Could be Playing Golf by the end of March 2021.

D

Deleted member 15344

So, let me get this straight.....the lockdown is an effort to keep people from moving about and spreading the virus. But professionals aren't privileged and are allowed to move about because this is how they make money? Not privileged? How many people aren't allowed to make money in their jobs because of lockdown? But professional sports people are allowed....and you don't think they are privileged?

There are millions who are still allowed to continue to work during lockdown ?‍♂️

I guess by your definition both me and my wife are privileged because we are still working ?

I suspect you just don’t like the fact that a professional sportsman can carry on doing his job but you can’t rock up to your roll up - one is someone’s job the other is a hobby.

Professional sports allows a lot of people to keep their jobs and to keep the economy going , you will just look at Mr Smith playing in the PGA tour or football without understanding all the work going on behind the scene. Stop professional sports going and lots more people join the furlough scheme

As well as people watching professional sports giving people a bit of mental relief.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
The problem is that, after the first lockdown, golfers did not exactly cover themselves in glory (I know, probably isolated incidents but enough to turn heads). 2 balls joining up as 4 balls after the first hole, groups meeting before the round to arrange roll ups, balls going in the hat etc, Takeaway food eaten outside the clubhouse in groups having a chat, groups eating the takeaway in the car park drinking cans of beer, general poor adherence to social distancing and other rules amongst YouTube golfers, group pictures on social media after rounds, people travelling tens of miles to find a round on a course that would accept visitors. The list goes on and maybe people are not naive enough this time to think that golfers will play the perfectly behaved, socially distanced 2 balls that the promised last time.
Yep. Even recently when driving ranges were allowed to be open (December?), our place operated a strict 1 person to each bay rule. I would say a good 90% of people who went to the range in a group, broke this. This despite the fact that there were signs everywhere, and staff would often tell people verbally too.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes, we are. And it would be stupid to think otherwise. Some people have been ruined by no fault of their own.

It’s not being “privileged” - we don’t have a special advantage over others because we are still working

You could say it’s fortunate or lucky that our work allows us to keep working during these times but it’s not about a privilege.

Definitions are clear - they are also many who are still having to work but also having to home school

I need to work to pay the bills - I’m fortunate that because of things like professional sports etc still going that it allows me and my wife to continue to work.

Imo anyone complaining that they are not allowed to play golf whilst a professional can will be down then just wanting to play and most be the retired lot who were used to playing 5 times a week

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, we are. And it would be stupid to think otherwise. Some people have been ruined by no fault of their own.

Not so much "privileged" as luck of the draw.

A lot of people have done pretty well out of furlough, some getting full pay and not having to do any work. There is always going to be winners and losers as is the case with how people earn their living and pay taxes etc, no Government could help everyone. Some people have been desperately unlucky with this, but no one could foresee it coming but of course the most unlucky ones are the ones that have died and their friends and family who've suffered the loss.

Mandofred

Visit site
There are millions who are still allowed to continue to work during lockdown ?‍♂️ and millions not allowed. What is your point?

I guess by your definition both me and my wife are privileged because we are still working ? Really reaching on this one...

I suspect you just don’t like the fact that a professional sportsman can carry on doing his job but you can’t rock up to your roll up - one is someone’s job the other is a hobby. Kind of...yeah.

Professional sports allows a lot of people to keep their jobs and to keep the economy going , you will just look at Mr Smith playing in the PGA tour or football without understanding all the work going on behind the scene. Stop professional sports going and lots more people join the furlough scheme So where do YOU put the cutoff and being allowed to do something or not?

As well as people watching professional sports giving people a bit of mental relief. That is actually a decent reason...and likely the reason they are allowed to carry on, again....special priviledges
Again.....almost all of this can be filed under "special privileges".

Now...partially I'm just arguing (as you are). I don't really have an issue with elite sports taking place, but I also don't see a good reason why those activities that are safe can't carry on. Professional athletes are regularly caught breaking the rules....and just get to carry on. Yes, I know it's the minority....same as pretty well everything else. Mental health?........You can't just use it when you want to, and then not use it because it doesn't fit your argument. There are tons of people who really miss playing golf (or fill in another activity) and doing those activities is what keeps a whole lot of people from going o_O. Elite sports have always been considered privileged.....heck, regular golf has always been considered privileged (it is).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I am being totally honest, I do not see non members getting to play at most clubs at all this year.
I think my place went about 3 weeks before opening up to visitors again. Visiting parties are a key part of the business plan so there is no way they would block them for long. I'm not sure many clubs in Northumberland went past 4 weeks without visitors being allowed. I don't see why this year would be any different. A few weeks of members only then business as usual.

Mandofred

Visit site
I think my place went about 3 weeks before opening up to visitors again. Visiting parties are a key part of the business plan so there is no way they would block them for long. I'm not sure many clubs in Northumberland went past 4 weeks without visitors being allowed. I don't see why this year would be any different. A few weeks of members only then business as usual.
I agree. Just depends on the course I guess. I wouldn't think the clubs will make any decent money from the food/drinks/rent room out side of things for a LONG time.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thinking about members owned golf clubs. If they reopen with 2 balls, 4 balls, what ever, with no club house, where do they suddenly make money? Members will have paid annual subs, no beer or catering (and even if a serving hatch, who wants to hang about outside in Feb?). No green fees, no societies, just don't get how those who think opening will be good for business. It won't make any difference. If the owner goes bust paying a few greenkeepers wages for a few months, it was probably going bust anyway.

