balance having visitors and ensuring members have plenty of tee times. Raising the price may allow them to take limited visitors, but charging more for them.

There’s no point in comparing green fees from 25 years ago as much has changed in agronomy, challenges faced etc.
That doesn’t explain the discrepancy in green fee inflation between clubs at the higher and lower end of the charging rates.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That doesn’t explain the discrepancy in green fee inflation between clubs at the higher and lower end of the charging rates.

Maybe there are now more people who are able and willing to spend more to play top courses?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Very nice houses indeed. Thankfully, growing up as a kid, I spent a good amount of time at them (round corner from each other), so at least I benefited to some extent I suppose.

A house for £4,000, I guess it is true sometimes when they say the good old days. Even in today's money, that's about £50,000. Decent.

I bet annual golf club membership at Wentworth was about £50
£34,500 for me and Mrs V in 1987 for the house we continue to live in.
But "the good old days" came shortly after when mortgage rates rocketed, but we just got by with two full-time wages and no kids.
Others were not so fortunate. Devastating to have your house repossessed and sold for far less than you paid, because house prices slumped during the chaos.

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe the Tiger effect and significant improvements to broadcasting has vastly multiplied the number of people who play golf (and general population growth)? Therefore, there are more people about willing to pay higher green fees? Only so many players a club can get on a course, so they probably can't just benefit by having more visitors, so instead they put up fees?

Especially the prestigious courses. I know a lot of new courses came along in lady 20 or so years, and many of those could help cater for those who generally don't pay as much? Compete for visitors and members by having lower prices?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Prices of Ferraris will go up more than the price of a Dacia.

Better courses can charge more money to play them. If there is a market, they can charge it.

D-S

Visit site
Prices of Ferraris will go up more than the price of a Dacia.

Better courses can charge more money to play them. If there is a market, they can charge it.
Well of course the law of supply and demand applies and obviously they can charge what they like in a free market. However, the question is “Is golf too expensive?” and my response is that due to skewed inflation rates (for a variety of reasons) many top course green fees are now too expensive for me. Thankfully I played more than my fair share of top courses when pricing was more closely aligned with ‘normal‘ green fees.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough.

I think golf has probably been underselling for a long period of time, and it’s now roughly in line with where it should be.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Yesterday I saw a set of irons, very similar to ones I bought 18 months ago for £10, go for £108 on ebay.
That kind of inflation is sickening. :unsure:

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
But "the good old days" came shortly after when mortgage rates rocketed, but we just got by with two full-time wages and no kids.
Others were not so fortunate. Devastating to have your house repossessed and sold for far less than you paid, because house prices slumped during the chaos.

And after advising you that giving them the keys was the best option and all would be fine, they sell the house 30% less than the outstanding mortgage, and then come back after you for the difference..... :eek::mad::censored:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I too bought my first property in 1987…small two bed flat in central Bristol. Cost me £35,000 which was almost exactly 3 x my salary (~£10.5k) plus 10%. Perfect for the single and newly qualified professional systems engineer. And I could afford my golf club membership quite easy back then - though when interest rates hit 15% things weren’t so straightforward (but I’d saved enough to cope).

It was last sold in 2017 for £270,000 and now estimated £325,000 - £397,000 (for a titchy 2 bed flat). What would the me of today have to earn and have saved to buy that little flat. Doubt I’d be able to afford to also join a golf club, never mind play an ‘open’ course.

For me it seems to be that it’s UK housing costs that have made so much unaffordable.

Last edited: