Is Golf now too expensive???

fragar7

Visit site
I began playing golf since the age of 9, starting with Hickory shafts in the 1960's I have spent years when I believed that a new driver or wedge was the answer.

Now, rather than spending £500 on a new driver I spend £25 on a lesson, learnng to hit the one I have properly? The same applies to wedges, £25 for a short game lesson as opposed to £450 for 3 new wedges. If you find a Pro you trust a playing lesson can teach you so much about course manegement and how to reduce your scores on a regular basis

The improvement is noticeable and the game has become more enjoyable as a result.

The cost of playing quality golf courses is high but you can make them affordable by playing in their Open Competitions. For example Royal Montrose is a classsic links course and has a visitors green fee of around £150 but to play it in an Open it's £25 ! It's just a matter or research and planning.

My answer would be get coached to a better game and enjoy it more as a result!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I began playing golf since the age of 9, starting with Hickory shafts in the 1960's I have spent years when I believed that a new driver or wedge was the answer.

Now, rather than spending £500 on a new driver I spend £25 on a lesson, learnng to hit the one I have properly? The same applies to wedges, £25 for a short game lesson as opposed to £450 for 3 new wedges. If you find a Pro you trust a playing lesson can teach you so much about course manegement and how to reduce your scores on a regular basis

The improvement is noticeable and the game has become more enjoyable as a result.

The cost of playing quality golf courses is high but you can make them affordable by playing in their Open Competitions. For example Royal Montrose is a classsic links course and has a visitors green fee of around £150 but to play it in an Open it's £25 ! It's just a matter or research and planning.

A man who thinks as I…yes I know I have just splurged a small fortune on new clubs…but hey…first time I’ve done anything like it in over 50yrs of playing the game so maybe that’s allowed.

And I too started with a mixed bag of hickories and brown painted steel shafts, the four irons I had (and still have) all with punched face clubheads. Perfectly good enough for me to learn how to hit a ball and play the game.

Swango1980

Visit site

That works to a point. Spending a fortune is definitely not going to fix all your problems.

But, I had a friend (typically drove ball just over 200 yards) who went for a lesson. The pro told him he really needed a new driver, as he had bought one with an extra stiff shaft, and it was basically built for an elite golfer with a very fast swing speed. My mate said "it is your job to teach me how to use it". Needless to say, he could never hit it.

I'm no expert, but if anyone out there is using the same sort of driver Ben Hogan would have used, they'd probably benefit significantly with a new driver. But, if they bought a new driver a few years ago, and now think the latest £500 driver will make big improvements, then they are probably living in dreamland :)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It's a tough one. I'm in the Midlands and last year locally only really played some short MyTimeActive courses which were fine for me and cheap as chips (£20 weekend, £15 weekday after work chasing the sunset). To join a local club I'm looking at £1000 membership (under 30) and £500 joining fee and I just can't justify it.

I didn't get to play this many rounds last year but at around 45-ish rounds costing £800 at the muni, I can't really justify the extra £700. Unless anyone on here can sell me on actually joining a club rather than paying as I go?

Plenty of cheap golf around here! My club in Worcester is only £35 a month Under 30's - incredible value for unlimited golf.

rystaman

Visit site
One benefit of joining a club, and frankly this may not appeal to you nor be worth it, is that if you play the Sunday comps, you’ll soon know the vast majority of other players - at least by sight or on an acquaintance level

You’ll be playing essentially with only the people in the Sunday comps…no-one else will be on the course…in the bar, on the course, on the putting green or car park etc. It’ll feel like you’re a member of a ‘club’ - and it’s good for people’s sense of ‘self’ and community, to feel like they know the people around them. Quite important in our increasingly atomised, balkanised world..

Again this may not have any value to you. I fully intended to be a ‘car-park’ golfer, and was attracted to the course and not the club —- but I can see the value in getting involved with the club - as well as using the course

Also very true on this one. The one thing I am missing is a group of friends who also play Golf. The extent of any golf trips have always been with my missus which I feel very grateful for being able to do, but I'd also very much like a group of friends to play with. I'd hope joining a club would help facilitate that but would like to join a club that also has a good cohort of younger members (under 30).

rystaman

Visit site
Plenty of cheap golf around here! My club in Worcester is only £35 a month Under 30's - incredible value for unlimited golf.

A bit far for me that Worcester, I'm around Sutton (potentially up to Walsall Wood in a few months) and something I'm looking for is proximity. My go-to was one of the MyTimeActive courses like a 10-minute drive from my house as I could finish work at 5, zip down there and still get round 18 in 2.5 hours before the sunset. I went on a trip to Wales last year and seeing some of the prices of the memberships made me start looking on Rightmove haha

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
A bit far for me that Worcester, I'm around Sutton (potentially up to Walsall Wood in a few months) and something I'm looking for is proximity. My go-to was one of the MyTimeActive courses like a 10-minute drive from my house as I could finish work at 5, zip down there and still get round 18 in 2.5 hours before the sunset. I went on a trip to Wales last year and seeing some of the prices of the memberships made me start looking on Rightmove haha

The MytimeActive stuff is decent, I work in Lickey and have played the Lickey Hills course a few times which is managed by them!

Midlands golf isn't too expensive, obviously I don't expect you to drive to Worcester but there will be options similar to my place close to you I'm sure! I've been a member 3 years at my club now, I'm included when they arrange away days, team events etc.. all just through playing with various guys in comps etc. and getting to know everyone. The benefits of membership are far more than just no green fees!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Mate of mine was in the mytime membership and mainly played pype hayes. After a couple of years he moved to the bright lights and premier league footballers at Sutton. Lovely course, playable all year round. But a year down the line he realised that he was paying £1800 to play golf 9 months of the year as he doesn’t like the cold and rain! So he’s gone back to mytime and loves it, plays in the comps at pype hayes most weeks, good bunch of lads in the membership, but it means he doesn’t feel like he’s wasting his money if he doesn’t play.