Now, proprietary clubs, for sure. But as a viable business, I am sure that their out goings have been minimised during covid. Rent on hold, rates on hold, staff furloughed, very cheap business loans at present. Nope, can't see why they would close either.

Council owned? Different fish. A good excuse to close and sell to property developers. Probably going to happen anyway.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess if you look at it from a purely financial point of view, golf starting again is actually the worst scenario for some clubs, especially if 2 ball only. On that basis, assuming annual subscriptions are coming in, there would be no extra income from green fees, no bar revenue but staff will need to be brought off furlough at a significant loss to the club. As such, in some cases, having golf back could damage the club more than the current situation.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As this is a common time of year for renewal letters going out, clubs need golf back to encourage is to pay our subs...
This with knobs on. Our letters are due any day, 1st April is first day of the new year / season. If clubs are not open when letters start hitting the floor then they are in big trouble. I can see a good chunk of our members going onto the lifestyle membership and that will mean a big drop in guaranteed income.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again.....almost all of this can be filed under "special privileges".

Now...partially I'm just arguing (as you are). I don't really have an issue with elite sports taking place, but I also don't see a good reason why those activities that are safe can't carry on. Professional athletes are regularly caught breaking the rules....and just get to carry on. Yes, I know it's the minority....same as pretty well everything else. Mental health?........You can't just use it when you want to, and then not use it because it doesn't fit your argument. There are tons of people who really miss playing golf (or fill in another activity) and doing those activities is what keeps a whole lot of people from going o_O. Elite sports have always been considered privileged.....heck, regular golf has always been considered privileged (it is).

If professional sports can’t be played then would you be ok with all those teams and sportsmen and ladies claiming government help with furlough?

The government made a decision about what can continue and want can’t - professional sports could only continue under specific remits -daily testing for example , bubbles etc etc - they haven’t been given carte Blanche to just carry on as normal - its costing some of them a lot of money to keep going

The cut off was determined by the government- you don’t need to play golf to put food on the table , they determined that Amatuer sport could be stopped to help the lockdown - many Amatuer sports would be able to satisfy the level of restrictions professional outfits fall under - daily testing for everyone for example

You also can’t use sporting stars breaking the rules - people from all walks of life have broken the rules including at golf clubs

Yes people miss golf - I do , but golf is my hobby , it doesn’t pay the bills , it’s hard not playing it but then I can go out and have a walk , a professional sportsman needs to play the sport to be able to feed himself and his family

There would be a huge uproar if sports was stopped and they went and claimed furlough as they would be entitled to do

And you need to stop using the definition of privileged to describe people who are very good at a sport - it’s called , talent , ability , hard work , dedication - yes they are fortunate to be able to continue to play but calling them privileged paints the wrong picture

This all boils down to simply you just don’t like the fact they can play golf and you are not allowed to at the moment

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This with knobs on. Our letters are due any day, 1st April is first day of the new year / season. If clubs are not open when letters start hitting the floor then they are in big trouble. I can see a good chunk of our members going onto the lifestyle membership and that will mean a big drop in guaranteed income.

Our email came last night re what the club is offering back from last year. Bottom line I feel a politician has come up with the plan. Subs have gone up and not just a couple of quid but were giving you bits and bobs back ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
If professional sports can’t be played then would you be ok with all those teams and sportsmen and ladies claiming government help with furlough?

The government made a decision about what can continue and want can’t - professional sports could only continue under specific remits -daily testing for example , bubbles etc etc - they haven’t been given carte Blanche to just carry on as normal - its costing some of them a lot of money to keep going

The cut off was determined by the government- you don’t need to play golf to put food on the table , they determined that Amatuer sport could be stopped to help the lockdown - many Amatuer sports would be able to satisfy the level of restrictions professional outfits fall under - daily testing for everyone for example

You also can’t use sporting stars breaking the rules - people from all walks of life have broken the rules including at golf clubs

Yes people miss golf - I do , but golf is my hobby , it doesn’t pay the bills , it’s hard not playing it but then I can go out and have a walk , a professional sportsman needs to play the sport to be able to feed himself and his family

There would be a huge uproar if sports was stopped and they went and claimed furlough as they would be entitled to do

And you need to stop using the definition of privileged to describe people who are very good at a sport - it’s called , talent , ability , hard work , dedication - yes they are fortunate to be able to continue to play but calling them privileged paints the wrong picture

This all boils down to simply you just don’t like the fact they can play golf and you are not allowed to at the moment
I'm not arguing with your sentiments and it might be in the English Premier League (I don't know what their requirements are at the moment) but daily testing isn't required for a lot of sports teams - clubs up here test once or twice a week.

Football has never been anything like a bubble either, players go home after a game - the European Tour's British golf tournaments last year and the NBA/NHL playoffs were bubbles.

As I said I'm not arguing with your sentiments though.

Mandofred

Visit site

I agree to almost all of this....you've got a few things taken out of context....but that seems usual for you.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
During this lockdown my club have redecorated the clubhouse, new carpets, new furniture, and out on the course have done some spring work on the greens, some drainage work, and some pathway work, among other things.
Our subs were due in Jan, and most paid up fine. There were a few drop outs, but there always are.