For me the advantage of membership is playing in comps and always having someone to play with. I’d hate to have to go back to being a nomad and having to play on my own if pals couldn’t make it. Everyone’s different though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...is there is a word for "hypocrite" that is meant in jest and as a compliment? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I did caveat it - and I have explained elsewhere how and why it came to pass...and that it wasn't actually of my own instigation.

But yes - you are right...the purchase absolutely went against the grain for me (how I like to view it). But I was told to just do it...well...after all...my lessons with our Head Pro are free (in fact I got an MoT session booked today with him for Thursday :))

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is £300 for a round of golf expensive? Absolutely yes.

Could I afford it? Yes.

Would I pay it? Probably for somewhere I consider spectacular.

Would I pay it to play the old course? Absolutely not.

£300 for 5 hours entertainment isn’t bad value. The fact we can play most of the same course the pros play tournaments on should be celebrated, even if it’s expensive.

Like everything in life, there are things I can afford that others can’t. But there are things I can’t afford that others can. It’s not something I worry or get upset about. I’d love a 911 GT3 RS. I can’t afford one, but I’m not on a Porsche forum crying they should be sold at a price the ordinary man can afford.

Try to book Wembley for a kick about, or Centre Court at Wimbledon, or Lords or to drive an F1 car round Silverstone.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Could I afford it? Yes.

£300 for 5 hours entertainment isn’t bad value. The fact we can play most of the same course the pros play tournaments on should be celebrated, even if it’s expensive.

Like everything in life, there are things I can afford that others can’t. But there are things I can’t afford that others can. It’s not something I worry or get upset about. I’d love a 911 GT3 RS. I can’t afford one, but I’m not on a Porsche forum crying they should be sold at a price the ordinary man can afford.

Try to book Wembley for a kick about, or Centre Court at Wimbledon, or Lords or to drive an F1 car round Silverstone.

5 hours - hope I'm never stuck behind you.

D-S

Visit site

Could I afford it? Yes.

I think the issue is more that the top end and mid rank top 100 courses have suddenly upped their fees dramatically. The degree of ‘unaffordabilty’ of a Porsche has always been roughly the same but this has changed dramatically in top golf fees recently. Many prices have quadrupled in the last 10 or so years which isn’t the case with many other luxuries.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think the issue is more that the top end and mid rank top 100 courses have suddenly upped their fees dramatically. The degree of ‘unaffordabilty’ of a Porsche has always been roughly the same but this has changed dramatically in top golf fees recently. Many prices have quadrupled in the last 10 or so years which isn’t the case with many other luxuries.

Quadrupled!? :eek:

Were people that are now paying £1,000 membership fee, only paying about £250 in many cases to be a member of the same club in 2013? Lucky devils back then, that sounds a right bargain. Maybe golf was just underselling itself a decade ago?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Were people that are now paying £1,000 membership fee, only paying about £250 in many cases to be a member of the same club in 2013? Lucky devils back then, that sounds a right bargain. Maybe golf was just underselling itself a decade ago?

Don't know about memberships, but I'd bet some top end green fees have gone up close to that in 10 years. Or at least it feels like it! A quick Google shows Old Course and Kingsbarns have both nearly doubled in 10 years. OC £155 to £295 and Kingsbarns £197 to £374

When you take the "pre Covid" rates of inflation into account, that's outstripping RPI by miles!

Reactions: D-S

D-S

Visit site

I meant green fees, not membership fees.This is what I posted in the annual fees thread after SILH quoted that annual fees at Filton GC in 1984 were £365 “Interesting on your memory of costs nearly 40 years ago. They have therefore just about trebled in this period (£1150 now) - I wonder what green fees at top courses were 39 years ago - I know I could play TOC for £36 in the late 90s - the New and Jubilee were £20 - so about an 8 fold increase in 25 years. I remember Ferndown being £40 in the mid 2000s to £160 now so that is a four fold increase in under 20 years, Porthcawl was a bit cheaper now £170.”

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I meant green fees, not membership fees.This is what I posted in the annual fees thread after SILH quoted that annual fees at Filton GC in 1984 were £365 “Interesting on your memory of costs nearly 40 years ago. They have therefore just about trebled in this period (£1150 now) - I wonder what green fees at top courses were 39 years ago - I know I could play TOC for £36 in the late 90s - the New and Jubilee were £20 - so about an 8 fold increase in 25 years. I remember Ferndown being £40 in the mid 2000s to £160 now so that is a four fold increase in under 20 years, Porthcawl was a bit cheaper now £170.”
I only got on the property ladder 10 or so years ago, but I'm pretty sure you could buy a property for about £50,000 30 years ago, that would cost well over £200,000 in this day and age? I suppose there are a few things in our lives that have shot up rapidly in the last few decades. Always jealous of my grandparents, who got lovely houses 50 to 60 years ago, probably for about £15,000. Ended up being worth hundreds of thousands, not bad in the N Ireland market either.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I only got on the property ladder 10 or so years ago, but I'm pretty sure you could buy a property for about £50,000 30 years ago, that would cost well over £200,000 in this day and age? I suppose there are a few things in our lives that have shot up rapidly in the last few decades. Always jealous of my grandparents, who got lovely houses 50 to 60 years ago, probably for about £15,000. Ended up being worth hundreds of thousands, not bad in the N Ireland market either.
Wow! Must have been seriously lovely houses, if that was more than 50 years ago.
The 1970s saw average house prices more than quadruple in those ten years from about £4,000 in 1970 to near £20,000 at the end of the decade.